1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Smith still dreamin' of San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Carolina’s Steve Smith teams of choice: Baltimore, San Diego
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 17, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

Late last season, Carolina’s Steve Smith went to Panthers owner Jerry Richardson’s house and asked to be traded.

Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer confirms this with multiple sources, and we’ve seen it elsewhere. Before the lockout started, the Panthers reportedly started to shop Smith around quietly.

While Smith has mostly stayed quiet on the issue this offseason, his desire to leave the team seems pretty obvious. And the Panthers seem open to the idea.

If Smith is dealt, Sorensen writes that his teams of choice include the Chargers and Ravens. Basically, he wants to go to a playoff contender.

The Chargers were rumored in connection to Smith earlier this offseason, and make a lot of sense because they could use another veteran receiver.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The more I think on it, the more I think we should just save our draft pick, and save a little money, and go after someone like Braylon Edwards or just re-sign Malcom Floyd. I know Braylon isn't the most popular player, but the guy is a physical freak and he fits what we do perfectly, he'd be a hell of a #2. And of course we know we can't go wrong with Floyd, despite being a little inconsistant and injury prone over the years he was on pace for over 1200yds last year before he got hurt.

Both will be cheaper financially, and neither will cost us a draft pick.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Because AJ never misses with his draft picks. ;)

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No, in fact his 3rd round picks have been awful in recent years. But why waste it? And why spend 7 mil a year on a 32yr old Smith when Rivers has shown he can be just as productive with far less talented players.

Braylon and Floyd would come a lot cheaper and be just as effective, and you can't even play the character card because its not like Smith is a golden boy.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I would assume any trade would involve a restructuring of his contract....... he's not worth top dollar at his age.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that + low draft pick price are only ways I'd even consider trading for Smith

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Of course, you're not the one making that decision. ;)

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Nobody in here is making that decision.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Do you know that for certain? ;)

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Let him dream about San Diego all he wants. Re-sign Floyd.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sure, but what if Jackson's tag is nullified and he gets granted free agent status....... What then?

12. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh, and what if an asteroid hits SoCal...what then?

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Because the odds of an asteroid hitting San Diego and franchise tags being nullified are equal.

14. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    The point being that neither has happened yet and until it does, why worry about it?
    "what-ifs" are good conversation starters, but the thread is about Smith dreaming about San Diego. I say let him dream (because what I say really matters).

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    As a general viewpoint on life I agree with you.

However, this entire thread is about a "what-if" scenario because, as of now, Steve Smith is still a Carolina Panther.

Because of that it seems silly to me to nitpick which "what-ifs" we should take into consideration and which ones we should not.

16. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    True.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    How does that pertain to the topic? My comment wasn't just idle speculation.

The fact is, since Jackson is one of the plaintiffs in the Brady lawsuit, so there's a real possibility that his franchise tag could be nullified. In order to settle that case, the owners may have to grant special considerations to the named plaintiffs. THis type of thing has happened in the past, so it could happen again.

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    then we are able to get rid of that jerk! He is only in it for himself!

19. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    More info. This makes more sense. I wasn't aware.

I personally like Steve Smith's game on the field...but he is kinda known for being a jerk. I don't want to see him trying to
    beotchslap Cason during practice. But hey, it's not like we don't have any idiots (jackson) on the team already. If it improves
    our game, sure bring him on (ala Rivers).

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It's seems that the whole franchise tag business will be one of the last fights. The players want the teams to only be allowed to use it once on a player, not 3 times like it has been. Jackson is a special case, but the battle for leverage isn't over yet.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If we can find a choir boy that can put up the production Jackson does then I'm all for making the switch. In the meantime Jackson, despite his faults, helps the team win. (Regardless of whether or not that's his personal first priority)

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Hayl no to Smith and Sanders.... Oh wait... We already signed Mr. Glass didnt we?

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Correct me if I am wrong, but VJ hasn't been franchised before, right? He had a RFA tender placed on him. from what I have read, the nullification of the franchise tag would only effect players who have had it placed on them prior, as the players are fighting to limit the franchise tag to being used only once on a given player.

Am I wrong here?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Pass on smith. Jackoffson will be signed as soon as the CBA negotiations are completed, I'm hoping in November sometime.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't mind Smith as long as his contract is restructured and we don't give up a high round pick for him.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That is the main argument, yes...... but the owners may have to give all the named plaintiffs something in order to settle the case.

What do you think Jackson wants more, the money he lost by holding out, or getting his tag nullified so he can sign a big deal somewhere? My guess would be the latter.

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    VJ can rot on the vine. Let him sit this season out just like he did last year. Orlando Pace had the tag on him for 3 seperate years. But then he also played with it. VJ is only looking out for himself, an alcoholic who is one step removed from getting a one year suspension.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    VJ won't rot on the vine. You can bet someone is out there just praying that we let him walk.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Where is Pointy?

30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,731
    I've been out of town on some business. What is going on?