1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Straight from the mouth of AJ Smith...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mapcap55, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Marty and Cam said this same thing earlier this year and still some of you guys didn't believe it...

Well here it is straight from the GM's mouth.

To disbelieve now would be considered blaspemy by some...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word.....................:yes: :tup:

Go Bolts !!!

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    AJ also said this:

“Coaching, in my view, is icing on the cake,” he said. “It's very critical to have sound coaching, and most important is game management on game day.”

and that's been my point all along... Marty ain't no gameday general... and it "sounds like" AJ agrees.... :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Yes, that's why Marty has won more games than only 5 coaches in NFL history, because he's a bad game manager. :icon_huh:

5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It's not worth arguing about. some people just don't like Marty whether he wins or loses. There are some out there that wouldn't like him even if we won it all this year.

I think A.J. hit the nail on the head when he talked about coaches winning with great players. You need championship palyers to win championships. There are some instances where coaching took over (most noticeably the Patriot superbowls) but for the most part it's the players. if we could get a coach that would guarantee a superbowl win i'd say go for it but even Bill Parcells hasn't been able to get a superbowl win in Dallas and he's the closest to a can't miss coach as there is (not taking into consideration Belichick of course)

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That skill becomes most critical when the teams are evenly matched. Playoff games.

29% playoff winning %. That is what is at the root of the issue.

He is 5 and 12.

Now, I will say that he has loosened it up this year. I have not see the typical "Martyball" rear its ugly head since the Baltimore fiasco.

I will give him props for that.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When Marty wins it all, his record will still be a relatively dismal 8 and 12 but he will have a ring to show for it :yes:

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    It is still a big monkey on his back whether he admits it or not.

I will say, with the talent on this team, he better not have ball shrinkage when the playoffs start.

Everything is coming together, but our boy Philip better pull his head out of his *** and stop trying to do dumb things like throw back across the field on the run. From what I have seen so far, he will prolly be kicking his own *** during the film sessions.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Rivers had some bad throws and some good ones as well but the throw across his body for the INT was hideous. It was a stupid throw and I too also think he will kick his own asss over it.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Marty is a great coach, if you don't want him there, who else would you have do his job then???

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That bomb to VJ was a great throw.

12. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +75
    I've never understood you guys' hate for Marty

From an outsider's perspective. I know Marty clams up in some big spots, like not going for the jugular in the Jets playoff game in 2004, but in actuality, you guys have not been in better hands since Don Coryell. I mean, who are you going to get that is any better than Marty??? Belichick?? Parcells?? Not trying to flame, but it is certainly something to ponder. You MAY be able to do better than Marty, but you sure as HE** could do worse!!! If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. That's even if you lose in OT in the AFC Title Game.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Would y'all like a little cheese with your whine, **** fire and save matches, here we are at 12 - 2 and you biitch?? Sure PR didn't have a great game but the Chefs game planned for that boy and our pass blocking was, well in a different time zone, hell they even iso'd an LT wiff that was monkey *** horrible, how many more were there that we didn't see? John Madden even said he didn't understand the blocking scheme and that they needed to change it up because it wasn't working. Cam called a funky game and the line coaches did nothing to help Rivers, yet some folks want to blame Marty and Rivers get a grip.
    Score board baby, even with a horrible passing game we won, our ex QB lost one and I'd bet they aint trying to roast his and the HC's *** in the big easy. :bolt2: :tup: :icon_toast:

14. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I heard Bill Cowher will be out of a job soon... :lol:

15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    There's a big difference between game management and playcalling.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    In the past he would have thrown that ball away. He was just pressing too much too make something happen to get himself out of that funk. That is what worries me. We were winning and no need to force anything or make something happen.