1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stadium train moving down two tracks in Chula Vista

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 22, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://chargers.com/news/headlines/stadium-train-moving.htm

After receiving a 5-0 vote from the Chula Vista City Council -- and three long ovations from the public attending the February Council meeting -- the San Diego Chargers embarked upon a two-track plan to move forward the concept of a new stadium in Chula Vista.

The first track, according to Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani, involves “conducting a comprehensive financial analysis of the two possible Chula Vista sites to determine whether it is possible to privately finance the $1.2 billion project.”

The two sites under consideration in Chula Vista are the 130-acre parcel along the Chula Vista bay front -- now home to a large power plant -- and an approximately 500-acre site on the city’s east side, near the existing Olympic Training Center. The financing study is being paid for entirely by the Chargers and managed by Patrick Gibbons of GCI Advisors, Inc.

The second track of the Chargers’ effort, says Fabiani, “will determine whether it is likely that the State of California will announce at some point in the foreseeable future a firm shutdown date for the bay front power plant.”

“The team’s original proposal to redevelop the existing Qualcomm site is unfortunately no longer viable,” said Fabiani. “The Qualcomm Stadium site was initially thwarted back in 2005 by the economic and political crisis in the City of San Diego and the poisonous opposition of City Attorney Mike Aguirre.

“Now, in addition to all of the problems in the City of San Diego, the dramatically escalating cost of construction has resulted in a doubling of the amount of money necessary to complete a stadium project. And it is simply not possible to generate that much additional revenue from the small 60-acre parcel that the Chargers were considering at Qualcomm.”

Over the last six years the Chargers have also engaged in formal discussions about potential stadium sites in National City and Oceanside, as well as in informal discussions with many private developers and other smaller cities around San Diego County.

“We’ve examined every possible option,” concluded Fabiani, “and we are now down to our last two potential sites, the ones in Chula Vista. We are working as hard as we can to make one of those sites work for the public and for the Chargers.”

I don't like the tone of this, not one bit :no::no::no:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Well, what do you expect? They're (chargers) aren't gonna wait around for another 10 years hoping someone in SD CO. builds them a new stadium.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    They win a Super Bowl, they'll get the new stadium here in San Diego.

Just like the Padres. They made it to the World Series, now let's talk about the ball park.

4. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    That's awesome! Chula Vista is my hometown and it would be awesome to have the bolts there. Can't wait til this gets further!

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't really follow SD's political climate much, nor its track record on keeping schedules. What's the progress on the replacement utility projects?

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    well that's a hell of alot closer to SD than vegas or san antonio would be:tup:

7. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    It won't be the same....Very wierd to think about but lets hope for the best.

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am hoping that the place that is chosen for the Chargers is the Power Plant site. The plant will close in 2009 and would be an excellent location for the stadium because to me it would be the best place due to the Power plant was used as an electrical provider. That would rock. Going from one kind of provider to another kind of provider in human electricity with $$$$$ going to the city of Chula Vista. Win Win situation.

Just my opinion.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I was just cruising through Chula yesterday as I was on my way to pay some bills, just sorta wandering around. I was on L street heading west, and on my way over the crest dropping down towards the west side of chula. I was looking out over the bay on a super clear day, I could see the power plant and thought to myself, man, how awesome would it be for a stadium to be sitting there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    That is great.....:icon_rofl: Tacos el Gordo rules CV!

• Like Like x 1
  11. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    Yes i was thinking the same thing when i went in Feb.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Fuk yeah! Tacos El Gordo Stadium, home of the San Diego Chargers of Chula Vista!

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Hope our dreams will come true. Chargers stay in CV,SOCAL

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's two evil mixture of names; Chula Vista in Chargers and 'Tacos El Gordo Stadium'. Neither sound rights eeek:lol: