1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

sticking up for aj...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I think a lot of people on this board and others have been way to hard on AJ, it wasn't six months ago that we all ready to buy and sell his piss over the internet, and while I am as disapointed as the next guy, calling for his head seems way to extreme. I still think he's one of the best GMs in the game.

On his ability with the draft. Everyone points to Buster, Weddle and Hesters as major busts.

But we are quick to forget about tolbert and Cason. Cason has been killing it this year, especially for a rookie. He always seems to be making plays and for a rookie playing one of the hardest positions in the game, he's a real gem. How many of you were excited about this pick or even knew his name before draft day?

While tolbert hasn't filled the shoes of Lorenzo Neal, who could? I don't even think Lorenzo Neal could this year. He was old, and definitely showing his downside. But tolbert will learn, and has already proven to be a weapon this year. A real weapon.

Ok onto weddle. I think we are selling this guy way too short. He's been struggling but he's shown a lot of promise and he's making rookie mistakes because he practically is a rookie. If there was a ever a player we should show some patience with he's the one. He's had some close picks, got us a TD last game, and plays with heart. He's not the problem.

And buster, well I think I agree with you guys, he's not looking great. But he still has another year, and we forget that we have floyd. but I think it's too early to run him out of town. I'd give him to this time next year. We are staked at WR, he's not taking a valuable spot on our roster, and he's shown flashes. It's not like we have to even go out and draft a replacement WR. Which is the sign of a good GM. When we drafted Buster, WR was by FAR our biggest weak spot. One and half seasons later, we are sooo stacked at WR we can wait and see on a second year first round pick. That too me shows, he didn't put all his eggs in one basket, created depth and competivness in a need position.

As far as locking up under performing players...

Tucker, he showed a lot of promise and was pretty much the only viable option we had. The team saw him as a quality player, who knew the defense and worked with the chemestry. If he didn't workout, his salary wasn't so large that it was a major hit, if he does, then we got a starter on the cheap.

I still think Castillo is a baller. He isn't playing a position or the type of player who suppose to get to the QB, he's a run stuffer. And the D-Line under Rivera has been making huge improvments in the catagory. I still like costillo and are rooting for him. Maybe that's my homer glasses but I stand by him.

Now I think Clary gets a short stick, we forget he was a essentially a back up last year, and worked his *** off getting to where he is. We didn't spend big picks and we ain't paying him a whole lot. We all knew we needed beef in this year's draft, even Aj said so himself. But there wasn't any worth a first or third round pick when our names came up. So he went for the best player on the board.

Which brings me to my next point. A lot of people have been slamming him for gambling and drafting for need. Well first off I don't think that's the case. We didn't exactly NEED a full back we had Pinnock we went after Hester. But more to the point, up until this year, we all thought we were stacked, so he was trying to find some gems in the rough. I still think it's a good strategy, it's just unfortunate how are team is under performing so much.

And finally I don't know how any of you guys could want brees over Rivers. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy to have brees. But rivers has been making some amazing throws. Never gives up, and keeps fighting to the end. No matter how ****** the calls or who has phoned it in that day. Also that throw to VJ 5 yards from a TD, that he was pushed out, was a PERFECT throw, and VJ had PLENTY of room to bring his foot down in bounds. And the TD pass in the back to VJ was also a great throw that also would have changed the game for us. The falcons just made a play and got him out of bounds.

I do think he could be more aggressive in free agency, but I don't think the Raiders, Broncos, or Cowboys have proven that you can buy a team. I am glad we reward the players who perform for us and earn a spot on the team. I am also glad that we are able to stay under cap and take advantage of young cheap talent.

Also I don't think Norv was the right choice in coaching, but I understand how we got there. I also think that Norv was right to force Rivers to grow up and be able to carry this team. Whoever takes over will be glad Norv turned Rivers into the player he is today.

Anyways, I know this season was beyond disapointing. A real heartbreaker. But I am not throwing the one man who single handly turned this team around. Marty did his part, but AJ built this team.

Here's to '09, Merrimen, a new HC, and with any luck a super bowl title.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Mob mentality is always rampant in these areas.

3. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    The main thing I blame anybody for was loosing Marty. For that I blame the stupid owners who could'nt sit these two in a room and say WTF! How many months out of the year did they really have to talk to eachother? 2 maybe durring draft. The rest of the year they could just walk by eachothers offices without 2 words. These players do not respect or show any fire or heart under Norv. LT and Marty were great toghether. The "Sapnos" family has been screwing up forever. Just like loosing the new stadium deal right were it was originaly planned. Spanos WANTED too much!

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    fo shiz

AJ isn't perfect - I'm not happy with every decision that he's made but he's no Matt Millen - mistakes will happen, the big question is will he learn from them? We shall see....

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Everything we see today in on AJ's hands. Every bit of it.

I have no complaints about any of his draft picks. Just everything else.
    He's the one who felt that it was completely necessary to tear out EVERYTHING Marty built and replace it with his own coaching. That's why he hired a puppet for a HC and a buddy for a DC.

We had a team on it's way to the Super Bowl and now we're on our way back to the Gilbride era 3, 4, maybe 5 wins a season
    That's completely 100% on AJ!!!!

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Its just one guy starting 300 threads, that isnt a mob, is it?

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Tell me about it. I have 4 gallons of the stuff just sitting in my basement. The economy isn't helping either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He did what he thought was best for the team and tried to maintain continuity. So STFU about tearing "everything" marty built. Marty watched his OC and DC take new HC jobs. So instead of promoting Manusky and Chudzinsky to those positions, he let them walk too!!! Then he forced the issue of his brother and made it an untenable situation. Yeah, I'm rehashing it mutherfcuker because you DON'T GET IT.

AJ brought in the coach he felt would offer the best chance for this team to continue playing at a high level. and what happened? Tell me. What happened?

In case you forgot... they nearly went to the superbowl. So STFU and get some fuking sleep already.

We all know where we're at right now and we're all unhappy about it. But your basis for the argument is completely misplaced. Again I urge you... STFU or bring something new.

The next time you have a reasonable take on this issue... will be the first time. Get it?

Here's a solution for you so you can move on... just put this in your signature: "NORV SUCKS and I was the first to tell everyone"

OK? Better now? Just put that in your signature and try to comprehend some of the other aspects of this team that may need to be addressed. I'm trying to be constructive with you here. But this is the last time I'll try. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree with much of this post, especially the "puppet" part.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, nick. AJ ****ed up with the Norv/Cottrell experiment. We all get it. I'm gonna start digesting the draft now.

I don't want AJ gone - just for him & the rest of the FO to step up & make a change. Not now - but right after the season while the pickings are good.

11. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    What he said :tup:

I don't think it's time to start throwing every decision maker out of town for not living up to the expectations built up from last year's good run. But, they do have to show they have learned form what they have done this year:

Did they rely too much on last year's starters?

Should they have been signing players to push harder for starting places or signing backups?

Standing in front of a TV or radio correspondant and admitting they have gone wrong and telling us what they are going to do about it would be a good start.

We need to be told something positive... soon...

But a win on Thursday will help too!

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Some people have to remember that the drafts are a crap shoot. Sometimes you land a winner sometimes they are a bust. That is not on the GM.

Look at the UDFA's that AJ has brought in, look at the overall talent level of the team.

Then you can look at the posts from a select few or one person and realize that they need to do more thinking and less posting of exclimation marks.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

FYI... Syd is a "she" :yes:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This thread needs this post!!! :yes:

FROM GAWD TO FRAUD!!! :yes:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    There's at most two people I'd want Gming my team more then AJ, he's the absolute **** at what he does. He again needs to be smacked around for hiring Norv and Cottrell and be told to work with whomever Spanos picks as the new head coach. But since we are a year away from everyone becoming a free agent, we need to restock this team and fast.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Oh for those who are interested in the GOOD THINGS we have done

1. Found absolute UDFA gems in 2003 like Kassim Osgood, Jacques Cesaire, Stephen Cooper and someguy named Antonio Gates
    2. Picked up a nobody like Steve Foley who fit into this new system like a hand into a well tailored glove
    3. Traded for Keenan McCardell midway in 2004 and he helped us make the playoffs
    4. Traded that little punk named Eli Manning for three pro bowlers (Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding)
    5. Found some big gems in the second day of 2004 like Michael Turner, Shaun Phillips and Ryon Bingham
    6. DID NOT MISS ON A FIRST DAY PICK FROM 2004-2007
    7. Signed LT to a long term extension when everyone expected him to run to the Cowboys in 2004
    8. Signed some other important players to long term extensions like Antonio Gates, Quentin Jammer, Shaun Phillips and Kris Dielman
    9. Acquired Chris Chambers giving us our first real #1 Receiver since......Curtis Conway?

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I support AJ as well.

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I don't understand why you pin the lose of Marty on AJ. It's a well known fact that those two hated each other, but Marty owns at least half of that because his ego is every bit as big as AJ's if not bigger.

It was Deano that kept that dysfunctional couple together, and told them both to get along or else. It was Marty that tried to force feed Deano his brother as DC even after Deano explicitly told him not to. It was Marty that all but admitted that he forced Deano to fire him so that he could look like a victim and still collect on his contract. It was Marty who let all his assistants go after not getting his extension in 2006. It was Marty and Deano that waited until well after the season ended to play this thing out, well after all the strong HC candidates and a bunch of our assistant coaches were locked up by other teams.

Blame AJ for all of that if you want. Hell even blame Norv. Personally, I blame Dean for most of this mess. He's not a football man that keeps getting involved in football decisions. Hell, it's not Norv's fault that we picked him. It's not his fault that he is missing essential ingredients that a person needs to have to be a successful coach. He failed because he should never have been selected in the first place. How much of that can really be his fault, or even AJ's when AJ was left to select the shiniest turd in the punchbowl?

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's a good thing someone else did all the work for you. huh? :lol:

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup::tup::tup:

Two sides to every story!

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You're right in all areas except here. He was offered a one year extension to his current contract. One year after a 14-2 season.

With that said, I don't know why so many people panicked after that playoff loss to the Patriots.
    I was disappointed like everybody else but how were we such spoiled fans before the Marty era? We had a 5-11 season followed by a 1-15 season before he took over. It doesn't take overnight to rebuild from something like that!
    Let's not forget that in that 2006 game, we had no ligitmate #1 receiver since McCardell was out. Plus, we were still a very young and inexperienced team going up against a team thats been there and won it many times!!!

Back to the subject... a one year extension? He's not stupid. Like I've said several times, what they should have said was "get the team deep into the playoffs and we will discuss a new contract in the end of the season." Make a decision then.
    As for letting Cam and Wade go, they were not going to retire as Chargers assistant coaches. That year or the next year, they'd be gone.

BOTTOM LINE... Marty isn't here because AJ didn't like him. Right now, this system is completely built around being AJ's buddy and nothing else!!

22. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Don't blame the FO, blame the players. Now I remember why I avoided this forum so long ago -there was a vicious mentality to take the blame off of the players and place it on Marty. Well guys the players are responsible. Coaches help but really when Nick Hardwick can't block a guy that Nick Hardwick blowing it not Norv Turner. When LT can't find a hole that's the oline blowing it but norv could have helped with a less predictable call. Cromartie getting burned isn't AJ's fault for drafting him but Cro's fault. Ya see. Don't blame AJ Smith. Norv Turner deserves enough blame to warrant his release. But keep in mind in sports it's always got soemthing to do with the athletes.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bullshit. There have been plenty of players called out on this board. stick around & you'll see more.

Certainly the players have a responsibility. They've played like pouty little *****es this year - LT included. Just because some of us refuse to throw a player with a great history as a Charger under the bus doesn't mean that we excuse the players without reservation.

Norv is a crummy HC. The record continues to prove it. AJ knew that record, yet chose to hire him anyway. Ergo, the anger at AJ for making such a decision. Doesn't mean that I don't feel that there are several players who need to go - I've expressed those feelings, too.

Maybe you'd feel more comfortable at a site where the players are alternately trashed/loved from week to week. I would suggest that you try http://profootballxxx.com. Just be sure to wear something that is ****-repellent! :lol:

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Way too simple.

That's why Parcells has taken over losing teams time and time again only to turn them around immediately?????

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Why would I blame Forrest Overin. That dude doesn't even post here. :icon_shrug:

27. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Unbelievable..one injury marred, crummy season where the bulk of the breaks didn't go our way and folks are yelling "off with his head" while running for the lifeboats. Had our roster started this season healthy instead of limping into the season we would probably all be singing a different tune. As I recall, last season a lot of games were saved by timely turnovers caused by the pressure generated by our defense, led by Merriman. This pressure made Cottrell look like he could coach.

The bottom line here is that AJ has made some mistakes, but overall he has made more good moves than bad ones. Because of the disappointing finish awaiting us this season some players will be blown out and the roster will be retooled and the surviving players will have received one hell of a reality check. I hope to see them play hard for the remainder of the 2008 season and come back healthy and focused for 2009. Norv will probably still be on the sidelines as head coach and it looks like Rivera is breathing some life into our defense so my thought is that the 2009 Chargers will look more like the 2007 Chargers than the 2008 Chargers. In case you forgot the 2007 version got within 1 game of the Super Bowl.

Look people...this season is toast and there not much that can be done about that now. We reload in the offseason and come back strong.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    keep AJ, fire Norv

if not, and this team goes sub 500 again in 2009 then fire both

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

And you bought that, huh?

[​IMG]

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Look, just go ahead and replace that skanky whore in your avatar with the this one:
    [​IMG]

(and yeah, I do believe he was doing what he felt was in the best interest of the team. The man wants to win. And if you don't believe that, then replace your pic with AJs so the squirrel can piss on you)