1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers to cut Larry Foote

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Apr 28, 2009.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Per PFT:

If they do, I am very much in favor of us picking him up. He's not too old at 28, and adds a solid veteran presence to our inside linebacking corps. He's a championship player, and knows how to win in the post-season.

We should jump on him ASAP. He'd be a perfect fit.

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    me likey - I'm all for bringing in anyone who would be an improvement over wiffhelm

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, my mama is an improvement over Wilhelm! :lol:

Yeah, I like bringing in the Foote man. Guy always gave us fits, bout time we get some dogs on our side to do the same! Keep the defensive guys coming! Phillips, Foote, Coop, Merriman, English, Barnett. Those are some serious DOGS right there!

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Not a bad idea at all, BUT the steelers aren't known for letting people go unless they are really not worth it anymore. I'm not saying don't pick him up but just be forewarned

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Joey Porter had 17.5 sacks last year, two years removed from the Steelers. His first year in MIA he matched the 2nd highest tackle total of his career (65). :yes:

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm never one that gets to anxious to sign someones cuttings, but if there's nothing physically wrong with foote I would love this signing, you guys nailed it on the head (or foote depending) he would be a perfect upgrade for us.

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The Steelers cut him for cap reasons. They're really strapped for cash, and releasing Foote cleared $2.8 million.

8. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Sounds like his backup was the one we should hope for:

Pittsburgh is right up against the cap, Foote is due a $2.885 million salary, and backup Lawrence Timmons is a much more gifted player. Foote could be released when the Steelers begin to sign their draft class.

Due roughly $3 million in 2009, Foote finished with fewer tackles than his backup Lawrence Timmons last year. The Steelers figure to open this position to competition. Timmons clearly is the more disruptive player.

Foote isn't expected to agree to a pay cut and isn't as good as his backup, Lawrence Timmons. Still, Foote is only 28 and will generate some interest.

link

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    All I'm saying is that he'd be a good veteran presence for us.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He would make a good veteran presence and we seriously need help over the middle. We need guys that have started there to really take over for us and develop our younger players and scrubs. Wilhelm should be sent packin' and Foote should take his place. Unless, of course AJ is comfortable with Bennet and Cooper.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 67 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment: Foote is an emotional player who gives it everything he has, but he isn't particularly big, strong, fast or athletic. His ability to read and diagnose plays against the run and pass is an underrated aspect of his repertoire. He isn't massive, but doesn't hesitate to take on bigger blockers or a fullback in the hole. He is a good tackler, but not a thumper. He times his blitzes well and has a strong understanding of Pittsburgh's complex blitz packages, but he doesn't overwhelm pass blockers with his physicality or array of moves. He is also a good, but not great, coverage player, who reads routes well but is hindered by his tools. His change-of-direction ability is marginal and he can look stiff in space. Throughout his career in the NFL, he has consistently become a better and better football player, but may have hit his peak at this point of his career.

Had 63 tackles, 1.5 sacks, no INTs

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    also heard that Derrick Burgess could be cut, can the guy still play? :icon_shrug:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    True. Steelers always seem to release players at the right time.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I say we go to the 0-7 defense!

Screw linemen, give me big nail eating linebackers and let the line pick who to block!

Yeah football genius right there! :lol:

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Foote is a good player. Decent in coverage, very hardnosed. He'd bring some toughness to the linebacking crew, and I'm all for signing a player from one of our biggest competitors. Their loss should be our gain. At the very least, he'll be an upgrade over Wilhelm, and he just might be an upgrade over Cooper as well.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

That's a better idea than asking for Bingham to play lots of nose tackle next year:lol:

17. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I would welcome Foote to our LB corps. I think this guy puts on his hard hat, grabs a shovel and just plain works his *** off. His veteran leadership would only help tremendously.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Do me a favor and resolve these two statements :icon_tease:

19. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Maybe not 0-7, but...

It would be somewhat interesting maybe to have Jamal and our new Canadian Mountie manning the line with 5 LBs

20. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25