1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steroids Dealer Found Dead

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ghost_, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3427526

Convicted steroids dealer who gave names to NFL found dead
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2008, 2:34 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    PLANO, Texas -- A convicted steroids dealer who recently met with NFL security officials and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him has been found dead in his home.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

David Jacobs, seen after pleading guilty to steroid charges in 2007, recently met with NFL officials -- and according to his lawyer, gave them the names of players who had received drugs he had made. He was found dead on Thursday.
    Just after midnight on Thursday, Plano police made a welfare check and found 35-year-old David Jacobs and 30-year-old Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell dead. Both had been shot.

Officer Rick McDonald, a police spokesman, said the officers were making a welfare check after relatives of Earhart-Savell expressed concern about her whereabouts.

He says Plano detectives aren't releasing information about whether the deaths were a double homicide or a murder-suicide, whether a weapon was found near the bodies, or any other details.

Jacobs was sentenced to three years probation and fined $25,000 on May 1 after pleading guilty last year in federal court in Dallas to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids.

Men in ski masks and jackets marked "police" were seen entering the home late Thursday morning, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The newspaper reported it had spoken with Jacobs frequently and exchanged e-mails with him as recently as last weekend. Jacobs had sought to rebuild his nutritional supplement business, but he was experiencing financial problems and having trouble getting his old client base to work with him, according to the report.

On May 21, Jacobs met with NFL security officials in the Dallas area and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him, according to Hank Hockeimer, his lawyer.

Hockeimer told the newspaper on Thursday he had not yet been briefed about the situation at Jacobs' house.

The league requested the meeting after Jacobs was sentenced to three years of probation on May 1 for a single count of conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids. He had cooperated with federal authorities since his arrest last year.

By his own account, Jacobs was a prolific salesman, moving 1,000 bottles of anabolic steroids a month and an equal number of growth hormone kits that he obtained illicitly from China.

Hockeimer had said that league officials seemed "genuinely interested" in what Jacobs had to say, as well as in canceled checks and e-mails that he provided.

Jacobs has publicly acknowledged that he dealt primarily with two NFL players, and earlier identified one of them as offensive lineman Matt Lehr. Last month, Jacobs told the Dallas Morning News that Lehr purchased tens of thousands of dollars of steroids and growth hormone from the spring of 2006 to the spring of 2007. He also told the paper that Lehr agreed to have boxes of raw steroid powder from China shipped directly to his Georgia home.

Lehr served a four-game suspension while a member of the Atlanta Falcons in October 2006 after he tested positive for a banned substance. He spent last season with Tampa Bay and was acquired by the Saints in the offseason.

Lehr's attorney, Paul Coggins, has said the player hasn't used banned substances since he was suspended and has since passed NFL drug tests. The attorney has also said Jacobs' allegations are retaliation because Lehr wouldn't pay Jacobs' legal fees.

After his sentencing, Jacobs told The New York Times that he hoped to tell league officials about "loopholes in their program." He also said he'd advised about 10 players to use finasteride, a drug to treat balding, because it masks steroid use.

Information from Shaun Assael and The Associated Press was used in this report.

:fan::fan:

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

Typical NFL policy. Bury the evidence. I'm surprised Rog didn't burn the whole place down...

Obviously, I'm kidding, but this is going to lead to a ton of speculation and the NFL has a pretty rough image right now.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

I agree but given most people's short memories the next thing you know Rog will be all over ESPN pimping the Pats and giving them some type of award. This makes me think Mike Vick got off easy (and alive- for now).

4. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

Sounds like BELI-CHEAT finally figured out its best to eliminate the leaks!

Stan :rivers17:

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    An espn reporter said the deceased had told him that day that " The type of people I'm turning on are the type to put a bullett in the back of your head".

I'm sure it was merely coincidence.

6. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Could the Bengals be involved? Given the number of players in the NFL with legal issues, the list of suspects gets long. No doubt he has some sort of ledger, so if anybody involved with this guy is breathing a sigh of relief, think twice.

7. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I think it was that loose cannon Mansker, the guy that shot Foley. He hates drug dealers too.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Look at this guy's myspace page...weird

http://www.nfljuice.com/2008/06/06/nfl-steroid-dealer-shotmysteriously/

David Jacobs, the NFL steroid snitch found shot dead in his Plano, Texas home with his girlfriend, didn't hide his love of all things performance-enhancing, and it may have cost him his life.

In addition to being the centerpiece in a dark NFL murder-mystery, Jacobs has also managed to become an over-sized figurehead for irony. From NFL Juice we get access to David Jacobs' Myspace page. His nickname? Uh, "Bulletproof."

Also, David's favorite quote is a little odd:

"Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain, Joy Wouldnt Feel Good If It Wasnt For Pain. Death Has To Be Easy Cause Life Is Hard. It Will Leave You Physically Mentally and Emotionally Scarred"

For those of you not up on your hip-hop lyrics, that little stanza is from 50 Cent's "Many Men (Wish Death)".

9. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    This is getting stranger,

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/

Death of David Jacobs, Steroids Dealer Who Gave Drugs to NFL Players, Ruled Suicide

Posted Jun 6th 2008 2:45PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Dallas, NFL Police Blotter, PEDs

A day after local police said convicted steroids dealer David Jacobs had been murdered in his home, the medical examiner has now said Jacobs actually committed suicide.

Jacobs and his ex-girlfriend, a bodybuilder named Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell were found dead of gunshot wounds on Thursday in Jacobs' home in Plano, Texas. Police said both were murdered, but the medical examiner said today that Jacobs died of two self-inflicted gunshot wounds, one to the abdomen and one to the head.

Authorities have not made a ruling on the cause of Earhart-Savell's death.

Multiple media outlets have reported that Jacobs met with NFL officials and gave them the names of players he said bought steroids from him. Those names have not been made public, although Jacobs had said previously that he gave steroids to Matt Lehr (pictured), an offensive lineman who served a four-game suspension last year for a violation of the NFL's policy on steroids and related substances.

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Who on earth would shoot themselves in the abdomen first if they were commiting suicide? I have a feeling the police are putting up a smoke screen to help with their investigation. On a side note, as odd as it may seem, I have actually met his girlfriend Amanda. She was at a meet and greet at a fitness expo and a friend that I was with just started up a conversation with her. Just a real sweetheart and gorgeous as hell! It's a damn shame if she was just an innocent bystander or if this guy did indeed take his life and hers as well.

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    Inspector Gadget is on the case
    [​IMG]

i was thinking the same thing (who shoot themselves twice when commiting suicide ) 100 % BS

12. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Somewhere Matt Walsh is trembling in his flip-flops.

13. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Some of you NFL conspiracy theory guys crack me up.

The guy was probably taken out by the people who supplied him with stuff.

14. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

But, but...he committed suicide by shooting himself twice.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm calling bullshit on this "investigation" .... :icon_rofl:

16. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I agree it wasn't suicide, but I just don't think it was the a hit by the NFL maphia

17. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I was a cop for a couple years and if the guy shot himself twice trying to committ suicide it wouldn't surprise me. People do some really weird stuff to themselves sometimes.

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    why should roger goodell even be commisioner of the NFL

19. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    "This was no boating accident!"

-Arlen Spector (in his best Richard Dryfus voice)

20. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    ...too bad he wasn't found next to Matt Walsh.

21. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Steroids dealer says he supplied Titans LB Fowler

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ug=ap-steroidsdealer-fowler&prov=ap&type=lgns

DALLAS (AP)—Convicted steroids dealer David Jacobs said before his death last week he supplied Tennessee Titans linebacker Ryan Fowler with performance-enhancing drugs before and after the 2006 season, The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday.

Fowler is under investigation by the NFL in an apparent steroids case.

Peter Ginsberg, Fowler’s lawyer, told The Associated Press on Monday he assumed the investigation stemmed from the death of Jacobs, who police say killed himself and his girlfriend in their Plano home. Ginsberg denied Fowler took steroids.

“He’s never tested positive for any banned substance,” the lawyer told the AP. “The accusations are without any basis.”

The Morning News reported that Jacobs said Fowler credited him for helping get a four-year, $11.5 million contract from the Titans after two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.

“After he got his big contract, he came back, knocked on my door and hugged me,” Jacobs said.

The bodies of Jacobs, 35, and Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell were found Thursday in the master bedroom of Jacobs’ home. His death was ruled a suicide, and police have said a .40-caliber Glock was found next to Jacobs.

Jacobs was sentenced to three years’ probation and fined $25,000 May 1 after pleading guilty last year to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids.

Jacobs previously told the Morning News he did not want to publicly implicate Fowler. He said he did not work out with Fowler.

Fowler allegedly met Jacobs through Bob Johnson, an amateur bodybuilder in suburban Dallas. Johnson said Fowler just wanted some vitamins and was “real adamant” about not taking anything illegal.

Jacobs met twice with NFL security officials and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him. He has said he sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of performance-enhancing drugs to former Cowboys offensive lineman Matt Lehr in 2006 and 2007. Lehr’s attorney has denied his client used banned substances after a four-game suspension in 2006.

The NFL said last week it is evaluating information provided by Jacobs.