1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Staying in SD for the Steeler game. 550 west?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by P88F, Sep 19, 2006.

1. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Here is the Low down, i am staying at the 550 West in Downtown SD. anyone ever been? Judging on the readings of this place it soundsl ike its gonna be a ruff two nights, but for the price i can not complain. What is there to do in the SD area where i wll be located? malls, restuatants, movies? please help san diegans. thanks

your pal Eddie

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hit up the trolley to get around or you may get Mansker'd.

Hit up the Gas Lamp district for night life and Old Town for mexican food and TJ for hookers. :icon_mrgreen:

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Yeah the gaslamp district is probably the best place to go for nightlife, unless you like the more laidback atmosphere, in that case go to PB (PB bar and Grill or MoonDoggies)

As for mexican food, just look for the most ghetto area and thats where you will get the best mexican food. I personally love going to TJ for the food. Tacos El Gordo (On rio dr) is amazing!! but if you prefer to stay in SD, you cant go wrong with any robertos. Also, Saritas in Spring Valley is damn good

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Don't know where that it, could you provide a link to their website ?

5. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I prefer Roybertitos.. you can see their new commercial here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wA8C6m5h3dE

With all honesty, the closest mexican place to downtown would be Los Panchos. If you go to maps.google.com and do a business search in San Diego for Los Panchos, you can see exactly where they are located.

6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    TJ does sound good to go during the day.... any suggestions how to get there? park b4 crossing the border and walk thru?

7. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Definately walk through and follow the crowds.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Trolley ... I believe the trolley goes all the way to the border

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We're gonna beat the piss out of the Squeelers and the stadium is going to be a madhouse that night. :yes: :foley53: :bolt: :icon_toast:

10. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    TJ is a ****-hole, and unless you feel the need to see grime, dirty streets, beggars, filth, and poverty, I would stay away. Go to some of San Diego's pristine beach communities, like La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar...

Also, crime is WAY up South of the Border in recent months due to a shake up in the main drug cartel's higherarchy, with Norte Americanos being the primary target.

But knock yourself out if you really want to see another country. Don't say you weren't warned.

11. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

thanks for the warning... i have been down there a few times. Let me discuss this with my ruca and see whats up

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Don't let EC scare you .... If you want to drive down and hit up some lobster in Puerto Nuevo (about 20 minutes south of TJ) go for it. Make sure you use the Cuota or Toll road. They are safer and better but nonetheless watch for cows.......the border crossing times can be in the hours so heads up when heading back to the USA.

13. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

there is no way i am taking my ranfla... Thats asking to get pulled over... Im to O.G. for the streets, but i will prob get hijacked first. haha Do they have security controlling the parking lot?

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    TJ has some good spots and bad spots like any border city.

There is really enough **** to do when you take in Seaport Village with the wifey walking along the water....good food as well. That is a good day spot for both sexes. Same with Old town for grub and a few margaritas.

The trolley helps to not worry about the DUI's.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word :icon_toast:

16. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm not trying to scare anyone. I am down in Baja two or three days a month on business. Baja is a kick *** place once you sift through the border riff raff. I go down about twice a year to get away from it all on vacation as well- I love it. But that isn't a day trip.

Stay out of TJ, only use the toll roads (cuota), and hit up Rosarito if you are going to go south.

Puerto Nuevo is completely overpriced. Hit up the taco stands. The food is some of the best anywhere, and CHEAP.

One last thing, buying pills without a perscription from a Mexican Doctor is strictly prohibited and subject to jail time. This message has been brought to you by the Mexican Board of Tourism. :lol:

17. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    TJ can barely be called Mexican. It's where all the people from central and south america get stuck when trying to cross the border into the U.S.

Trumpy is right that you'll have much better food and good times if you head south of TJ into the real mexico.

I think there will be plenty of distractions in downtown and at the beaches until game time.

18. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    for some reason my ruca is all hung up on mexico for some odd reason and is dieing to go like its tight or something, but i guess we are going to take the trolley from oldtown to the border. I would want to go more south but how would the transportaion work? I am spending alot lately cuz i have my girls bday which we are goign to denver, clubhouse seating, presents. whats a cheap alternative to all this transportaion once in mex already?

19. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I'd point you towards Casa De Pico for mexican. Great food and margaritas. 1 exit East of the stadium in Grossmont Center, used to be in old town. Seaport Village is always a winner with the ladies.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, the trolley goes to San Ysidro. Short walk across the border from the trolley stop.

21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    500 West Hotel
    500 W Broadway, San Diego, California

The Historic 500 West Hotel Is Located In A Renovated 1920's Landmark Building That Stands Within One Block Of The Santa Fe Depot, Is Three Blocks From Horton Plaza, And Is Within Five To Nine Blocks Of Gaslamp Quarter, Embarcadero, San Diego Convention Center And Petco Park. San Diego Zoo Is Just Three Miles Away And Seaworld Is Six And One Half Miles From The Hotel. Guests Arriving Via San Diego International Airport Are A Two And One Half Mile Drive From The Hotel. Located Within The Same Property As The Hotel Is A Well Equipped Ymca Where Guests Enjoy Discounted Fees. This Fitness Facility Has An Indoor Basketball Court, Running Track, Steam Room, Sauna And Spa Tub, As Well As Free Weights And Numerous Fitness Machines. Yoga And Exercise Classes Are Also Taught.

From what I've heard about the Hotel it's self, it sucks. But the location is pretty good. You're walking distance from the gaslamp district and Horton Plaza. Just go east on Broadway. The Fish Market is to the soutwest of where you're staying and has great seafood, although it can be a little pricey. KC Barbeque is also in that direction, but it's a KC Chiefs place and the food is not great. The only claim to fame that place has is it was featured in the movie Top Gun.

Gaslamp area is full of great resturants and night clubs. If you like clubbing, dancing, etc. this is the place to go. Personally I have a problem with paying ridiculous cover charges, so you won't see me there. This is also tourist central.

Pacific Beach (aka PB) is cool for the early to mid twenty set. If you're 30 or above plan on feeling old. High police presence in PB as well. them youngsters can't always handle their alcohol, so don't be surprised if you seem some roudiness. PB Bar & Grill is a good call as it's generally pretty mellow.

Ocean Beach (aka OB) is a cool area. Don't bother to dress up if you head that way. The wrinkled t-shirt and ragged shorts with a pair of Birkenstocks look will make you fit right in. It's kinda the hippy area of town. I don't know if it fair to say that, but it's accurate. Don't be surprised if you meet a chick with hairy pits. Pac Shores bar is cool and cheap strong drinks. Sunshine Company is another bar with a good atmoshpere. Winstons is a reggae bar that features live music of all types.

There are some other great places to go out and have a great time while you're here in SD. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like me to recommend some places based on what kind of atmosphere you're looking for.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I stayed in that hotel you mentioned one night when I got stranded in SD. It was after a Bolts' game. My friend was on-call and had to leave in the second quarter. I decided to stay at the game and take the train home to OC. The only problem was that the track had a problem and there were no trains running.

I ended up at that hotel because it was the first one I came to after leaving the Santa Fe Depot. It pretty much sucked. The worst part was that somebody tried to break into the room about 2am, or maybe it was just an overzealous cockroach trying the door handle. :icon_rofl:

23. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

wonderful, thank you for taking your time to post a extremely insightful post. Friday night, i think we are going out to a nice restaurant and a bar. Last year, we went to that 4th and broadway spot and ya, it is extremely over priced! wont make that mistake again and we had a hotel walking distance. Whats a nice bar that is happening and semi local to this hostel hotel im staying at? sat i believe we are taking a trolly to mex, atleast that way we can be semi safe. thanks everyone! awesome forum!

24. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

tell me more, what happend! Should i take a shank? or raid? haha