1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Smith suspended for the first two games

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Aug 2, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    link

CHARLOTTE – The Carolina Panthers have suspended three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Steve Smith for the first two games of the regular season for his involvement in a training camp fight on Friday with cornerback Ken Lucas.

Smith, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, will continue to practice when training camp resumes on Monday and will be allowed to participate in preseason games, according to coach John Fox.

The Panthers are off on Sunday.

“What (Smith) did was wrong and we take very serious and he is being punished severely for it,” Fox said.

Lucas left the practice field at Wofford College on Friday with ice over his left eye after taking a punch from Smith after an argument on the sidelines became heated. Several eyewitnesses said Smith punched Lucas while Lucas was in a defenseless position resting on one knee.

Fox said Lucas has a broken nose.

"He is doing fine and he's in great mental spirits which is critical," Fox said. "It could have been worse. Not that a broken nose is not bad enough, but we will treat it as we go."

The Panthers could have suspended Smith up to four games.

"You to try to do what is fair. It is something that is inexcusable. It's a pretty severe punishment," Fox said.

Smith will miss the season opener at San Diego on Sept. 7 and the home opener the following Sunday against Chicago.

When asked if he thinks Smith and Lucas can patch things up and help the team be productive, Fox replied, "I believe so, but time will tell."

Fox also seemed to issue a stern warning toward Smith and his future actions.

"He is still ours and he will have conditions," Fox said. "He knows what those are and we will move forward."

Lucas did not practice on Saturday at Fan Fest and is listed as day-to-day. However, he come into the locker room on Saturday morning and talk with his teammates.

Smith was not at the stadium and did not speak to the media.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn1! I wanted Jammer to put a big hit on Smith. :icon_twisted:

Oh well, saves Smith the embarrassment of being on the field for an opening day ***-whoopin'. :yes:

Lucas should take a **** in his car. :lol:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    OK Teddy load up the LOS and blitz the piss out of them on Sep 7th. :yes: :abq2::bolt::abq1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Wow. I didn't think the Panthers would come down on him this hard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...My thoughts exactly. That's a stiff penalty that certainly won't help the rest of the team. Honestly, I don't mind him missing the opener:lol: Sometimes the Bolts start off flat and this is the one guy on that offense that scares me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Oh yeah, baby!!!!! QB stew for dinner - Merriman & Phillips get the wishbone!!! :lol: :abq2:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Wow.

I didn't think John Fox would have the stones to do that, considering the immense pressure he is under to take the Panthers to the playoffs again this year.

If the Panthers end up missing the playoffs by one game, this may end up being reviewed by Carolina faithful. Especially if one or both games wind up close.

8. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    He was suspended once before for a camp fight for one game (i think 2002). They had to at least equal that penalty again.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I think the penalty was more severe this time because the injuries that Steve Smith inflicted on Lucas were much worse than that previous incident.

I don't know if Smith broke that guy's nose or something similar in the incident years ago.

BTW, they are eating each other alive on the Panthers forums right now.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Smith beat the **** out that guy in the film room, and later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Hey Buck, I'm pretty sure that "Delhomme" is french for "Merriman's dinner".

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Some of them are predicting a loss to us, but others are pretty confident:

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Delhomme and Rivers will be letting the smack talk flow!

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    What a coincidence, LT is suspended for the first four preseason games. Although, LT was suspended so he can sock defenses in the jaw come regular season. Interesting.:yes:

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    yeah have to admit I was expecting 1 game too.

glad he had the stones

15. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    That quote about Gates making his money near the sidelines where their LB's can push him out now isn't even factual. Gates money is the middle of the field.

16. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    You understand though that Smith sucker punched Lucas when Lucas was on one knee. Third fight he has been in. I think it could have been a worse penalty

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Just another unproffessional gang-banger with break away speed, makes you really appreciate some of the class acts we have on our squad.

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Let them think that, and then reality will hit them in the face like a Steve Smith right cross. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. HBM

HBM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing how well we can defend the pass this season. This would have been a great test game1~