1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck in a F22

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SDRaiderH8er, Aug 25, 2007.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    [​IMG]

The Self-Locking F-22

By ROBERT BRYCE

Last week, Lockheed Martin announced that its profits were up a hefty 60 percent in the first quarter. The company earned $591 million in profit on revenues of $9.2 billion. Now, if the company could just figure out how to put a door handle on its new $361 million F-22 fighter, its prospects would really soar.

On April 10, at Langley Air Force Base, an F-22 pilot, Capt. Brad Spears, was locked inside the cockpit of his aircraft for five hours. No one in the U.S. Air Force or from Lockheed Martin could figure out how to open the aircraft's canopy. At about 1:15 pm , chainsaw-wielding firefighters from the 1st Fighter Wing finally extracted Spears after they cut through the F-22's three-quarter inch-thick polycarbonate canopy.

Total damage to the airplane, according to sources inside the Pentagon: $1.28 million. Not only did the firefighters ruin the canopy, which cost $286,000, they also scuffed the coating on the airplane's skin which will cost about $1 million to replace.

[​IMG]

The Pentagon currently plans to buy 181 copies of the F-22 from Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest weapons vendor. The total price tag : $65.4 billion.

The incident at Langley has many Pentagon watchers shaking their heads. Tom Christie, the former director of testing and evaluation for the DOD, calls the F-22 incident at Langley "incredible." "God knows what'll happen next," said Christie, who points out that the F-22 has about two million lines of code in its software system. "This thing is so software intensive. You can't check out every line of code."

Now, just for the sake of comparison, Windows XP, one of the most common computer operating systems, contains about 45 million lines of code. But if any of that code fails, then the computer that's running it simply stops working. It won't cause that computer to fall out of the sky. If any of the F-22's two million lines of computer code go bad, then the pilot can die, or, perhaps, just get trapped in the cockpit.

One analyst inside the Pentagon who has followed the F-22 for years said that "Everyone's incredulous. They're asking can this really have happened?" As for Lockheed Martin, the source said, "Whatever the problem was, the people who built it should know how to open the canopy."

Given that the U.S. military is Lockheed Martin's biggest client, perhaps the company could provide the Air Force with a supply of slim jims or coat hangers, just in case another F-22 pilot gets stuck at the controls.

As if the latest canopy shenanigans weren't bad enough, on May 1, Defense News reported that there are serious structural problems with the F-22. Seems the titanium hull of the aircraft isn't meshing as well as it should. Naturally, taxpayers have to foot the bill for the mistake (improper heat-treating of the titanium) which is found on 90 aircraft. The cost of repairing those wrinkles? Another $1 billion or so.

Lockheed Martin's F-22 spokesman, Joe Quimby, did not return telephone calls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The raptor is one hell of a plane, but it is much more cost effective to order 10 f-16 instead of 1 f-22. Who in the hell are we going to fight with a plane as advanced as the 22?

Anyone else it is like using an X-wing against a bi-plane....

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    It’s all in the name of Air Superiority. And who wants to own it.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    yeah, but using a f-22 against any foreign power now is like using a cadalac to swat a fly.

But they are an awesome plane, but ungodly expensive....

Still love the f-18 and f-20 though...

5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And that Pilot does not look to be a happy camper.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He probably has to go pittle....:lol:

one time when I flew into St. Louis, the pilot pointed out an F-15 arse up, burried in the mud at the end of the runway up to the canopy. Radar obviously hosed...

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    He has a Plastic bag with a sponge inside it.

Now if you have to go.........................

now we have a problem

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    As a software validation engineer it pisses me off to see people using the excuse that you cant review every line of software. BULL ****!

If the software is modular you check each module and test the interactions of the modules.

You also conduct a risk assessment on the code and validate/verify the more critical features of the software.

It is called the cost of quality. You find the bugs early and it is FAR more cost effective than waiting until some poor shmuck is locked in a billion dollar plane because some lazy assed engiuneer sold you a sorry excuse that their software is too big to check out...

GRRRR.... Crap like that has killed too many people because medical device manufacturers also play that game from time to time. They are getting better though...

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That is an amazing plane!

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    beautiful plane.

and fast... beats a 15 that is on afterburners!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :lol:

Somebody really fuced up.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    It could of been a "made on Friday" Plane

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes: True dat!

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What is this we are seeing? The payloads bays?

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the Bomb Bay, all weapons are carried inside

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thought so.

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

They do that for "First Strike” capabilities. When you start hanging stuff off the wings, your Radar Signature grows tremendously. They spent a lot of money trying to keep it with a very small Signature. And a First Strike capability, these are the guys that go into the Country first, and take Radar, Communications, and Headquarters out first.

When they first went into Iraq, during Desert Storm. The F117’s were first into Country. A half hour later, they started to send in giant waves of Airplanes, The F117’s were all ready on Target; they just waited for the Iraqi’s to start firing up all their Equipment. The F117’s just locked on those targets, and took them out before they even knew what hit them.

That is First Strike Capability.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh I know, I love the internal capacity of the plane, and I understand anything on the wing makes for a huge radar signature.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    What's the armament?? :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :flag:

27. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The F-117 proved that having a plane which the enemy couldn't counter saves pilots lives, and gives the US a platform to do things other countries don't expect and can't counter.

This plane takes those principles to the next level.

I'm all for having more firepower with a lower threat to our own servicemen. If it costs more, then so be it.

I agree with you here. One of the principle jobs my Dad did while working for DoD was software verification in Navy jets. The plane probably needed more time in testing, and now the bugs are showing. They'll get them all worked out.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    That F-22 is a bad looking machine, but what a major snafu.

Give me an F-14 loaded up. Always my fav plane.

300 Mile standoff. **** be falling out of the sky and the pilot is already on the ground tossing back his first beer.

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I have spent several months working on F14's. And my job as a mechanic was to help get them ready for flight.

They were too much labor intensive.

• Like Like x 1
  30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    My fav is always gonna be the F-4, jes cuz I called in airstrikes with this A/C for CAS.

Gotta add the A1-E; that bird'll take a lickin and keep on tickin, plus they have longer station time.

Plus a big up to the choppers that came and pulled me and my boys outta harm's way.