1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Foley - 10 months later

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    POSTED 9:32 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 9:47 a.m. EDT, June 27, 2007

TEN MONTHS LATER, STEVE FOLEY 'NOT IN A GOOD PLACE'

by Michael David Smith

The NFL career of Chargers linebacker Steve Foley ended early in the morning of September 3, 2006, when he was shot three times outside his home by an off-duty police officer who had seen him driving drunk and pursued him for 30 miles.

In a great piece of broadcast journalism, NFL Network did a lengthy report on the Foley shooting Tuesday night, and although Foley wouldn't go on camera to talk to NFL Network, others close to Foley were quoted as saying he is "still shaken" and "not in a good place."

The NFL Network report provided an evenhanded look at what transpired that night. It showed sympathy for Foley, whose injuries will prevent him from ever playing football again, but it also noted that Foley's blood-alcohol level that night was 0.233, nearly three times the legal limit, that he pled guilty to misdemeanor DUI in connection with the incident, that it was his sixth run-in with the law, and that he had been in the league's alcohol-treatment program.

It also closely examined the actions of Coronado police officer Aaron Mansker, who shot Foley. The report left the strong impression that Mansker was overly eager to make the traffic stop, noting that Mansker followed Foley in his personal, unmarked car, and that he was neither wearing a uniform nor displaying a badge as he tried to get Foley to stop. The report even played a recording of a conversation between two police dispatchers talking to each other after Mansker informed them that Foley initially pulled over for him but then drove off. One dispatcher told the other, "I'm surprised he got him to pull over. I wouldn't pull over for him."

At the same time, Mansker's eagerness to stop drunk drivers is motivated by the fact that his father was killed by a drunk driver. And Mansker was correct in thinking that Foley was drunk and therefore a danger to other drivers on the road, and it's possible to understand, given everything that happened, why Mansker feared for his life once he finally stopped Foley outside his home. (Foley's companion that night was just ordered to serve 180 days in jail for assault with a deadly weapon after driving Foley's car at Mansker.)

Foley was placed on the non-football injury list last year, which means he was not paid for the 2006 season. He'll never collect another NFL paycheck. Whether you have sympathy for Foley and think Mansker overstepped his bounds, or whether you think Foley has no one to blame but himself, the NFL Network report was a powerful look at a horrifying series of events.

link

• Like Like x 2
  2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Mansker the zealot and Foley the troubled NFL player with an alcohol problem...what a meeting made in Hell that was. I absolutely do not agree with Foley drinking (smashed) and driving but I also feel sorry that he ended up with a career-ending injury. He deserved jail time, not being shot. That show sounds interesting...if they replay it I might watch it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I happened to catch this piece on NFLN the other night, felt it was pretty objective. Very sad event for Steve. I hope he can overcome this trauma & move on to a productive life.

4. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    A lot of people don't do good things to themselves and others
    - drinking too much alcohol.
    But KimP is right. Steve shouldn't end like this.
    Hope he can take himself out of this misery and regain a powerful and positive living.

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I hope Mansker gets what he deserves. Jail time for assaulting Foley with a Deadly weapon, forced to pay emotional and physical trauma he caused Foley, and lost wages and never working at any position of authority for the government again.

Maybe that would teach off-duty cops from taking the law in their own hands and shooting an unarmed person.

6. D-Funk

D-Funk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Dont confuse the issue. Foley didnt get shot because he was DUI. He got shot because his dumb BEEEYAWTCH girlfriend drove his f-ing car at a guy holding a gun.

With his level at .23 he should worry less about not getting a paycheck and just be thankful he didnt end someones life FOR REAL.

7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    But the simple fact of the matter is Foley DIDN'T kill anyone. Frankly out of the thousands of people a night who drive over .18 less than a handful get into an accident that is directly caused by being over the limit. More people die because of kids in the car, Rubber necking, and cell phones Separately.

Also Foley was not shot because a car was coming towards the officer. He officer threatened Foley and shot at the car AND Foley. One of the shots went through Foley's back leg.

Perhaps some people need to read up on it.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There's an LA Sheriff's Deputy on trial now for shooting an unarmed and decorate Iraq vet. Mansker violated at least a half dozen rules of arrest and treatment of suspects.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So is Foley gonna own Coronado as was speculated early on, or is this gonna fizzle under its own weight??

• Like Like x 1
  10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Here's the video.

http://www.nfl.com/video

• Like Like x 1
  11. D-Funk

D-Funk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Perhaps some people need to learn how to communicate in English. If I understand your point - and again you do make it difficult - you're saying that Foley wasn't shot because a car was coming at the officer. You're right about that one point. Foley was actually shot BECAUSE he reached into his wasteband. The sequence of events was such that the car driven by Foley's girlfriend had already had its tires shot out by Mansker because she was driving the car at Mansker. So was Foley shot because of the car? Not exactly, it was his reaching into his wasteband that is the direct reason for why he got shot.

BUT

My point really doesnt change. Foley isn't where he's at because of a DUI. I've driven drunk LOTS of times. So does everyone. I don't think a guy needs to get shot up for a DUI. Jail time is a little more reasonable.

BUT WHEN YOU DO ANYTHING BESIDES PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR WHEN A GUY HAS A GUN ON YOU, YOURE A PHUKKING MORON.

Foley got cute. He got shot. At least it wasn't in the chest cavity.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    [BUT WHEN YOU DO ANYTHING BESIDES PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR WHEN A GUY HAS A GUN ON YOU, YOURE A PHUKKING MORON.

Foley got cute. He got shot. At least it wasn't in the chest cavity.[/QUOTE]

Which brings up another point about Mansker. Rule number 1-you never shoot just to wound, the gun is for deadly force. Rule number 2-Point for the center body mass. Foley was dumb enough all right, but the more I think about Mansker the hinkier it gets. Big target, close enough for a huge margin of error, and about all he hit were peripheral parts of Foley's body. If Foley had been some desparado, the way this played out means that the cop is probably a statistic.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Don't push your inability to understand simple sentences upon me. If English isn't your first language, which I gather from your posts it isn't, then I will try to write is smaller less complicated sentences and not use big words.

The cop SAID that Foley reached into his waste band as if reaching for a gun. No witnesses saw it nor has the cop been put under a lie detector.

So we have the word of a rookie cop who says he thought Foley was reaching for a possible gun. Then he shot Foley three times even after the first time Foley really didn't pose a risk and obviously didn't have a gun. Foley was limping towards him and the officer with his gun and Foley with NOTHING was threatening to the officer. IF the officer was a reasonable man he would have backed away until help arrived instead of shooting Foley until he could no longer stand.

If I pick a fight with three guys who are bigger than me I don't whine about them kicking my ***. The cop started the entire situation, it was in his power to escalate it and he did. The entire waste band thing, because one must wonder since Foley had nothing there why was he lifting it up, was most likely made up by the cop to have a reason for shooting Foley.

Cops lie all the time. Frankly I won't believe his story until he goes under a lie detector.

If he wasn't a cop and did the same thing than he would be facing jail time Easily. However because he is a cop somehow he is immune to normal laws that the everyday person has to follow.

Guilty is guilty there is no reason Mansker should be a cop (anymore) and no reason he shouldn't pay the hospital bills (Of Foley). Hell even if you think that Mansker was in his rights (which he wasn't) he still made a mistake and has to pay for it. A simple "my bad" won't cover it.

14. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    He reached into his waistband ACCORDING TO MANSKER. But how many times have we heard that tired line? He has to say that. Do you believe the "followed Foley all the way to his house then decided to leave but got trapped in a cul de sac and feared for his life" bit too?

What was Mansker listening to again? I remember they said it in one article but i forget things.

15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Its true, in fact yesterday an officer was found NOT GUILTY on all charges after he was caught ON VIDEO shooting an unarmed, off duty MP 3 times. HE was actually laying on the ground when he was shot. Unbelievable.

The officer used the same "reaching for something that wasnt there" line. He won.

16. D-Funk

D-Funk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Cops lie all the time. They're human. But to assume that this cop is lying just because Foley was our Charger brother is juvenile. The reaching for the wasteband excuse is a common way cops lie but it doesn't always indicate a lie.

Foley made a LOT of mistakes. He drove drunk. He wouldnt stop his car. He drove his car at the dude. He kept coming towards a dude with a gun on him. I think Mansker is a sad lil ***** just like most people here but I know for certain tha Foley is a dumb mofo and I do not feel sorry for the man at all.

I don't even want to get into Foley's past which includes 6 arrests and 2 on the same day! He was a wild man but that's no big deal usually.

But this time he went too far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I assume when cops say that they all lie. If the cop knew Foley had a gun he wouldn't have approached him. Hell most cops understand that if a cop threatens another person with a gun, repeatedly (the cop showed it to Foley during one of the other stops) IF the other person had a gun they would have showed it by then.

Which is a more believable story. Foley who has no gun and nothing in his wasteband reaches for it while someone is holding a gun to them.

Or

The officer after not initially reporting Foley having a gun and after talking with fellow officers suddenly mentions in a report that he thought Foley was going for a gun. If we are to believe all police that is the only time they shoot people.

When police were asked about the Rodney King beating they said he threatened them and they used equal force to subdue him. Hell follow Mansker's example if they just shot him then they wouldn't have to worry about the trial or being found guilty.

In San Diego State a police officer/guard used a stun gun on a skateboarder who had no weapons of anytime. The skateboarder was of course breaking the law when skateboarding in San Diego. If he was reaching in his pockets should the cop have shot him as well?

Cops literally get away with murder. Shooting someone who is unarmed is NEVER EVER acceptable. Even just to injure them. They are meant to protect the public. Mansker's actions only put the public, and two other people's lives, in danger. He doesn't deserve his badge nor does he deserve to get away with his "mistake".

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

Here's where you lose your arguement.

D-Funk "Foley wouldn't stop his car". Fact: He did.

D-Funk "He drove his car at the dude" Fact: Foley wasn't driving!

D-Funk "I think Mansker is a sad lil ***** just like most people
    here"
    So, now you know most of us here? Your not real bright, are you? :no:

D-Funk "I know for certain tha Foley is a dumb mofo"

So, you know Steve Foley, too? :icon_huh:

:eek:wned:

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Alcoholics can function at some levels that most of us cant.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is embarassing to admit Mansker went to one of my alma maters (Palomar College) but I hope he gets a royal *** reaming.

Even the dispatcher the night of the shooting said "I would not pull over for him either" in reference to Mansker.

Manskers dad was killed by a drunk driver as well.

The fuc-ker had illusions of grandeur to raape the world one drunk driver at a time as payback for his dad getting killed. Well that is all well and good but this pimpled snot nosed ******* carrying a badge shot one of the ugliest Chargers to have ever have worn a Chargers uniform. Drew Brees said "Foley could play without a helmet" or "is what linebacker should ..... look like".

Foley should not have been driving drunk - stoned yes but not drunk. :abq2: You lose too much coordination being drunk and then trying to drive. :yes:

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mansker woulda been aired out by my neighbors here in San Antone if he'da pulled that **** here.

22. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Wow, I'd better get with the program. I had no idea that "everyone" was driving drunk "LOTS" of time. I do want to be like everyone else, right?

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Naw, following the crowd is so over rated. Just be yourself. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  24. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    That depends on who's in the crowd and what they are wearing :whistling::joke:

<rant>(rant)
    About the horrific events of last year and D-Funk's comments...

Punkster was the absolute moron in the deal and should be kicked off the force and never be allowed to own a gun again!

He had already called in the tag, which should have provided him the information on where Foley lived (did he even ask dispatch?) Knowing Foley was on the street he lived, there would be no need to continue to follow - could have stopped and waited for backup if he had that big of a burr up his butt. For that matter, he shouldn't have been following him like that to begin with!! What the hell did he think he was going to accomplish? Foley had already demonstrated he wasn't going to do what Punkster said when he drove away the first two times. Following him could have no positive affects and would be more likely to make things worse by leading the driver being followed to drive faster, be distracted, and/or drive recklessly trying to get away from him. The only concievable (and invalid) reason to keep following is so that Punkster could personally arrest him and be "a big man." :rolleyes:

When he saw Foley out of his car as he came down Foley's street, why did he keep coming? Why did he go past him? Why didn't he stop? (after all, he had stopped before and allowed Foley to approach his car) Why didn't he backup away from Foley at that point? (instead of continuing on past him in an unfamiliar neighborhood, with the chance that the "drunk driver" might do something to cause himself to be hit by the car ... or was he hoping that would happen?)

Why did the idiot get out of his car and pull his gun when he hit the cul-de-sac instead of staying in the car... or driving back the other way? (after all, he found no reason not to drive past Foley the first time... nor had gotten out of his car when Foley had previously approached).

Why did the idiot shoot his gun off in a residential neighborhood initially anyway? What if there had been a kid behind the "berm" or something in the berm the bullet could have ricocheted off of? What possible reason could a real police officer have for firing his frigging gun off like that? ("Don't mess with me, I have a gun and I'll really use it" as his knees clatter together)

Let's not forget that his stooopid firing of the gun was what triggered the entire sordid mess either (leading to the woman with Foley surging forward in an attempt to protect him, leading to more shots, etc.)

Should Foley have stopped instead of going on into his house? Heck no!! But that doesn't make any of Punkster's actions justified or correct... they are still just as frigging stupid and wrong!

As a side note, the police in general have way too high of a tendency to use their guns when they shouldn't. They should be held to the same standards as any other citizen is... no actually a higher standard considering their position. Ask yourself, if Mansker wasn't a cop and shot someone under those conditions, would he still be walking the streets? (being a police officer shouldn't give someone free reign).

(rant off)
    <rant off=""></rant></rant>