1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Cooper the new leader of the Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by luckeystar6, May 27, 2009.

1. luckeystar6

luckeystar6 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    After watching Coop play last year and then year before and also reading about it on chargers.com about 3 years. I love the guy. Especially when it was boltz vs colts playoff. I believe that he was the key to success to beatting Peyton Manning. Barking and calling false signal. Thats what you call a great player.

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    This is a joke right? Cooper doesnt have the fire and heart to be the leader of this defense. Often misses tackles in the hole, amongst other things is the reason I said not even close. Merriman will resume his role as the leader of this defense this year. Cooper doesnt bring it like Merriman does day in and day out.

3. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    This is a joke right? Cooper doesnt have the fire and heart to be the leader of this defense. Often misses tackles in the hole, amongst other things is the reason I said not even close. Merriman will resume his role as the leader of this defense this year. Cooper doesnt bring it like Merriman does day in and day out.

What position do you play for the Chargers? Are you a good friend of Cooper's? I wasn't aware that a persons fire, heart, and desire could be defined by someone watching from his living room couch or stadium seat....

You must be joking right?

While agree that Merriman has been the leader of the defense and will remain to be I don't agree with concluding statements based upon nothing.

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I have to disagree.

I have never seen someone out duel peyton manning like cooper did in the afc wild card game.

Cooper does not miss that much tackles and definately has the leadership to handle this defense...

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'd say that Cooper's producivity is about on a par with what you'd be reasonable to expect from a former 2nd round draft pick... which isn't bad, for an undrafted free agent. :tup:

6. Bagman

Bagman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    You're both joking, right?

Cooper is holding his own, but he isn't the leader of this D. And you CAN tell someone's commitment, desire, etc. if you watch, listen, & evaluate instead of hanging out in mom's basement.

7. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Come on now, Ron Rivera was ready to have Stephen Coopers love child last year.

Obviously the guy is a PLAYA.

Coop is a BEAST. Vastly underrated. He got the headset after Wilhelm wasn't on the field enough to warrant him having it and we had a huge improvement with our injury crippled Defense. Coop and this defense are going to loom large.

This ThunderStrike D will knock your LIGHTS OUT!!!!!!

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I like Cooper, but think calling him the leader of the D is an overstatement.

I am more interested to see if LuckyStar6 is ever going to make a post on this board which isn't a brand new thread or a reply to his own thread... Time will tell. I'm sure the posts aren't just to get the link for his t-shirts out there.

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Cooper may be smarter than he is talented... but having at least one smart guy on the field is a very important thing :yes:

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Anyone who has the NFL network, watch the upcomming replay of the 2006 Chargers vs. Colts.

that was the game no one was giving us credit for because merriman was suspended. Every time Mannig move his O, Coop moved the D. He out gamed Manning.

he is a good linebacker, but a GREAT on the Field tactician from what I have observed. Give credit where it is due... IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Cooper has been the leader of the defense for 2 years now

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's a damn good field general, very solid and very underrated.

The only difference is now he's the field commander and its been made official

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Coops my boy, and I'd love to say he's the leader, but he's in a long line for that title.

he just doesn't have the whole enchilada to be a leader, he's no seau, hell he's no aj hawk.

I think he will improve, but if he's the leader, I'm not following.

14. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    SAGREED!! Come on people, are yall bolts fans?. How can yall say Coop isnt that good when the guy lead the team in tackles for 2 years straight, this past yeAR missing 4 games, lead the playoffs all together in tackles last year and O ya lead the league in interceptions for linebackers this past year missing 4 games. He aint the fastest but when you know where the play is going before it happens you got 2 steps on a backer who runs a so called "4.5". Not to mention he is one of the more physical middle linebackers in the league, and from what I read in the articles and see on the field he is most def the leader. I have season tickets adn when them commercials are on he aint taking no breaks, he is in all the players ears. Last year we had major people hurt but with coops return and RR going I seen major difference. He is our D leader and if you ask me I dont need a superstar as our leader. Ill take a under the radar gritty oldschool braniac linebacker all day GOOO COOPPP:abq2:

15. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Cooper will do a great job as defense general and lead by example.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Move over Cooper - Shawne's back. :abq2:

17. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Shawne is definitely the emotional leader of the defense, if not for the entire team. But Coop is unparalleled on this team for his ability to read offenses and direct the rest of the defense on it. Merriman is there to bullrush and occasionally drop into coverage. Cooper is there to be a middle linebacker and direct traffic.

18. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    No you cannot undeniably determine someone's commitment, desire, etc as a FAN. You're the joker

Can we have an idea? Yes, but to flat out accuse someone of having none is asinine.

Take the bag off, its surely suffocating

19. ChargersHooligan_22

ChargersHooligan_22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    coop is a beast among beasts. our linebacker core should be seen as a collective. they will tear it up as a unit this fall. undoubtedly merriman will bring the same leadership and energy he always has had. but everyone will play a part in any success we have this year. dont hate on the guys who dont have a BIG NAME. coops the man

CHAAAAAAAAGERS!

:icon_toast: :popcorn: :flag:

20. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    coop is fine but he needs to quit the stupid lil' kicks and dances he does on a 2 yard gain on second down when we're down.

21. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Its football bro, some players play with emotion some players dont, coop, merriman and phillips play with a lot of emotion and I love that about our team. There young, hungry and physical. Our defense is gonna be monsterous this year. Lights is a great emotional leader possibly the best along with Ray Lewis and im happy to have his fire and coops smarts together. :abq2:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I agree with this much... He's not a Merriman, Ray Lewis, Seau, etc. but he can contribute to leading the defense.