1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Things before the Super Bowl.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Does anybody know what they preformed the "Star Spangled Banner" twice before the Super Bowl?
    First Faith Hill sang it and I wondered why we didn't see any Blue Angels or Stealth Bomber fly over the stadium. Then I went to get something to drink and there's Jennifer Hudson singing "Star Spangled Banner" and the Stealth Bombers flew over afterwards.

I found an article that said Faith actually sang "God Bless America," but I could have swore I heard "Star Spangled Banner" twice. When Jennifer started singing, my friends even said "didn't we just hear this?"
    Did anybody else hear it differently? Just wondering.

Oh... I love hearing Bitter Rodney speak. "This time, the better team will win, unlike last year."
    What a douche bag!!! I hate that piece of garbage!!!

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Faith Hill sang America the Beautiful. :yes:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I know that's what the article read but I just could have swore I heard "Star Spangled Banner" twice and other people claimed to have also.

I don't know. I guess we're used to hearing "Star Spangled Banner", so it seemed like it. :icon_shrug:

Was this the first time both "Star Spangled Banner" and "God Bless America" were both sang before the Super Bowl? To my knowledge, it is.

4. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    YO MAMA :lol::icon_tease:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    America the Beautiful or God Bless America?

Faith Hill began with a beautiful, gospel version of "God Bless America," looking stunning as always with backing from a gospel choir.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013914715

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Faith Hill didn't sing the "Star Spangled Banner" (at least not for this SB).

Almost 100% positive she sang "America the Beautiful" because I remember her singing the purple mountain part of the song. Although she did end the song with God Bless America or something like that.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    OK. I guess I was so programed into "Star Spangled Banner" being played before the Super Bowl that I heard that. :icon_huh:

To your knowledge, was this the first time both "Star Spangled Banner" and "God Bless America" were both sang before the Super Bowl?

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Maybe you heard the announcers mention her singing the "Star Spangled Banner" the year before and just assumed that's what she sang?

I don't remember both being sung before the game, but I usually don't pay that much attention to the pre-game and it could be that they may not show "God Bless America". Although if they've done it before I'm guessing it'd be something started fairly recently (maybe after 9/11) like for Baseball games.

Honestly if I wasn't watching the background where they had the lyrics to the song, I probably wouldn't have remembered.