1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Cooper; the unsung hero of the Chargers D!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    An undrafted free agent in 2003, Stephen Cooper was a long shot to make the team. But now as starting inside linebacker he is playing better than any could have expected...

He started 16 games in the regular season, accumulating 108 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and 6 passes defensed.

Outstanding stats for a player who was not even drafted!

In the 06 season he played in all 16 games in the regular season.

This guy has played well for us and continues to do so. Give props to this player, he deserved it! He is the unsung hero on the Bolts defense!

2. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Pretty decent stats. How do those stats compare with the Ankle Biter from this year and his previous years in San Diego?

I'm sure someone has the numbers so I'm going to thank you before-hand.

Thank you.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    coop and wilhelm are really getting it done now. CAn't remember the starting inside linebackers we had last year.

I'm still hoping waters heals 100% and contributes alot next year. From everything said about him he's like cromartie in his abilitys. That he's very good when healthy.. And siler is no slouch at all. He's a warrior big time.

4. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I agree. Solid player and outstanding performance this year for and UDF.

I was slightly worried w/the loss of 2 vets at ILB but Coop and Wilhelm have kick'd .

props to Coop :bolt:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Last season Donnie had 141 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed and 3 interceptions.

This season however he only has 104 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 1 int. So Coop has out performed him this season.

Coop quietly has had an excellent season!

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think we must have twice as many UDFAs and "reaches" playing major rolls than any other team in the NFL. Props to Coop and to the walrus who signed him.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd be more interested in seeing WIlhelm and Edwards since they play that MIKE LB spot in the 3-4 whereas COoper plays the MACK spot where Godfrey played

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You writers are all alike. You suck. :tdown:

You call me up this afternoon and I biitch about how this forum shows no love to Cooper and then you go post this ?

Why not say, "ya know what, I was talking to T and he was right about this forum. No love is shown for Cooper".

FU. :icon_evil:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Actually you mental midget, I mentioned to you that he was the unsung hero of the D. You agreed and said you had not posted anything about it.

If you cant keep up, take notes.:icon_tease:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    coop - 54
    wilhelm - 57
    Anthony Waters - 53

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Hay Ant! :) Coop and Wilhelm are studs - Anthony Waters is an explosion waiting to happen in 2008 - but our best LB by far last Sunday was Shaun Phillips.. Damn he came to play! Every since Steve Foley went down he has proven to be a complete OLB rather than just an edge rusher on passing plays (like I had previously thought). The man is a double-barreled STUD! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't know what Waters will be on this team - we are really well set at the ILB spot especially with Dobbins and Siler and Polk in the back. It's a great problem to have

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Waters makes this team. We are so deep at LB it is unreal. Dobbins and/or Polk is the odd man out.

I reckon we go with #56, #95, #54, #57, #59, #53, #94, #92.

It sure is a position we do not need to draft in 08.

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    stephen cooper was absolute DOGCHIT against the titans are you all on crack?

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think Siler and Waters will be pushing for jobs in Dego in the near future or applying their skills against us.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I have to agree with (edit: the poster formerly known as) MTL on this one. I don't remember watching him specifically from week to week. But I was totally unimpressed by his performance last week. Sorry.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    One game man... One game. Go look at the stats and see what he did. Is it that people are not calling his name, or did you specifically watch for him and see him playing like crap?

18. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I can't wait to see Cooper bark out stuff when Manning makes his audibles again.

19. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    btw, it will be interested to see how Siler and Waters do in next years camp, I think they could bring a physicality in the middle that we have been missing since Seau was in his prime.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Exactly, in the last game Coop kept the defense moving. Manning would change something Coop would change something. He Manninged Manning...

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I thought it was Wilhelm that called the defensive signals. :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I dont know, it looked like Coops was doing it, and BR Smith on 1090 has been saying that ir was Coop who was having the chess match with Manning.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    In the TN game there were a couple plays where I saw him get owned by the RB and his lead blockers. Seems like he was waiting at the point of contact rather than being the initiator.

However, after his outstanding performance against the Colts yesterday I must withdraw my criticism and show some Cooper love! :tup:

:flag:

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Good on you bro! Coop is a star, but which LB on our team isnt? They are all starters on any team in the league!

Fear them Brady! Fear them!

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yesterday I looked for this. Coop was the signal caller through most of the game for the D...

Not sure what happened to Wilhelm...:icon_huh:

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Coop is the nickel backer. Weddle was in there a lot for Wilhelm. We played nickel for much of the game.

Cooper is just a stud. 16 tackles in that game. He was all over the place. He got the defense lined up correctly and flew to the ball.