1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

STADIUM SITE SEARCH : Group proposes deck over terminal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Port panel frowns on possibility of arena

UNION-TRIBUNE

February 2, 2008

<!-- IMAGE TABLE --><TABLE cellPadding=2 width=220 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- BODYTEXT -->
    SAN DIEGO – A proposal to build a
    massive deck over the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal that could support a hotel, a sports arena, a stadium or a park was met with everything from opposition to disbelief yesterday.

San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said he met with members of San Diego Community Solutions, a group touting the privately funded deck, on Wednesday.
    “They had an engineer with them who said they could build the deck with two levels of parking,” Sanders said. “I asked out of curiosity how you could engineer something like this. I'd have to understand it better before I could even have an opinion.”
    The group plans to launch an initiative next week to see if it can gather enough signatures from voters in San Diego, Coronado, Chula Vista, National City and Imperial Beach to qualify the proposal for the November ballot.
    The five cities have representatives on the Port Commission, which operates the cargo terminal southeast of the San Diego Convention Center.
    Attorneys for the San Diego Unified Port District and the State Lands Commission are researching whether an initiative would have legal authority over the bayfront, which has limited uses under state law.
    Scott Maloni, a spokesman for the group, said the ballot measure is aimed at preserving the existing maritime business and advocates the construction of a new cruise ship terminal to replace or supplement existing facilities. The deck is intended to create new parking for downtown, but what goes on top is not a subject of the vote, he said.
    “There is no project associated with the initiative,” he said.
    <!-- BEGIN:SIDEBAR --><!--startclickprintexclude--><TABLE cellPadding=5 width=250 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=15 width=240 bgColor=#dfdfdf border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Overview
    Background: The Chargers want to leave Qualcomm Stadium, where they have played for 40 years, for a new facility. They are focusing on two sites in Chula Vista.
    What's new: A private group will begin a signature-gathering campaign in San Diego, Coronado, National City, Chula Vista and Imperial Beach in support of a plan to erect a massive deck over the Port District's 10th Avenue Marine Terminal. The Port Commission would decide what should be developed atop the deck; options include a stadium, sports arena, park, hotel or convention center. The future: If enough signatures are gathered, the plan would qualify for the November ballot.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--endclickprintexclude--><!-- END:SIDEBAR -->The group includes developer Richard Chase, who has been engaged for years in an effort to bring a new landfill to Gregory Canyon near the Pala Indian Reservation in North County. He was among representatives of the group who met with Sanders and port officials this week.
    Although the group says it is not recommending any specific use, port officials zeroed in on the possibility of a stadium, which they would not support.
    Commission Chairman Michael Bixler of Imperial Beach said a previous effort to put a Chargers stadium at the 10th Avenue terminal was soundly defeated by the commission in 2004, and he would not expect a different outcome this time.
    “For us, maritime business and a working waterfront – including our two cargo terminals and our cruise ship terminal – are our number one priority,” Bixler said. “That's what the state says it should be, and that's what the Port Commission has always said it should be.”
    The 96-acre 10th Avenue facility handles fresh fruit, newspaper, sand, concrete and other products that are shipped to the port and distributed by truck. Chase proposed a deck at the same location in 1998 for a Padres ballpark as part of a $1 billion development, but the Port Commission rejected it. Port spokeswoman Irene McCormack said the federal government has placed severe security restrictions on U.S. ports since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

“Since 9/11, maritime facilities have intense security controls,” McCormack said. “We're wondering how you can control a marine terminal, with limited access, that has a second deck above it that is public all the time.”
    Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani wondered how the deck would be paid for. He said the New York Jets proposed building a deck over a rail yard for a stadium several years ago and were seeking $600 million from the city and state of New York to build it. “The costs of a structure large enough and strong enough to hold a stadium or an arena would be enormous,” Fabiani said.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks for the link, but I find it easier to bang my head with a croquet mallet than read some of the Donna Frye-loving libs that are anti-stadium regardless of the deal.

If I get a chance to vote on it, I will. Otherwise, I am content to watch this play out instead of jumping into the fray.

4. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I guess that's your choice. Thanks anyway.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Chula Vista is a ruse (no major access/freeways).

The Port Authority and Coastal Commissions will shoot down any ball park proposals on the water or involving the terminals.

This leaves the Murph.

It is either the Murph or this team is out of here. As much as it pains me to say it, we better enjoy what may be the last season the Chargers play in San Diego. :bolt:

6. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the optimism. Appreciate it.

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm continually amazed by the apathy that San Diegans show regarding this issue.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I see no optimism in what I posted. None.

Sarcasm does not help as well.

I have been attending the games since the mid 60's and have a deep connection with this team.

Is this fuc't up?

You bet.

If this is their last season in San Diego, then that is the way I am going to approach it and let it all hang out.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is called reality.

Some people may get their ***** hard over the prospect of a stadium on the coast and the reality is that IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Same **** with Chula Juana.

That is the politics of the deal and the Coastal Commission and the Port Authorities have shot down these ideas in the past.

If anyone believes a stadium, other than the Murph, can be built and have all the bare amenties we have presently is diluded.

The call for activism is a noble idea and then when one realizes that pissing in the wind produces the same results, I would rather enjoy my time with the Chargers instead of wishing for something which will never happen and wasting my time.

Is that harsh?

To some it is and some say it is apathetic.

Oh well.

I know it does not make me any less of a fan -apathy notwithstanding. :bolt:

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Mission Valley is the only logical site. The fact that San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders is listening to proposals is a good sign. We must get rid of Aguirre in November. Voting Frey out wouldn't hurt either.

The Chargers are not going anywhere in the near future. Let's go get the Lombardi this season and the new stadium will follow. :yes:

BTW have you seen the new Cowboys stadium? Wow.
    A first class city like San Diego deserves a first class stadium like this.
    http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    they just showed the new indy stadium on the combine nfl network show. Its a marvel as well. Retractable roof and all. I like the way the indy retracts with the panels going sideways. And the ends open up as well so its almost like being outside when its all opened up. http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/LucasOilStadium.htm

12. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately, the Mission Valley site is off the table and I think that the Chargers will reveal their intention to move before the dick head Aguirre is voted out.

13. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    That's cool. Bury your head, just like the fuc't up City Council and Mayor Sanders. It's because of people like you that we will not be rooting for the SAN DIEGO Chargers in '09. Enjoy the '08 season.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not burying anything.

If you want to support this team, then become a season ticket holder and help us sell this whore out instead of relying on the Indian Nations to bail us out at the witching hour.

Mayor Sanders is not as fuc't up as people would like to make him out.

Aguirre is a POS but Sanders is playing hardball (as he should). Some villanize him for saying, "we are not giving anything away" and he should not. Why should he? That is bad business.

Let the Chargers make an offer for the land but has that happened?

No.

That is fuc't up ma man so before you call me out for burying anything, you better have your **** together.

Blogging your *** off does not mean dick.

Get your effing *** to the games and do it for a while and spend your own pocket money doing so and then, then be ready to go postal............

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This whole platform idea is ludicrous. Someone, I forget who, is familiar with geology studies around here. The ground here is not like it is in Manhattan. If you want to pull ideas out of someone's nether reaches, it would make more sense to build the stadium on a floating platform at the far south end of the bay. They've engineered floating airports and the idea of one for San Diego has been "floated" for quite a while. Might even be able to fish during the tail gaters.

16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Really? I know Fabriani has said that MV is off the table but, that doesn't mean anything. He is a lawyer.

Chula Vista has a chance albeit a slim one. IMO, MV is where the new stadium will be built once the political climate changes.

If our city council had any brains they would negotiate the 66 acre give away for a retractable roof stadium that could be used for 200+ events per year like Glendale.

17. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Great gotta fight the fans in the forums too. Like I said, enjoy the '08 season Trumpet Man.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Look dude, I am pretty much a straight shooter on **** and sometimes it comes off as abrasive but at my age, I have little time to tango.

Mission Valley is just about the only spot which makes sense due to the infrastructure already in place.

Everything else which has been proposed - forget it. Oceanside maybe came the close due to the Interstate 5. Anything along the coast will not happen. Period.

If you should be rooting for anything, it would be the formation of another Joint Powers Authority (JPA).

It took this entity (comprised of representatives from all the major cities in the County PLUS the County of San Diego itself - which is VERY well capitalized versus San Diego City) to get Jack Murphy Stadium built.

The VERY first thing to support is the formation of this committee - again - just as we did in the past - to get another stadium built or we can kiss this team goodbye.

Harsh ?

Yeah but that is the way I see it. :bolt:

Go Chargers :bolt:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bingo.

Fabiani was a Bush administration mouth piece brought in to help spin the media versus Dean-o.....or the old man.

The 166 acres is perfect and the goddamn mayor should be playing hardball with the Chargers. Many fans do not see this and tuck tail and do not see the business aspect that the City should be entitled to an offer for the land prior to construction.

I am not sure why MANY fans do not understand this?

Maybe if it was their land that we are talking about fans would get the message ?

Science has no answer. :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

20. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Look, I'm just trying to get people (in SD) to act on this if they want to see the Chargers remain in SD. I didn't mean to call you out and I apologize. Apparently we're cut from the same, or similar, cloth. Obviously you are a smart person and all I'm trying to do is get some smart fans to get involved. In my opinion, a lot of the fans are oblivious to the dire nature of what is going on. All they seem to care about is where MT is getting traded to. I also agree that it's a REALLY poor time in SD's fiscal history to try to get a new stadium but if we (all the fans) don't want to see them go, we need to unite. Not argue. I will continue to try to get people fired up (in a good way) but I can't do it without help in SD. That's why I'm "blogging my *** off".

• Like Like x 1
  21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If we want this team to stay, attend the games. I am more a passionate fan versus anything to do with "smarts" although I am no dummy (I am the prophet). :icon_eek:

Many fans are very well aware of what is at stake. :yes:

I saw Browns fans in their last game here at the Murph and every fan in the parking lot knew the Browns were going to split (now the Ravens). That was probably one of the most fuc't up tailgate parties I could remember because I am fond of playing TAPS for the opposing fans. On that day, I could not play TAPS for Browns fans. I considered it way disrespectful to watch the fan base get their team ripped away from them and then to have someone play TAPS????

I have lived long enough to see their faces and to a certain extent Raider fan who got bastardized from Oakland to LA back to Oakland.

If anything, as I said, write, e-mail, bare your *** to your local COUNTY (the money) Representatives and demand the formation of a JOINT POWERS AUTHORITY.

Anything less will not work. Bank it.

Until this happens, enjoy the games in person...attend a tailgater and throw down a few beers or cokes and spend a shitload of money supporting this team. :bolt:

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I really think that this whole thing is not looking good at this point. San Diego, and California as a whole, is not known for getting things like this done quickly, and since the Chargers are hell bet on getting it done right away or else they'll look elsewhere, I don't have much hope.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Well that is not entirely true.

The cool part about this is the "brinksmanship" being played and it is not as dire as one would assume or the spin doctors would like anyone to believe.

If the County (who is a major player) gets involved, then **** can happen real quickly (see the Murph).

If the Chargers ante up some money for the raw land (166 acres) do you really think the almost bankrupt City of San Diego will say NO? I do not think so but there has never been an offer so we will never know - I guess.

24. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Just for the record, I've been a fan for almost 30 years. I make an annual pilgrimage to the Q (the Murph to me) for the last 20+ years. When I lived in Sac I'd make the 8 hour drive to support the Bolts (the whole way down fighting with the random Faider and 9er fans that were flipping me off because I had 10" letters across the back of the camper shell that said 'Chargers'. (That truck has since been replaced by the Charger blue Silverado with the 24" Chargers sticker on the back glass) I definitely contribute to the SD economy when I'm there too. We (me, my wife, and 2 kids) spend at least 2-3 days in the hotels, pay the tax on the rental car, eat in the fine restaurants in the area, and buy apparel that is unavailable in KS. When I'm not at the Q, I support our local economy when I go the sports bar and buy a **** load of beer to calm my nerves while the Chargers are playing. LOL! I'm not some random blogger that sits at home with the Direct TV dish bringing it to me. So please don't make the assumption to that affect. Okay? Thanks..

25. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    So, basically you pussed out!

Figures.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Where would they move to?
    Now don't get me wrong. I'm aware that the possibility of the Chargers moving outside of San Diego county is very possible but I don't see it happening. Especially for these reasons...
    Mayors of both LA and Anaheim recently turned down seeking NFL sites in their city.
    Sure there's San Antonio but he'll have a tough time winning over Cowboy and Texan fans.
    There are other cities but most of them would not be to Spanos's benefit.
    Best thing Spanos has going is that he is the only NFL team in Southern California and it looks like it will stay that way for at least 10 years. That's at the very minimum too!!!

The Rams moved to St. Louis. Difference St. Louis and San Antonio... St. Louis lost their team and there is no team to compete with in their area.

BTW... We ALL appreciate what you are doing. We're just tired of stressing about it since 2002. I figure I'm just going to keep supporting the team by keeping my season tickets, attending all the home games, hit a road game or two, vote, and maybe attend a few stadium related meetings that are open to the public.
    Not much else I can do.

27. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    As far as the moving, there are plenty of suitors but I don't know where they'd go. Believe me, I hope I'm overreacting and they don't go anywhere, but I can't sit back and let it go down without doing what I can to support my team. Not to mention I have almost 30 years worth of Chargers stuff I won't be able to use anymore! That's a **** load of money! LOL!

I'm a pretty passionate person and I don't like to sit back and watch things happen. I know too many people that sit back and watch and then they're the first to ***** about it happening. I'm not that kind of person. And I can appreciate the whole stressing part. I've been stressing too. Sorry for dredging it up for you guys again but, like I said, it appears that people either don't know or don't care.

*I can say **** but not b i t c h? WTF?

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Speaking for myself and just about everybody else who posts here and attends the games... we are aware of what can happen and we do care.
    I figure I'll just keep going about supporting the team the way I have since 2001 (That's when I became a season ticket holder. It would have been earlier but flying from Baltimore to San Diego eight times a year would get expensive.)

I wouldn't say you're overreacting. We'll stop being concerned when we see steel in the ground at one of the possible sites in San Diego.
    Cardinals had to go through quite a mess to get their new stadium and I can't imagine they had a whole lot of fan support to help them out.

I can tell you're a passionate fan. We ALL are.
    JUST KEEP SUPPORTING YOUR TEAM!!! :bolt: :flag: :tup: :abq2: :abq1:

29. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I'll move on then and stop worrying about the fine folks here. I could use some help with BillyBob and all the douche bags over on the Voice though. Thanks.

30. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    So why not let the paste-eating insecure nutbags think they're the "voice of san diego" and let the adults handle the business of actually getting soemthing done? Let them have their choir-preaching venue and keep feeding them. :yes:

At the same time get hooked up with the winners. :bolt: