1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET

What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

It's the second time in less than a year that the Jets have swung a deal for a former first-round receiver. Last October, they acquired Braylon Edwards from the Browns.

Like Holmes, Edwards also is facing a likely suspension after pleading no contest to an assault that occurred only days before he was traded. Also, both players are signed through 2010.

Suddenly, HBO's Hard Knocks got a lot more interesting.

UPDATE: Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that the Jets gave up a fifth-round draft pick for Holmes, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII. A fifth-round draft pick for a former Super Bowl MVP.

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    wow, :yes:

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    The Steelers must have been REALLY pissed at Santonio....Like, 'we'll take the first offer just to get you on the first plane outta town' pissed.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    For smoking pot?! All they gave up was a 5th round pick!!!:icon_eek: I'd have happily taken Santonio Holmes for that price!

Its not like it was crack, meth, or heroine!

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    He just turned 26.

He had 79 catches, 1248yds, and 5 TD's last year.....the Jets just got a lot better. This is the first pickup that I buy for them this offseason.

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If I were a Jets fan I would be very happy... :yes:

F the Jets... :icon_evil:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Hell I'd be interested in acquiring him for just a fifth rounder, ****

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Well...before we get too carried away....He is going to serve a 4 game suspension at least next year and has other legal woes....and won't be putting up those numbers with the Jets....This type of thing could backfire as the Jets are collecting a bunch of 1 year contracts to make a push....and in an offense that butters its bread with the run, it may not be so great to have both Braylon and Santonio crying for the ball all the time.

They've got a lot of potential to improve....but they've also got a lot of potential to jack up their chemistry...They were a pretty good blue collar group last year....think what Cromartie alone may do to that....now Santonio?

Still, the Steelers should have waited for the draft to get at least reasonable compensation. A 5 th rounder is a joke.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Just reading the Steeler boards...they're irrate!:lol:

But again I have to ask, how the f*** the Jets are going to pay all their talent with expiring contracts? This seems like a 1yr run at the title, if there was a cap they'd be WEEELLL over it right now.

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Steelers couldn'd get rid of Ben so they got rid of Holmes...

Holmes... :lol:

Did I mention I hate the Jets... :icon_evil:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I really don't like them

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the 2nd time that Holmes has been busted? The same season he won the Superbowl MVP, I think he got popped for 2 games too.

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    People may say it's SB or bust here a lot, but for the Jets it really is SB or bust because there's no way they can re-sign all of those guys.

It's one of those things that could end up being genius or a complete disaster. We'll see Ryan will have his hands full with these guys.

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Leon Washington can be part of trade package only after signing his tender

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 12:50 AM ET

There are rumors flying in the wake of the trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers to the Jets that the compensation package includes both a fifth-round draft pick and running back Leon Washington.

Though we're not yet prepared to declare with 100 percent certainty that this rumor is off the mark, it's highly unlikely that Washington would be part of the deal. In order to be traded, Washington must first sign his restricted free agency tender offer. Given the apparent speed with which this deal transpired, it's unlikely that Washington inked the deal before the Steelers and the Jets worked out their trade.

That said, it's possible that the Jets and Steelers have a wink-nod baseball-style "future considerations" arrangement, whereby Washington will be shipped to Pittsburgh at a later date.

Possible, but not likely.

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Jets should be worried that they've traded for the next Ricky Williams

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 12:29 AM ET

As the New York Jets welcome Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes to town, they should be very concerned about how much of him they'll actually see.

Given our report from Saturday that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension for violation of the substance abuse policy, the move means on the surface that the Jets will have to prepare to perform without Holmes for the first 25 percent of the 2010 season.

It also means that, if the suspension sticks, Holmes will be one false move away from a one-year suspension.

Assuming, based on his history with marijuana (and his recently stated intention to "wake n bake"), that Holmes' violations flow from an inability to quit smoking pot, he could become the NFL's next Ricky Williams -- a guy who loves weed more than he loves playing football.

If that's the case, it's unclear whether the Jets will see much of Holmes on the field at all, in 2010 or beyond.

UPDATE: To be clear, we're not talking about the Ricky Williams of today, who has chosen football over weed. We're talking about the Ricky Williams of several years ago, who chose weed over football on multiple occasions.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ is removing party boys, not inviting them in. Holmes is the next Plaxico just waiting to happen. And now he's in the Big Apple?

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Santonio Holms traded to the Jets for a 5th

Are the Jets just trying to over take us and Cinci as the team with the most head cases? Braylon Edwards, Holms, and Cro. Who is next, Pacman?

18. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Santonio Holms traded to the Jets for a 5th

They are making some big moves. Head case or not, the man is dangerous and makes them stronger. 2009 superbowl MVP. Huge numbers last year.

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Glazer: League is expected to announce Santonio suspension today

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 11:51 AM ET

When we learned on Saturday that Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes would be suspended four games for violating the substance abuse policy, we didn't know when the suspension would be finalized.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that an announcement from the league is expected to be made today as to the newest arrival in New York.

The suspension means that Holmes will continue to be subject to unannounced testing multiple times per months, and that one more false move will result in a one-year banishment from the league.

Holmes is the first Super Bowl MVP to be suspended by the league.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Between Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Antonio Cromartie there's enough drama, drug use, hooking up and primadonas to make the second season of Jersey Shore

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    word... :popcorn:

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Doesn't seem to me like the Jets are close enough to championship caliber to pull a move like this. They had some ups and downs last year and backed into the playoffs. Great for them but a mad scramble for talent doesn't seem to be a good strategy for a team with nowhere to go but up.

23. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Steelers were ready to cut Santonio

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 1:01 PM ET

In the wake of the stunning decision to hand Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes to the Jets for a fifth-round draft pick, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers were prepared to release Holmes if they hadn't been able to trade him.

Per Bouchette, the Jets made the best offer for Holmes.

And that's not a surprise. Per a league source, Holmes was off many draft boards in 2006. Though Holmes vindicated the low first-round pick by helping the Steelers win a Super Bowl, his career in Pittsburgh is ending under the same cloud (literally and figuratively) that many had feared.

Still, we don't understand why the Steelers would hand Holmes to the Jets, given that the two teams compete for wild-card berths and/or home-field advantage. We would have taken less from a team in the NFC, like the Redskins, Giants, Bears, Panthers, Bucs, or Seahawks.

If, in the end, the Steelers could have only gotten a conditional cold turkey sandwich for Holmes, they still would have taken the deal. If he had been released, he likely would have made a bee line for Baltimore.

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    League makes Santonio suspension official

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 1:58 PM ET

As expected, the NFL has announced that Jets receiver (not a typo, Mr. Van Winkle) Santonio Holmes has been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season.

He has been suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. The imposition of a four-game suspension means that he has violated the policy on multiple occasions, with a three-game fine preceding the four-game exile.

He'll be permitted to participated in the offseason program, training camp, and the preseason. After the fourth preseason game, he'll be required to leave the team facility.

Meanwhile, he's one more violation away from a one-year suspension.

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Holmes claims his Twitter account was hacked

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 10:05 PM ET

We reconfigured various Monday afternoon radio spots in the hopes of being able to participate in the conference call conducted on Monday regarding the Jets' trade for receiver Santonio Holmes.

The call was supposed to start at 4:00 p.m. It didn't. When 4:20 p.m. ET rolled around, I needed to wake and bake. (I hope I'm finally using that term correctly.)

Eventually, the call occurred. During the discussion, Holmes was asked about a Twitter exchange from the day after news broke of a lawsuit filed against Holmes based on allegations that he threw a drink in a woman's face.

Holmes told a Twitter user that he "shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself.

"."

So why wouldn't he have defended himself? All he'd need to do is delete the tweet and post a new one explaining that his account had been accessed by something not authorized to use it.

Besides, Holmes has a "Verified Account." In other words, the stuff he says on it are regarded as his words. If he failed to secure his user name or password and someone else made that statement, Holmes is still responsible. At a minimum, he needs to offer an explanation more detailed than "."

At some point, Holmes has deleted the tweet. However, he has yet to remove the one in which he declares an intention to "wake n bake," or where he reminds the fans that "u don't cut my check."

But at least this story has a somewhat happy ending. On March 30, he pointed out that he loves the Jets.

Then again, maybe it wasn't him.

:lol:

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I don't understand why a team like St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay or Oakland....some team that needs a WR with a higher 5th rounder wouldn't have made the same offer???

I mean WTF? I know he comes with baggage, but the guy is a Pro Bowl talent, and a Super Bowl MVP.

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the four game suspension and the Ricky Williams risk. One more strike and he's out for a year

Wake & Bake I think is how he coined it.

:lol:

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I accused a Steeler-fan buddy of mine this morning of pulling a "Santonio" before work. :tup:

29. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Steelers were planning on cutting him, this was the best offer out there. Why those teams didn't offer more? Well Holmes is in his final season and he's getting suspended for the 1st 4 games of that season. No guarantee he'll re-sign with you so you can't build around him on offense.

Doesn't really do anything to have a good receiver for 12 games when your team sticks, it's worth the risk if you think you're a contender.

So it's not really surprising none of those teams went after him. The Jets were one of the contending teams who did need a WR, the other possibly being the Bengals but no way they trade him in division. Really the only other possibility was Miami but Parcells doesn't seem like the guy who'd deal for Holmes.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Rex's ego is telling him that he can handle all of these egos.

We'll see. My bet is that some of these guys will get eaten alive by New York. It's much easier to pull off the diva act in Pittsburgh ... or San Diego.