1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Foley in trouble with the law

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I caught this on the Houston Chronicle website. I haven't heard much from him since that renegade off-duty cop manskered him. Guess trouble has a way of finding Foley though. He's accused of not securing his pit bulls and they attacked a woman. Felony Charges. :no:

What do you guys think?

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    He may do some jail time for this. If not, that woman will sue him. I also have to wonder why his pitbulls were that riled up. Abuse comes to mind.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if they were that riled I wonder if they've bitten someone before - if so Foley is absolutely up ****'s creek. If this was the first time then yeah he'll have to pay up to the woman

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Trouble does not find you. You are responsible for your own actions.
    Again, he thinks that because he's rich and famous that the laws that apply to all other US citizens do not apply to him.

This goes to show even more about how irresponsible he is and how he has zero concern for the well being of people around him.
    First it's numerous counts of drunk driving and now it's failing to secure a pit bull. Why do you feel sorry for him?

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Some dog and animal owners just don't have a clue how dangerous thier pets are. I meet them all the time. They think fluffy wouldn't hurt anyone. But that is so unknowing. I"ve been chewed upon pretty good a couple times in the last couple of years by dogs that think their protecting thier master or home while I'm doing work for those people.

MY nephew has a very bad pit bull. Just a mean dog. He's finally starting to think of putting it down. It has a twin brother dog that is as peaceful as can be. So I"m guessing some are just born bad or learn bad habits.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's the old nature or nurture discussion. Sometimes it's one or the other and sometimes it's both. Foley apparently doesn't have a clue about how to conduct his own life, so there is no reason to expect that the dogs he owns, especially these kind, would be raised and trained to behave any differently that he does-without any real control.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Another irresponsible owner giving a good breed a bad name. Pits are not bad dogs by nature, at least not normally. They do respond aggressively to certain types of training and/or treatment.

I guess Foley has more behavioral issues than many of us thought. :icon_huh:

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    In this case he should pay threw the nose. Pit Bulls were bred to fight. While they can be taught good manners they also can be very dangerous when pushed in the wrong direction.

Attacking and killing a small dog in the owners arms and attacking the owner is out of control. Foley's irresponsible behavior cost three dogs their life's and traumatized at least one women and in all likely hood a neighborhood.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    yeah because you hear about labs, golden retrievers, and toy poodles roaming neighborhoods attacking people, killing children (happened in the bay area two years ago), and killing other dogs all the time. Call me the next time a player gets arrested for dog fighting with a great dane and a beagle.

There are hundreds of great breeds that don't have this dangerous potential, that are wonderful dogs, with great personalities and come in all shapes, colors and sizes, I don't understand why people defend this breed.

10. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Wow, this is really too bad. For them to charge him with felonies there has to be some extensive background of habitual issues.

11. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I had a American Staffordshire Terrier, AKA Pit Bull. Brendle without any white. Her name was Coacoa. The small one, not the big one. I owned her for 9 years. Excellent dog. She growled at a person once in her life, because the person got between my son and I.

No matter how hard i tried, I could not train her to not attack other dogs she did not know. This is instinct to them. No matter how well you train them, this behavior is there to some degree.

That's why I will never own a Pit again.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hate pits and nobody can convince me otherwise and they have become part of the hip-hop gangster image. Should one ever stray anywhere near my house or family I'd drop his *** and deal with whatever comes after.

Too bad for Foley and I really liked him when he was on the team. That said he better get his lawyer moving on Mansker because he's going to need the money.

• Like Like x 2
  13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I found some interesting info on that renegade cop Aaron Mansker that shot Foley. Evidently, he considers murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats of violence and torture to be acceptable crime fighting tactics. Driven by the deaths of his family, who were killed by the mob when they witnessed a gangland execution in New York City's Central Park, the Punisher, I mean Mansker, wages a one-man war on the mob and all criminals in general by using all manner of weaponry. A war veteran, Mansker is a master of martial arts, stealth tactics, hand-to-hand combat, and a wide variety of weapons. Plus, I heard he didn't make his high school football team & ended up turning to the tiddlywinks team for the thrill of competition. Hated football players ever since.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Mansker was not his first alcohol related run in with the police. More like his fourth or fifth.

I really liked him when he was a Charger. I met him twice and he was a really nice guy but he needs to grow up and show some responsibility. He's not a kid. He's 32.
    If anybody else had his police record, they'd be doing time.

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Surprisingly, this is the first time I've heard someone say this. Thank you for being responsible.

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My dog is so bad (as in awful)... the dog catcher has my cell phone number. :lol:

Read the book "Marley & Me"... that's my dog in a nutshell.

Crazy Benny is his name. He hates pit bulls too... :yes:

[​IMG]

He's on Xanax now... and we love it!!! :abq2:

17. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Got me a Flat Coat Retriever and a Shiba-Inu now. Retriever is the best dog ever.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're right. The dog's holder has know his dog well, treat him in a good manner and control him when other people are around. Every dog can be teached to bite, but pit bulls are a bad guys attraction.
    Foley has to take the responsibility, what his dog has done to that woman. Hope she get fine again.
    But the story about Steve Foley makes me sad. I know that it's business, but I feel Ex-Chargers in a way belonging to us like family (Even Junior Seau at the hated Pats).

.. but every familiy has it's lost relatives..

19. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Man Nick that pic reminds me of how pretty it is up in Chico. Good times. :tup:

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    This anti-Pitbull propaganda seems to be getting to people. Too bad most people are uninformed and thus make uninformed decsions.

I have been attacked by "safe" gold retrievers twice. I had a golden retriever who was trained for a blind person snap at one of my friends. I know kids who were attacked by a bunch of small "helpless" dogs.

" Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.) "

Pitbulls are targeted because when they attack it is very dangerous. They are more common than many other breeds and when they attack it is usually more deadly. They however do not represent a majority of dog attacks, BUT attacks that end in serious injuries.

"Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows."
    http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog Bite Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html

(BTW read the site above. IF you follow proper handling you reduce the chance of your dog, any dog, of biting someone dramatically)

However, if trained they are not inherently more dangerous than other breeds. IF Pit Bulls were outlawed than breeders who breed dogs would simply pick another breed and breed aggression into them.

My friend has a pitbull and I couldn't train him to attack another dog or person. I have another friend who owned a black lab and he had to be put down.

As for the Foley case he should of restrained them. Being in jail for 10 years seems more than a bit much. He should have his dogs taken away and shouldn't be allowed to own a dog for a long time. That would solve the problem. It isn't even that bad of a case.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Hey, Steve! We just hijacked this thread and turned it into a poochie thread!!! :icon_rofl:

22. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

No one's saying other dogs don't bite, or can't hurt people, or even be trained to hurt people. But find me one story of golden retriever killing it's own 12 old master because it was in heat? This happend about 3 years ago in the bay area. The boy was left at home with two pitbulls, and the male dog attacked and killed a 12 year old boy. This isn't a toddler, or a five year old who can't defend it's self.

Or even stories of a labs patroling the streets randomly attacking people and killing other dogs unprovoked? (like in this foley article).

The point is you'll always find exceptions to the rules. There a traditionally good breeds, that have dogs that bite, attack uprovoked, but never to same degree as pits. There are a lot great pits out there, but there is a huge precentage of them that are very aggressive, and they can be extremely unpredictable. For example, some pits will be completely friendly for years, and then something just snaps, and they turn soar, turning on their owners. There was a case about 15 years ago where I woman's head was KNAWED OFF completely, cut off at he neck by her pet pit. I literally saw the photos first hand. Horribly gross (a friend of mine is law enforcement).

So why would you pick this breed of dog? I LOVE dogs, I've owned all sorts of breeds, from labs to german shepards, to an old english mastiff. You can get every quality that you would find with a pit in a dozen different dogs and not have to worry about it killing someone some day.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I have known plenty of extremely gentle pit bulls as well as some mean ones. I live next door to an aggressive Chocolate Lab. One of the most common sources of bites is Cocker Spaniels. A lady friend has a female Golden that has to be watched because she can become aggressive to other dogs and even lunges against her lead at people who get to close to the blanket at beaches where dogs are allowed. I was nearly jumped once by a Springer Spaniel at Seaport Village-came up inches short on the leash. Even a Springer can do some damage. A Saint Bernard at a dog show almost tore loose from his cubicle to get at me. Came awfully close to my face.

Used to walk my dog by a place occupied by a particularly large Dobie who nearly came through the fence first time I drifted by. Next time, I brought some beef jerky. After that he was a cup cake. That reminds of a Kuvasz that I used to see quite often at the old A la Francaise on Goldfinch. Real cup cake, until he so much as spotted another dog, even in a car-then he went ape. Some breeds have to be more especially socialized, but they can ALL have their quirks.

24. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Why do people pick hairless cats as pets. I am not against NOT owning a Pitbull. What I am against is banning the dog breed, attacking owners of them, and unfairly casting a breed that isn't even the most aggressive dog on the list.

If given as much training and treatment as a Golden Retriever a Pittbull will be just as kind as one.

When you get a dog you have a responsibility. Most people seem to ignore this and not only don't train the dog, they don't get the dog fixed.

In your story the first thing they did incorrectly was not neuter the dog. Then they leave two dogs in heat with a 12 year old boy? How dumb is that. Leaving ANY dog unless it is highly trained in a small area while its trying to mate is careless to begin with. Doing it with a dog that is bred for fighting is just plain stupid.

As for dogs roaming around. Yes I have seen gold retrievers, and other small dogs roaming around. Yes I have seen them attack other dogs before. Yes this pack wasn't a pittbull. Go to LA. They are having a huge problem with stray dogs running in groups. If you want go mess with them and see if they attack you. I have a feeling they will even if their not pitbulls.

Here is an example. Dalmatians are a breed that is very territorial. Mix this with a lot of inbreeding and you get a dog that has a higher pertinacity to attack than Pitbulls. Dog attacks by breed changes by the popularity of the breed. I can take the most tame dog breed and start breeding aggression. In a few generations I can make practically any breed aggressive. With training I can speed it along even further.

The only thing that needs to happen with Pittbulls is for the government to crack down on training pittbulls to fight. If Breeders start breeding out the aggressive traits that other breeders put in to these dogs then even the slightly higher aggressiveness will be gone.

IF your going to buy a pittbull look into the history of its parents. Do some simple tests to see possible aggression. Get your dog fixed and train him. If you do all these the possibility of it "snapping" some day is about the same as any other breed.

25. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Call a duck and damn duck...

Foley has the same track record as the dogs he owned... BAD!

26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    According that I think it will be hard for her to prove that it is in fact a felony case.

She can sue Foley, but he should really only pay for the cost of medical bills and maybe the lost dog. Frankly she doesn't deserve millions of dollars for the attack.

From the information we don't know how active her or her dog was in this case. Some details are left out of it, and I would have to know them before I could pass judgment.

He should have the dogs taken away and maybe not be allowed to own a dog for a few years.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Man, fuk pit bulls.

This is why I own 2 kickme dogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.