1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stay at the Q?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by scottbbo1, Feb 19, 2008.

1. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    From KFFL.com
    Chargers | Architect looking to renovate Qualcomm Stadium
    Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:40:12 -0800

Ronald W. Powell, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports retired architect Jack Carpenter and a group of architects are looking to renovate Qualcomm Stadium, home for the San Diego Chargers. The group would like to meet with the city's Qualcomm Stadium Advisory Board to gauge its interest. Michael Simonsen, a member of the Qualcomm Stadium Advisory Board, said the architect's idea has been well-received and they have been invited to give a presentation at their next meeting.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Renovating it will not answer the NFLs desire for more luxury boxes, nor fix the well advertised problems like leaks in the press box ceiling so spilt beer and other nastyness drips down onto the press and announcers (which may not be such a bad thing).

I doubt the Chargers will be overly enthusiastic about another renovation...

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Quit trying to polish that turd and build a goddamn new stadium already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    You've got to be kidding .. I would like to know how they can bring in more luxury boxes or improve the sight lines for the lower seats on the field level. Things that the NFL b*tched about at the last Super Bowl hosted in San Diego.

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The Q is not the answer. Sorry City of San Diego, that place is a beaten down car with a new TJ paint job.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    And I doubt they'd get all the work done in 1 off-season, which brings up another question, where do they play?

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The cost estimates aren't that much different than for a new stadium and the potential for the old "Murph" are less than optimum at the very best, since the infrastructure of the current stadium is substandard. I once took a bug eye sprite and customized it with a TR-3 wet sleeve engine, going from 960 cc's to 2300, dropped in a TR-4 rear end. I wound up having to replace the spider gears, which couldn't take the tork, reengineering the chassis to lower the CG to somewhere below my chin, altering the body to accommodate the larger tires I needed to keep out of ditches and expanding the size of the brakes for the new wheels. I had to shorten the drive shaft to a length of about six inches and put a small scoop on the hood to make room for the carbs. Hot little car. Only cost me three times as much as a new TR-6 would have, and I still had to carry my tool kit with me and a major league jack. If this stadium was a '35 Talbot or a classic Duesy, restoration would be worth it. The stadium is just a Hupmobile.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    One of the guys that I hang with and watch away games at Sandy's here in Big Bear is Bill Wilson, who managed the stadium for the city until his retirement a little over a year ago. He says the stadium is falling apart.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Only skimmed it but it only seats 40,000. Plus who's going to want to go from SD to LV 8 times in 4 months. You'll be shutting out way too many local fans, it'd have to be something local and there's nothing in San Diego that would work. (I don't think Petco would work, plus it's too small). Logistically renovating would be a disaster.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That will be a waste of money!!!

In that case, just go back to the original idea of building the new stadium next to Qualcomm and put this "renovation money" into that plan!!!

12. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Aguirre is the fly in the Mission Valley oinment. Whether or not Aguirre gets himself reelected, we have no idea who his successor will be or whether that person would cooperate or obstruct. The Chargers are not disposed to wait and if they can cut a deal somewhere in CV or elsewhere in the county, they would be smart to do so. I can't even begin to guess how much it would cost to mount a stadium on a platform at the port high enough to keep the area operating as a port. I would also wonder what it would take to insulate such a structure from earthquake damage. If any part of the ground is land fill, there is simply no way to build something like that safely. San Diego's choices for a stadium site are almost as limited as our choices for a new airport.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Guys, who ever said that renovation of the Q was to keep the Chargers playing there?

It is most likely to keep Aztec football, and make a more desirable location for all of those "lesser" events (rugby, concerts, monster trucks, etc).

And it is yet another indication that the Chargers have no chance to stay in the city.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I guess you don't see my sense of humor? :icon_tease:

As someone that flys to SD from Vegas not only for the home games, a couple of road games a year, Vegas would be easy. :yes:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But if the Chargers leave, I don't see how Aztec football, rugby, concerts, monster trucks, and whatever else will bring in enough funds to keep Qualcomm open.

Especially when they are now having concerts at Petco.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I dont care what they do as long as the Chargers dont leave.

17. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    As a soccer watching Brit, my experience of moving locations is a very negative one. In the UK our sports teams are inexorably linked to the towns and cities in which they are located and for that reason they are steeped in tradition and history within that community. The townsfolk believe it to be THEIR club and not the property of the current owners with the club and the supporters having huge loyalty to each other. In April Elton John is playing a concert at our new stadium and many Darlington fans are attending; not because they like Elton John at all, but because the concert is being hosted by their football club and they want to support the event.

My own club, Darlington FC, left our historic ground (we were there some 110 years) a few years ago and moved to a brand new, shiny stadium capable of holding 25,000 spectators. The fans hate it, even now nearly 5 years after moving in we feel there is no soul about the place and IT IS NOT OURS! Matchday routines have changed as we can no longer go to our favoured pubs, with the guys we schooled with many years ago for a few pints then wander to the game. Now we go to the same places but have to drive into and out of a congested car park, pre-book taxis or wait in line for buses. We had our routine, at our football club and we liked it! However as we all support the football team of the town, not the franchise at least we have been lucky enough to have the new place built within the town boundary (just).

Without doubt, the vast majority of our fan base would have loved to stay at old ground (rather quaintly named Feethams where the stadium was shared with the Town's local cricket team and we had to walk around the cricket pitch to enter the grounds of the football (sorry, soccer!) team).

If it had meant we shared a ground or rented something for a year whilst a complete renovation, or even a demolition and rebuild, took place we would have been happy.

I appreciate that the American way is somewhat different in sporting issues than our own but I would hope that when I make my way to The States next year to see a Chargers game I get to see it at QC, or, at the very least, in SD.

18. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I just can't believe all the problems you guys are having getting a stadium built. The fact that San Diego can't get a 72,000 seat open air facility downtown is more unbelievable than the issues LA is having. You guys would automatically be in the four year que of Super Bowl hosting, the Holiday Bowl could challenge to get that 5th BCS spot, and the events you could have there in the offseason would be great.

Is your political leadership that blind out there??

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In my opinion that is a definite yes.

Again my opinion. They the Politicians do not want tax payers to have to pay for a new Stadium. That is being handled by the Chargers Ownership. The Chargers as well do not want the Tax payers to pay for a new Stadium.

This as well. The politicians want in my opinion to get as much in taxes from the Chargers for a new Stadium as possible. That is another problem. As well they again the Politicians want what they want to build in with the stadium like Parks, community oriented projects and not want to have a parking lot to go with the Stadium.

All that is just my opinion on why the Politicians do not want a new stadium built unless they have their hands all over it.

I know that is not going to help much but it is a start.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Very. They do not see the freaking cash cow that a SB brings to the city coffers and the local economy. In the summer the tourist travel pumps big $$ into the city, yet in that wans in the winter months. Bunch of ostriches with their heads in the sand.

21. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    The only way that public funds could ever be committed to stadium replacement would be through bond issues that require a super majority to pass. That is not likely to happen in any of our lifetimes, not when necessary school bonds often get beat at the local level, or when the state is facing a 16 billion $ deficit, maybe even higher, and the state is going to slash funds that will negatively impact local and county budgets. The only really large scale local bonds that I can remember get a large wave of support were the ones that rebuilty the structures in Balboa Park, which passed with overwhelming majorities.

That being said, this city has never had, does not now have and does not have on the horizon any really visionary leadership. Pete Wilson got some things done, like the trolley and the Gaslamp and we got Horton Plaza built, without which Gaslamp would be moribund. The trolley was done on the cheap and has never been what it could have been. The Convention Center was botched. Other than that unremarkable list of accomplishments, in the last fifty or sixty years, the development and growth of this city has been a welter of incompetence, greed and provinciality. The old Murph was a creation of media and public pressure, not the political leadership. Gaslamp and Horton had more to do with developers than the leadership.

Looking at the mayor we have now, those lining up to run, most of the City Council and County Board of Supervisors, that is not likely to change.

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I agree. The financial outlook is grim to say the least.

The bond market in general is in trouble and add that to the city's dismal credit rating, there is no way that they can get it done.

What boggles my mind was the resistance by the city to even rationally discuss things with the chargers back when banks were giving away money. The suggestion by some of the city council tree huggers to turn the entire MV site into a park was hysterical. They had ZERO money to do that and ZERO funds for the general upkeep that would have been required.

Eventually that place is going to fall down and the city will have a quarter to half a billion dollar cleanup project that will all be on them.

CFB will pull the Holiday and Poinsettia bowls and put it in some other city if there is no new stadium.

SDSU will have to disband the football program as they will have no place to play.

23. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I just hope you guys don't end up in a situation like Cleveland and Houston (even though I benefitted) did. I have first hand seen the passion you guys have for your team and I don't want you to lose it.

But I must say, the Q is antiquated, and needs to be replaced. Really can't blame the Spanos' if they can't make it work and move up the 5 if San Diego leadership is this bad.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I need to clear the air with you.

I understand, ok one of the MODS told me but do not get on the MODS for this, that you did not attend the playoff tailgater against the Titans because you thought our gater required you burn an article of Titans gear if you lost?

This RULE is a long standing rule but ONLY applies to RAIDER FANS.

I am not sure how this got translated into ANY opposing teams fans must burn a piece of their teams' gear but this is not the case.

My other long time tailgate amigos and non posters (Jim and Bryan) have never made this a requirement so that is the deal.

I am sort of bummed the opposing teams fans get the idea they are not welcome to the gaters and that is not the truth. Without you, we have no rivalry. We need you otherwise, we eat each other. :lol:

We have recently started making the gaters more communal where several people are now pitching in with the costs associated with hosting these gigs and I will certainly ask what they think but from my stand point, you are always welcome. :icon_toast:

25. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Right Remodeling the Q is nonsense

26. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    You don't need to be an architect to know that.

27. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    That's what I'm talkin' bout.