1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Sabol dead at 69

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sad news. Condolences to his family.

The football world said good-bye to a legend of the sport Tuesday. Steve Sabol, President of NFL Films, died of brain cancer just weeks away from 70th birthday.
    Sabol took over the mantle of NFL Films from his father Ed, who founded the company. Steve learned in March of 2011 that he had a brain tumor that couldn't be removed. Steve introduced his father during Ed's emotional enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August of 2011.
    Generations of NFL fans learned to love the game of football through the lens of Ed and Steve Sabol. Steve started out as a cameraman before eventually running company.
    "We all realized pretty quickly that Steve was the force behind what we were doing here," the NFL Films' head of cinematography Hank McElwee said this year. "The pictures. Big Ed had the idea and he sold the owners on it, but when it came to the actual vision of this company, without a doubt it was Steve. Steve saw things in a unique way that every network is copying right now."
    Steve Sabol won over 40 Emmy awards and oversaw 107 Emmys for NFL Films. He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003. The company broke ground as the first to wire players and coaches for sound. It revolutionized how music was used with sports films. It was the first to use ground-level slow motion and montage editing in sports. So much of what we see in sports television came directly from the Sabol. He was both an artist and an executive.
    NFL Films was a family company in the truest sense. That's why it feels like the NFL is losing a member of its family today. Sabol and his father spent their lives glorifying the game above all.
    "My dad has a great expression," Sabol said when his father's induction was announced. "Tell me a fact, and I'll learn. Tell me a truth and I'll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever. And now my Dad's story will be in Canton and hopefully that will live forever too."
    The story of the NFL can't be told without Steve Sabol. May he rest in peace.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I loved the early work they did and actually bringing the game to life with pictures, words and music. RIP Steve and blessed be your family.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Steve may have done as much as any man to instill a love of the NFL in me at a young age.

The imagery was stupendous...but one other huge contribution is often overlooked:

Steve knew the value of great music...I'll never forget being a little kid and watching
    NFL highlights to "Forearm Shiver," "Ramblin' Man From Gramblin'" and, especially, "The Lineman" :)
    Who would've ever thought to commission (mostly from Sam Spence) an orchestra (!) to play "football music" ?

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/mediaplayer.asp?ean=021694700328&disc=1&track=15

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    RIP Steve, one helleva story-teller

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He is in part why so many NFL fans know so much about their history

RIP

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I enjoyed watching all the NFL films, but I loved watching the old Football Follies.

RIP Steve Sabol, he may be gone but he will NEVER be forgotten

7. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Man knew how to tell a story for sure.

RIP

8. Charger Harold

Charger Harold BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Rest in peace Steve Sabol, one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

9. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Merged the 2 Steve Sabol threads...

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    His is the voice of the NFL I hear when I think of games of the past.

I'm going to miss him.

11. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    A Giant has died, like his father before him Steve Sabol was a big reason I became such a big fan of the NFL. Rest In Peace Steve Sabol, you will be missed.

Some NFL Films music from YouTube:
    Classic Battle
    Unitas We Stand

12. Charger Harold

Charger Harold BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I often recall Film Days at my elementary school. 1970s. The teacher would roll in the film projector and we'd enjoy Football Follies. Sure, it was probably always the same 20 minute reel, but it was fun for awhile.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Good stuff!

For me, THIS ("The Lineman") will probably always be the quintessential football song
    (it's in the "most played" file of MP3s for use on long truck drives) :) (I think 'The Simpsons' even used it!)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Good stuff indeed! I'd even go so far to call it great stuff.