1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers-Chargers Matchups

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +852
    Steelers-Chargers Match-Ups
    Friday, October 6, 2006

By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

The following are some of the interesting match-ups to watch when the Steelers battle the San Diego Chargers on Sunday night at Qualcomm Stadium:

STEELERS ROLB JOEY PORTER VS. CHARGERS LT MARCUS McNEILL: Philip Rivers will be making his fifth NFL start on Sunday night, and it's only natural for opposing defenses to try to take advantage of his inexperience. This particular match-up serves as an example of the mental games the Steelers will be trying to play with a young quarterback. McNeill was the AFC Rookie of the Month for September, and he has done a nice job at an important position, but Porter is a Pro Bowl linebacker and a consistent pass rusher. The Steelers will use Porter, as well as some others, to create pressure as well as to create the illusion of pressure to force Rivers to make quick decisions with the football. How Rivers is able to decipher which is coming when will say a lot about the success the Chargers will be able to have offensively.

STEELERS PR WILLIE REID VS. CHARGERS P MIKE SCIFRES: One of the weaknesses in the Steelers performance over the first three games of the season has been the kick returning. In three games, the Steelers managed 22 total yards on punt returns and their 19.6 yard average on kickoff returns ranked 30th in the NFL. With Ricardo Colclough out for this game with a neck injury, Reid will get his first chance to do the job he was drafted to do back in April. Reid can be a factor, but he also has to stay within himself and not take any silly chances. This is his first NFL game, and it's going to be televised nationally, but Reid has been in big games before and cannot allow himself to get caught up in the moment. The Steelers offense could use some of the help that good kick returning can offer.

STEELERS WR SANTONIO HOLMES VS. CHARGERS CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE: Both of these guys are rookies and both were first-round picks back in April. Typically, Holmes and Cromartie will come into the game when the Steelers are in a passing situation, and whether they actually line up against each other or not really doesn't matter because this is another of those match-ups that's more emblematic of how the teams execute in a specific aspect of the game. Because the Chargers defense is so good against the run, the Steelers are going to have to be able to have some success with their passing attack. San Diego's secondary is the weakest area of its defense, but the Chargers still might have enough to deal with the starting receivers. Then it might fall to Holmes and Nate Washington to make some plays for Ben Roethlisberger.

STEELERS PASS PROTECTION VS. CHARGERS OLB SHAWNE MERRIMAN: The Chargers will use Merriman in a variety of ways to try to get pressure on the passer. He'll line up on either end of the line of scrimmage, and sometimes he'll line up wide and loop inside. The Steelers have to be aware of Merriman, no matter where he is, because if he has some early success the rest of the defense will be able to feed off that. Merriman is an imposing and talented player, but the Ravens managed to get him blocked throughout the game last weekend in Baltimore.

STEELERS SS TROY POLAMALU VS. CHARGERS TE ANTONIO GATES: "They do a good job of moving (Gates) around," said Coach Bill Cowher, "using him like a receiver trying to create mismatches where he's bigger than the defensive backs you put on him and faster than the linebackers that try to cover him. You have to be careful of how much you use one guy to mirror a player like that. He is one guy that you have to be aware of, and he can become a match-up problem." The Steelers drafted Polamalu to deal with tight ends like Gates, but expect the linebackers and maybe even some of the other defensive backs to be involved as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Ohh NO, not again....:unsure:

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Hopefully our kick coverage can keep this new boy contained and pin them deep. Our D absolutely must put some hits on Ben. He is fragile. Glass jaw boy is going to make mistakes if we get on him.

4. darkcharger

darkcharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Hurray, it's not a Marty thread. :tup:

On Pass protection:
    Right now Hamburglar is not playing particularly well and based on the number of turnovers last time they played, neither are The Steelers in general. I think if we get away from the cover 3 defense we will be ok. I don't even think the Ravens were able to stop Merriman last week unless you count all the no calls on those holds against our D-Line. The key will be shaking up Hamburglar's confidence early and often.

Palomalu vs. Gates:
    Palomalu is a stud and so is Gates. Rivers has to be aware at all times where Palomalu is and to respect that breaking speed he has on the ball. If he does decide to cover Gates man to man; Gates should be able to use his size. Besides, Palomalu can't cover all of our receivers including LT from the backfield. Palomalu is also recovering from an injury so this is a plus for us anyway you look at it.

Cromartie:
    I really like our #1 pick but he has to learn to not only hit hard but to wrap up his man. This goes for our entire secondary. It seems they have gotten comfortable with simply delivering the big hit. While this is impressive and even necessary to discourage passes across the middle; just make sure they realize that the number one goal next to stopping the pass in the first place is to tackle and prevent YAC.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    [

STEELERS ROLB JOEY PORTER VS. CHARGERS LT MARCUS McNEILL: Advantage Porter. Just has more experience and is one of the best pass rushers in the game today. Against a rookie, who has been great against pro bowlers no question, but I just think Porter's experience will carry the day.

STEELERS PR WILLIE REID VS. CHARGERS P MIKE SCIFRES: Advantage Scifres. Assuming he's not feeling anything from the last week, the Chargers PR and special teams have been good all year. THe Steelers have sucked

STEELERS WR SANTONIO HOLMES VS. CHARGERS CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE: Advantage Cromartie. Holmes hasn't done a damn but get arrested and get on everyone's nerves. Cromartie has been outstanding all around. If the two go against each otehr Cromartie will turn him into lunch meat

STEELERS PASS PROTECTION VS. CHARGERS OLB SHAWNE MERRIMAN: Advantage - Merriman but barely. THe Steelers are a good pass protection team but htey're going against the best OLB pass rushers in the game. Its hard to say but i'll give it to Merriman.

STEELERS SS TROY POLAMALU VS. CHARGERS TE ANTONIO GATES: PUSH. Polamalu is the only safety I've ever seen who could cover gates on his own. I know Polamalu is indeed injured but Gates has not been utilized as much in the game which puts more advantage to Polamalu

6. anjang86

anjang86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Well in my opinion, none of those matchups really are going to be a factor except for Merriman vs the Steelers.

I have a feeling Porter is going to be quiet all game and drop back in coverage, Polamalu isn't going to be the one covering Gates (he's not a cover SS), and Santonio Holmes isn't a big part of the Steelers offense right now anyway.

I will say this though, Ried's best games in FSU were the big games. I really hope he lights it up Sunday night because Cowher finally took his head out of his *** and started the guy he drafted for the position.

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Apparently Merriman needs to learn that as well.:tdown:

8. darkcharger

darkcharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Touché! :icon_toast:

I did hear in one of his recent interviews that Merriman realized that very fact since he tried to (as he put it) 'take the guy's head off'. It's precisely what I am talking about; if you are going to try for a big hit, you better make damn sure that it stops your man or causes him to drop the ball. Highlights are nice but winning is better.

• Like Like x 1