1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stat Of The Week

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I know a lot of us have been screaming for more Darren for quite some time just as some of us were probably screaming for more Michael Turner in the past. I'll never understand Norv's stubborn reluctance to use either of them over LT, especially once LT began getting dinged. If you look at the tail end of last year, LT was already looking less explosive, even in the Raider finale. Now with Norv having little choice, everyone will get a chance to see what Darren can do, something all of us should have been treated to all along!

From SI's Peter King's Monday Morning QB below...

<<<Maybe Matt Millen and Jerome Bettis are right. We semi-argued in the NBC studios Saturday night about whether it made sense to think of the 5-6, 185-pound Sproles as a big-money back -- whether that means as an every-down back or as a 15- to 18-touch back. But I'm amazed that whatever the role is, Sproles has been used so sparingly as LaDainian Tomlinson has declined so steadily over the past two years.

Sproles obviously has a major role, and a positive one, in returning punts and kicks for the Chargers. But you saw the game Saturday night, and you've seen his oft-electrifying runs over the past couple of years. That makes it so hard to fathom his touches from scrimmage over the past couple of years. His combined rushes and receptions in each game over the past two years, including the three playoff games in 2007 and one playoff game this year:

2007: 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 0, 26, 10, 4, 0, 2, 5.

2008: 2, 9, 7, 7, 7, 3, 2, 4, 6, 2, 4, 0, 12, 4, 5, 16, 28.

Before Saturday night's 28-touch-from-scrimmage effort, Sproles had averaged 4.1 rushes/receptions per game over the past two years. He's now had five double-digit-touch games over the past two years.

Now, of course, Sproles stands on the verge of unrestricted free-agency, after making $1.1 million this year. Tomlinson's cap number in 2009 is $8.8 million; if the Chargers cut Tomlinson, which would surprise me, he'd count only $2.1 million on the cap in 2009. Either way, after letting Michael Turner walk into free-agency last year, the Chargers will be taking a risk if they don't re-sign Sproles this winter.

Either way, I don't think the Chargers can count on Tomlinson to be anything more than a part-time player in 2009. He'll turn 30, senior-citizen age for backs, in June. He's averaged 396 touches a year in his eight NFL seasons. A knee last year, groin this year ... The breakdown is in progress. Can Tomlinson fight Father Time? So few backs have been able to.>>>

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am surprised fans have not said anything about LT and Sproles being in the backfield at the same time. It happened yet *crickets* :icon_huh:

Trade LT before it is too late. (it already is but ....)

He is the best freaking RB I have seen in my life time. This includes Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton. LT did it all.

LT should just do the honorable thing and just shut it down and retire as a Bolt. :bolt:

I do not want to see him in another uniform yet I understand this is a business. If someone is willing to pony up what will help us for the future, this is the direction we must look.

LT may have very well played his last game in a Charger uniform. Fans need to brace themselves. :yes:

PS....this obviously means I hate LT and the Chargers. Forums .... :lol:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If necessary, how about seeing if LT is willing to restructure his contract? I not only want him to retire in Bolts but I also want him to beat Emmit's record in Bolts!!!

He might do it too. Considering that after retirement, he'll be walking on water in America's Finest City. He retires a Chargers, he's set!!!

Autograph signings will be jam packed.
    He can open any kind of business and it's chances of success will be good.
    Restaurants will give him free meals.
    Auto dealers will give him $$$$$ and even a free car to use his name.
    Real Estate agencies will give him $$$$$ and a free house to use his name.
    The list goes on.
    He's already got it made but it can go higher!

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    1. LT won't be retiring after this season, that's just crazy talk.

2. He won't be traded because there's no way you get anything near what he's worth, he's worth a lot more to the Chargers than he is to someone else. Trading LT for a 5th or whatever just won't cut it sorry.

3. You need at least 2 quality backs in the NFL, why you'd be so desperate to dump LT is really crazy. **** we really should add another RB, let alone let one go.

4. You'd have to invest more in a replacement, why waste a high draft pick on a position we don't need to? We have bigger needs right now.

5. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

LT has been the heart of this team since he got here. He ran, caught, threw when we had no real offense, has taken some serious hits and now that he's in that 30 yr old window where backs start to feel it, everybody wants him gone.

It would be a mistake to let him go, but giving him a break with Bennett, Sproles, Hester might help his longevity.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Peter King, Matt Millen and Jerome Bettis semi-arguing?

Thank God I missed it.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not me. I agree that letting him go would be a mistake.
    I'm thinking that if it's necessary, he might accept a slight restructure in his contract if that means signing Sproles long term.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Marshall Faulk & Eric Dickerson played well past their prime.

If we can adapt our schemes to his abilities then why can't he be productive in his 30's

:icon_shrug:

:tup:

PS. If they somehow lose LT, the backlash would be felt for years

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The BIG MISTAKE would be letting Sproles get away. They phucked up with Drew (a lousy compensatory pick for a pro-bowl QB) and again with the Burner. You won't see the Patriots phuck up like that with Cassell. Learn something from your idols A.J. You drafted well, stealing Drew in the 2nd and Turner in the lower rounds. You should have at least got something of value in return. Desparate people do desparate things...especially in the draft room.

10. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Leave LT alone. He's has 3 more years and will be a charger for life. All we need is another complimentary back like we do every few years. use our cap money to resign Rivers and Merriman (unless we see what he does next year then franchise tag him)