1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Cooper signing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Acee just tweeted it. One year contract.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Was just about to post it too,can never have enough veterans, and just incase we face the colts in the playoffs lol

3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Smart move. He'll be good for depth, and will provide some more security.

4. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    So who's going to start then?

5. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Wonder how much he signed for?

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Good signing, he was the captain of the D and I'm pretty sure Manusky didn't like having a rookie in Butler making the calls on D.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He probably starts but they'll rotate him and Spikes w/Butler & Mouton heavily, keep the vets fresh.

Think 2004-2005; starters were Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards, pair of grizzled veterans who were still good. But there were two youngsters hungry, working their way up the ladder waiting for their chance to start. Those were Cooper and Wilhelm.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Stupid Cooper.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

NOO! NO! NO! NO! WROOONG! START BUTLER!

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Another great veteran pickup by AJ Smith. :rolleyes:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  12. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
  13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I guess its better to go with the devil you know (Cooper) than the devil you don't (Morrison). I would rather have seen Burnett back as a bolt than Cooper. I think Spikes will make the calls on "D" and we'll see Butler (if he can stay healthy) rotate in at the beginning and then get more and more playing time.

Seems funny that no one was sniffing around and offering Cooper a deal... (maybe cuz he plays a little soft??? or maybe he just ain't that good??)

14. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    PS--- I think AJ finally gets it... we need to win THIS FRICKING YEAR DAMMIT!

15. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I like this pick up! We are going to get some sacks this year people! I was okay with Cooper and I think e will be better this year.

Superbowl or bust!

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    More drag marks on turf around the league.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Backup vet and mentor only plz. Hopefully we see little of him on the field.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    This doesn't really make the defense stronger and it doesn't weaken it either, it's just a wash no harm no foul.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    It makes it stronger than last year, if a former starter is relegated to backup duty..... that means Butler is already better than Cooper.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Hypothetically yes, it still has to be proven out when it all counts. Practice and preseason my lend some clues but regular season will be the proofing. So in actuality, we are no stronger nor weaker than last year at this same point in time.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Cooper is healthier than last year, and lost 15 lbs....... even he has the potential to be better. Butler still has some learning to do, but he's physical and shows good instincts. What he needs is some seasoning.

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Like I said, the defense is about the same at this point as compared to last year. There are many factors that still have to be revealed before game one and as we all know, anything can happen. Let's just hope it's all good.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Cooper embraces new, old role with Chargers
    Written by Kevin Acee

Stephen Cooper faced reality and stayed home.

After two frustrating weeks of watching and waiting as rosters filled and his phone didn’t ring, he got proactive and got a job.

Cooper fired his longtime agent and hired David Dunn, one of the biggest in the business. Dunn assessed the market and presented his findings.

According to sources, there was not interest in Cooper at the price his previous agent had been asking, nor were there takers at the reduced rate Dunn was floating. Teams were going younger, waiting to see how things shook out with their current players’ production and health.

Partly due to side effects of the offseason labor war – with a tardy and frenetic free agency period and reinstated salary cap – Cooper was part of what numerous NFL personnel people have assessed as the largest group of quality players still unemployed at this point. It’s a buyer’s market, for sure, as teams can sit and wait and, when necessary, choose from among an unprecedented list of solid veteran replacements.

Teams didn’t have minicamps or offseason coaching sessions, and training camps started just two weeks ago. Cooper would get a call eventually, but it was a matter of when.

“I’m not sitting at home waiting for guys to be injured and hoping for a phone call,” Cooper said. “You got to take the opportunity when it comes about. To move and going to learn another system was just going to be a lot harder for me to do … Going on 32 (years old) and having the injuries and missing those games and my numbers not being the same, it wasn’t that positive a situation going into the offseason.”

Cooper spoke Saturday morning after watching his first walk-through of training camp. He was sitting at his familiar locker, wearing his No. 54 jersey.

He will not occupy his same role.

For the past four years, Cooper has started at inside linebacker. He is back with the Chargers as a reserve.

But nothing will change, said the former undrafted free agent who has always just brought his lunch pail and biceps to work and gotten the job done.

“I am who I am no matter what,” Cooper said. “I wear my feelings on my sleeve … All I do is show up to work, pay attention in the classroom and apply what they teach us.”

Now, the Chargers are hoping Cooper is as healthy as he seems and says -- “It’s the best shape I’ve probably been in since I’ve been in the league” -- and that he will not only give them some veteran depth on the field but veteran wisdom in the classroom.

Through 61 regular- and postseason starts since 2007, Cooper was the player who got the signals from the sideline and helped arrange the defense. He was known as one of the smartest players on the field and in 2010 served as a defensive captain.

When the Chargers’ brass says they hope Cooper will be a mentor toDonald Butler and Jonas Mouton, they’re really saying they hope he continues to be himself.

“That’s the way I’ve thought my whole career,” Cooper said. “Being around guys like Donnie Edwards and Randall Godfrey, Greg Manusky and John Pagano, those guys taught me how to be a great linebacker and a great leader … Whatever I can do. “

What he wants to do is continue to play. He acknowledges the passage of time but refuses to be believe his time has passed. He dropped 15 pounds in the offseason and believes the rest afforded by the lockout and ability to train his own way was beneficial. Now he returns to a defense he knows, led by a coordinator (Manusky) who was his first linebacker coach in the NFL. He sees this one-year contract for the minimum an eight-year veteran can make ($810,000) as an opportunity rather than a sentence.

“It’s like coming into the league as a rookie,” Cooper said. “Coming in as an undrafted free agent. A lot of people didn’t give me a lot of chance. But I know myself and I know my ability and know what I have to do. The biggest thing is my learning curve is a 10. I don’t really have too much to learn. A lot of the terminology is new, but other than that, I know how to play defense.”

26. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I guess that is true, but only if you aren't the rookie that was hoping for that roster spot, in which case it has to smell pretty foul to HIM. I *really* want to see the team be able to keep Gachkar and a couple of the other rooks, so to reflect this move I am now trying to pass Tolzien through waivers and hoping to keep him on the PS on my little fantasy "Charger Dave GM" sheet. Armchair GM, H/C, QB is kinda what we all do after a while - and this isn't the first roster move I've questioned heck out of. Good thing I don't have to make a living out of being a General Manager eh? :rolleyes:

27. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Can't remember if I asked this (and am too ******* lazy to go back a page to look lolz) but does this mean Kirk Morrison is a no?

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who knows. There will be cuts in camp to get down to a roster size, but some other team will probably snatch him up before too long.

Anyone know why he hasn't been snagged yet?

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    old, injured, limited athletic skills is a bad way to go into a job interview

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Morrison?!