1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stallworth pleads guilty, gets 30 days in jail.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jun 16, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns

"After his release from jail, he must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.
    Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver’s license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. After five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment."

It was also mentioned on TV that he came to a financial agreement with the victim's family but didn't say how much.

Stallworth has always been a class act but I don't know about this. Seems like he had the right idea that night but he didn't give himself enough time to sleep it off.
    I'm sad that it happened but I feel for the family of the victim.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    When I first heard that he only got 30 days and 2 years house arrest, I was pissed.

Then I heard the rest of it, including the settlement with the victim's family and they WANTED this to be resolved without trial, and that he'll never be able to drive again.

Also, he never tried to hide anything from the police too.

Put all that together, and I don't feel as mad as I orginally did, especially if the victims family is OK with it.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm with ya there CBF... my initial reaction was "great more preferential treatment for the wealthy and/or famous." But having read through the article I kinda feel like the system got this one right. :icon_eek:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    30 days in jail's the kicker for me

I'm sorry but those community service hours and life time bans would be there if any of us did that.

There's a ton of people who committed DUIs who killed people (completely by accident and through no fault) that would have loved that deal

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    not here in Michigan.

If a DUI driver kills someone, there is always years of jail time

Up to 15 Years Prison
    Fines: $2,500 - $10,000
    Mandatory Vehicle Immobilization

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yeah, I wonder how much he's paying to the family.
    I'm thinking that the family is thinking that "Stallworth doing 15 years isn't going to bring the guy back," so might as will get something from it... which won't happen if he's in prison.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Being rich and famous rules.

You can literally get away with killing people. Awesome.

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    It's a sad situation all around...

Nothing can ever bring back Mr. Reye's and I honestly believe Donte will carry that for the rest of his life. I hope for both the Reye's family and Donte there is some peace that can be had someday.

While they jail time sounds insignificant the rest of his punishment certainly seems harsh for someone with zero previous run in's with the law and who despite being over the legal limit was not 100% at fault. I'm willing to bet the fact that he never once shirked responsibility had a lot to do with being given more non-jail punishments than jailtime. Seems like a nod from the judge to keep him out of a place maybe he doesn't "belong" while still handing down consequences for his actions.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Money got him this lesser sentence. If this happened to an avaerage dude, he would be so screwed.

If I had the money, and I was in his shoes I would have made the same type of deal.

Same deal with that actress who killed that kid, and that other actress who hit someone. They both reached financial settlements with the family. They weren't drunk, so they can still drive, but it's all about money. That's what saved thier ***.

Anyone of us would be screwed.

10. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Even without the deal he wouldn't have gotten the full term, take into account good behavior etc it wouldn't have been maybe 10 years, maybe less.

This without a potential lifetime ban, no money to the family, and no community service. This with thousands of dollars spent to keep him in jail, not counting the hours in court etc and the thousands of dollars that would cost.

All this for a person, while under the influence and not in full control of his actions, accidentally killed a man who was illegally crossing.

The money he gave, along with the restrictions 2 years probation, and community service will do a lot more than years in jail. He won't be driving again and it was a huge mistake.

I think other people who get DUIs, those where no one is hurt, and those where people are should serve more time out of jail and doing community service with huge restrictions that sitting in jail with rapist and serial murders.

Same with people caught with drugs, keeping them in jail doesn't solve any problems. Jail is meant to protect the outside world from people. Putting him in jail ruins his life and does nothing to help anyone. All with us paying the bill.

He still is under house arrest and probation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Legalize drunk driving. :icon_toast::icon_party:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_evil: :trout: :trout: :trout: :icon_evil: