1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Cooper to be released

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigmike.x.09, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/...in/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Chargers have informed inside linebacker Stephen Cooper of his release.
    The move was considered an inevitability almost since he was re-signed in early August. Nonetheless, it marks the official passing of an era.
    Cooper was in his ninth season with the Chargers. He started 55 games for the Chargers over the past four seasons, but he has played just 11 snaps on defense and sparingly on special teams.
    While he provided insurance at inside linebacker, his knowledge of the defense and willingness to teach cannot be underestimated in explaining his ability to stay on the roster for five weeks. He was considered a mentor for the younger linebackers, who raved about his knowledge.
    "He's helped me out so much," said Donald Butler, in his first year as a starter. "I mean, he’s one of the coaches in terms of concepts and just understanding where everybody fits in the scheme of things."
    Linebackers coach John Pagano, who has been with the team one year longer than Cooper, was certainly one of his champions.
    "Coop’s always studied the game, and he really takes pride in that," Pagano said recently. "He's not going to miss anything you say."
    Cooper was an undrafted free agent out of the University of Maine in 2003.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This news will make some happy. Definately open a needed roster spot!

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Count me as one of them

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Odds are we add a running back to the active roster – it worries me a little (along with an interview I listened to on 1090 yesterday) that Ryan Mathews may be hurt bad, and miss a game or maybe more. :(

5. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Its the end of an era....Coop has been a long time Charger and given this team a lot. From an Undrafted free agent to a high level LB the guy was always under rated and had a couple of near pro-bowl caliber seasons.

Sad to see him go. He will always be a Charger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wish Coop all the best.

7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Acee commented it was to sign an extra RB... this means either Toddman isn't ready or Mathews is going to miss games...

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The team should get him on the coaching staff.

• Like Like x 4
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Any chance they might want to use Hester as an RB and bring up Summers?

• Like Like x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Acee said yesterday on XX that if we had a game this week, Matthews wouldn't play. So maybe it is a precaution in case he can't make it on the field in 2 weeks

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I heard the same question regarding Bob Sanders, but the NFL has a rule that limits the number of coaches a team can have, so in all likelyhood, either would have the be 'consultants' that are not allowed on the sideline on games day

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I would rather have Coop over Sanders as a coach. Coop's been with this team a longggg time coming is all

13. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Cooper may not be done playing yet, and since he’s not on IR, he could possibly even catch on with another team. He isn’t retiring like Sanders is, so we may not have seen the last of him in an NFL uniform.

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    When did Bob Sanders say he was "retiring"?....... haven't seen that anywhere.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought he said that in his comments when going on IR, but perhaps it was just speculation posted here by someone... too busy to go look... :D

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think it's more the general assumption when you haven't been able to play much due to multiple constant injuries. I don't think he announced publicly that he's done

17. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    This article led me to believe that he is retiring, especially his concerns about his post-football career.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/28/sanders-experiment-finished

That does not sound to me like a man who plans to play professional football anymore, but I could be mistaken….

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think he was concerned that continuing to play with the injury this year would hurt his long-term health. I believe that was what Dr. Andrews told him. That doesn't mean he's done with football. If the injury had happened late in the season, he might've gutted it out. He wants to have a full recovery from the knee surgery before playing again. It will all depend on how well he recovers.

19. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I don't think you're mistaken at all. I think he's gone.

20. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    If his injury history weren't so bad, I'd agree. But I think he's done.

Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect not.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Guess again on adding RB - LB Gerald Hayes just agreed to terms according to UT.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That may turn out to be the case. It that doesn't change the fact that Bob Sanders has not retired, as was stated...... #imjustsaying

23. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    How many games has he even played in the last 3 – 4 seasons? I find it hard to believe that too many teams would be willing to kick the tires on him at this point, especially after watching him only last 2 games with us and knowing that the Colts had flat out released him prior to that. If he plays again, I’m sure he would want it to be for a contender, and most of them would likely be wary of signing the oft-injured veteran safety.

Would Sanders be willing to play for the veteran’s minimum, or would he expect compensation commensurate of the Superbowl Champion & former NFL Defensive Player of the Year that he is? If he played for a bottom feeder, he’d probably demand to get paid. If he signed with a contender, they would be holding all the “face cards” in the sense that he would need them, much more than they would need him, as great as he was in the past.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Who???

;)

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I don't think the Chargers were paying Sanders big money......... he knew he had something to prove to teams.

26. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I swear I've heard of him before.

27. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I saw that, but Norv did say that we will have 4 running backs active for each game from now on, so unless they think Jordan Todman is ready at this point, we’ll probably see another roster move to add another RB to our roster during this bye week.

28. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    And he still does, now even more so....

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Gasp! Say it aint so!! Sucks to see a great player plauged by injuries lose out so much on what they could have done.

O wait this is the bon voyage Coop thread.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Dude I hope so. That would be best case IMO.