1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Strategy And Personnel

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers could be getting frustrated with the lack of burst they are seeing from LaDainian Tomlinson. That means Darren Sproles could get some more carries as the Chargers look for a spark for what has been a tepid running game. Also, they could go to more three-receiver sets after the emergence of Malcom Floyd when Chris Chambers was out. With Floyd showing what he can do and Chambers (ankle) expected to play, the Chargers might ditch the running game and start flinging it around to outlast the Saints in a shootout.

PLAYER NOTES

RB LaDainian Tomlinson has but one 100-yard rushing game this season and has gone three games without a touchdown.

TE Antonio Gates could be in for a big game as his hip and toe injuries are getting better. Plus, the last time the Chargers played the Saints he tied a career high with three touchdown catches.

LT Marcus McNeill gave the team a scare last week when he twisted his ankle and had to leave the game. But he later returned and is taking all his reps this week.

P Mike Scifres entered the game ranked second in net punting (42.3 yards) and third in gross punting (48.9).

Despite turning the ball over three times in the loss at Buffalo, QB Philip Rivers remains the NFL’s leading passer with a rating of 108.5. He has completed nearly 64 percent of his passes for 1,697 yards with 16 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Before the season, CB Antonio Cromartie spoke of setting the NFL record with 15 interceptions this year; he led the league with 10 in 2007. If so, he better get busy. He has but two interceptions through seven games and they both came on Sept. 22.

FS Eric Weddle leads the team with 20 tackles over the last two games.

Game Plan: It has been spotted but on rare occasions, but the Chargers need to rediscover what was once one of the most powerful running games in the league. The Chargers should pound the ball—it’s up to them how successful they are—and keep the ball away from Saints quarterback Drew Brees. If they can run—and score—and keep Brees on the sidelines, it lessens the changes of him getting to pick apart a pass defense that is being battered like a low-hanging pinata.

Matchups To Watch: Chargers pass defense and a weak pass rush vs. the Saints high-octane passing game. The Chargers couldn’t as so much lay a hand on Trent Edwards last week and he torched them right out of Western New York. Somehow the Chargers need to find a pass rush or any quarterback—but especially one as accurate and hell-bent on revenge as Drew Brees—will tear them up. The Chargers are dead last in defending the pass and that ranking is no mistake. The Chargers’ task gets tougher with WR Marques Colston back in the lineup; they catch a break with Reggie Bush (knee) being out. The trouble for the Chargers’ pass rushers—they do have some, don’t they?—is that the Saints offensive line is stout and takes protecting Brees seriously. What’s scary is while the Chargers are ranked last in defending the pass, the Saints are ranked first in passing.

The Chargers running game, which has been inconsistent, vs. Saints run defense, which is ranked 16th but got pushed around a bit in last week’s loss to the Panthers. The Chargers know it—so does everyone knowing football: If the Chargers can’t run the ball, they are fooling themselves in thinking they are an elite team. This didn’t figure to be a problem with the great LaDainian Tomlinson but Tomlinson hasn’t run like he used to—he still has an injured big toe—and the run blocking has been shaky. The Saints, though, gave up 143 rushing yards last Sunday, although before that it kept teams right around 80 rushing yards per game. This will be a key part of the game if the Chargers want.

Chargers run defense, with inside linebackers Stephen Cooper and Tim Dobbins, vs. a Saints running game missing Reggie Bush. The Chargers’ run defense hasn’t been terrible—in fact it has shown signs of coming on of late. But the key is when it absolutely has to stop a team and get off the field—like when needing the ball back when trailing—it hasn’t been able to get that big stop. Cooper and Dobbins have brought some life into the run defense after they were recently inserted into the run defense. But this might not play into the Chargers hands, with Bush being out, because they will face a more smash-mouth type of running attack from Deuce McAllister, Aaron Stecker and Pierre Thomas. The Chargers’ 3-4 alignment means their linebackers are more quick than beefy, which translates into being able to move more to track down speedy runners like Bush. Instead, they must prove Sunday that they can stick their nose in the gap and take runners more likely to run through them than around them.

Injury Impact: OLB Jyles Tucker (hamstring) was limited in his Wednesday work. How he feels on Thursday could determine if he plays Sunday. Marques Harris would replace him if he can’t go.

WR Chris Chambers (ankle) did some work, but was limited. He will also be looked at closely; if he can’t go Malcom Floyd gets the start opposite Vincent Jackson. Chambers has missed the past two games.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson (toe) didn’t practice, in what is becoming a regular part of his work week. Tomlinson will play Sunday but his toe is worth watching.

WR Buster Davis (groin) didn’t practice and the team is not counting on him for Sunday.

2. Binary Bolt Fan

Binary Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Just watched NFL replay of the game over lunch... In the final drive that resulted in Rivers 1st red zone INT, LT ran off left tackle for five yards and then ran right for 8 on consecutive plays. Norv took one look at that and passed on every down after that... WTF?

This week, its time to re establish the running game. Give LT the damn ball and block for him!! We've got to keep Brees' chances to a minimum.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    So what quarter was that? When we trying to come from behind in desperation or what? It's easy to screw thing's from a game into your prospective.:icon_huh: :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

4. Binary Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +3
    It was on the 2nd to last drive that ended with Rivers first ever red-zone interception.

If you remember, the Chargers downed the punt at the goal line and forced a punt a handful of plays later. On first down, LT ran between McNeil and Dielman for 5. On second down, LT ran off right tackle for about 7 or 8 yards. On the next 1st down, Buffalo blitzed and forced an incomplete throw. The only time LT touched the ball again was on a swing pass to the left flat.

But for some reason, Norv chose to throw it the rest of the way until Rivers, on first down, tried to force a throw to Gates who was covered like a blanket.

...and in the drive before, Rivers threw an out to Sproles, who couldn't out run a LBer to make it around the left corner for the 4 yards needed. That is when Norv punted from the Bills 30-something on 4th and one. (Sproles was caught by same guy that intercepted Rivers on the following series)

LT was getting it done, but Norv had Rivers go elsewhere... least, that's what I saw.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Due too balloon interference I didn't see the 2nd qtr. I don't record the game nor do I re-watch it. I just know I seen LT struggling, and many other seen the same thing. Could we have won, yes. Even Philip came out and took the loss on his back, 3 turnovers is a bad thing in game, but he shouldered it.

I do believe our team grew a little bit from that game, only time will tell but i think we'll see a run start this weekend.

6. Binary Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +3
    The series I was referring to was in the 4th quarter, around the 4-5 minute mark...

But yea, I don't know if I share your confidence about this team learning much. They are wildly inconsistent and can't seem to pressure the QB. We Charger fans who visit other teams forums desperately need our D to hold down Drew. I'm sick of hearing that we gave away a great QB for a rag armed punk. Philip IS the man and I insist other team's fans learn that!! :yes:

7. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    If these 2 get back to their old selves, we will win this game BIG TIME