1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Strong finishes are great, but ... team knows it needs faster starts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    They all agreed it was a good victory. By any means, at this point.
    But with two East Coast games, a home game against the New England Patriots and a game overseas all coming in the next month, it may be time to get some things done sooner in games.

“We do need to start faster,” LaDainian Tomlinson said Monday, a day after the Chargers overcame a 15-0 halftime deficit to win 28-18 at Oakland. “We need to really put a complete game together. We have yet to do that – offensively, defensively, special teams, four quarters. The great thing is we can say we haven't done that. That's what we're obviously working toward. This next month is going to be tough ... so we're going to have to put a complete game together somewhere in this next month.”

Head coach Norv Turner called Sunday as close to a complete game as the team has had and went as far as to say it was “one of the best wins we've had as a football team since I've been here.”
    His conclusion was based on the comeback and that it came against a Raiders defense that presented the Chargers' stiffest, most physical challenge this season.
    But there is a troubling trend afoot for the Chargers.

They are a better second-half team, by far, on both offense and defense. Even their kickoff coverage improved at Oakland – after allowing a 39-yard return to open the game.
    “I don't know if there is any magic to the process or mind-set of as far as starting the game,” Philip Rivers said. “But we've got to come out and get in a rhythm early.”

The 25 points the Chargers scored in the fourth quarter is the most they have scored in the fourth quarter in at least 40 years.
    Credit Tomlinson and Rivers and Antonio Gates and the rest of the offense.
    But mostly credit the defense.

After starting at their own 5-yard line on two of their first four drives and never even crossing midfield until late in the second quarter, the Chargers had to drive a total of just 63 yards for their final 17 points.
    Their final five drives began at their 34, the Oakland 13, the 50, the Oakland 35 and the Oakland 44. Those drives produced three touchdowns and a field goal, with the other ending on a missed field goal.

“When you're jogging out at the 50-yard line you have a different feel,” Rivers said. “ . . . You're not backed into the corner. It was huge. Our defense, you can't say enough about those guys.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's on the coaches to make sure that the players are focused, prepared, & ready at game time.

So far I still don't get a real sense of emotion & commitment for the full 60 minutes. Someone needs to light a fire under these guys.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I have to admit, I was cringing for you guys as the crawl showed your score during the first half.

It all ended well, though.

A faster start will become necessary if you hope to keep your winning ways. There are teams out there that won't be so quick to relinquish a lead.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you only need one quarter of Football to beat the Raiders!

And its getting old when it seems like it is always the last one :icon_rofl:

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I have a hard time believing that you were rooting for us to win.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    It reminded me of that Tennessee game last year, when we were down 17-3 in the fourth quarter.

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Good comparison, I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Tennessee was a better team, and they're even tougher this year. If we see them again, it will be a very good thing. Our schemes are predictable going in. I can but hope that they are setting people up later in the season, but digging out of holes week after week is no way to get the Lombardi.

• Like Like x 1