1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stuckey back on field

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    By Kevin Acee
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 2 p.m.

Darrell Stuckey was expected to challenge for playing time and perhaps even start in some packages at strong safety after a solid spring and start to training camp.

But the Chargers’ fourth-round pick suffered a groin injury a little more than a week into camp, missed almost two weeks and was never able to fully catch up once he returned.

He was inactive the first two games and played only on kickoff coverage at Seattle before re-injuring his groin in practice the next week. He practiced for the first time again on Nov. 3.

Now, as his rookie season threatens to pass him by, Stuckey gets a possible new life during the bye. With no game to specifically prepare for, teams can give starters rest and coach up younger players and other reserves during an off week. The Chargers are using five practices (this past Tuesday through Thursday, next Monday and Wednesday) to work on corrections and give players such as Stuckey, Vaughn Martin and Cam Thomas more reps.

“I got out and got a little comfortable,” Stuckey said of his work this week. “It’s obvious I’m more comfortable with the defense ... It’s being confident, actually making calls and communicating better.”
    Said head coach Norv Turner: “He’s a guy that can run and makes plays ... It’s all inexperience (that has limited him).”
    It is unlikely if the other safeties remain healthy that Stuckey will get much, if any, time on defense this season. But he could get back active in order to cover kicks.

“I want to play as much as anybody,” Stuckey said. “You learn to be patient. There’s going to be opportunity for me to go out there.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, I almost forgot about this guy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    His last action was kick off coverage at Seattle...eehhh...:eyepoke:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He can't do any worse than any worse than some of the jokers we've had out there so far.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I want to see Butler! I was so excited to see him this season but he got injured in training camp :(

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    maybe something good will happen

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Come on Stuckey...get in the game brother! We wanna see what you can do!

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    This could be a blessing for the Chargers...Stuckey will be tht eager to break back into the team and enhance his reputation with the coaches...that he will go all out on special teams for the rest of the year! He could be demon coverage guy on ST. Can`t wait to see him.

10. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    he's a high character guy...

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    He's been hidden on the 53 all this time?, inactive every sunday?. Wow. He needs to come in and show us what he's got bigtime.

12. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    We've gotten very, very little from this draft class and the ole "they're rookies" excuse is wearing thin. Rookies make an impact league wide every year, no reason this team has to be the exception to the rule. But man, Mathews, Stuckey, Butler - all injured. And Cam Thomas is not exactly tearing up the league in a fairly easy position to migrate from college to the NFL.

Hopefully they'll be healthy and can step up next season, if there is a season.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    What lead you to believe this? Maybe NT in a standard 4-3 is an easily translatable position, but 3-4 NT is a horse of a far, far different color. Most of even the highly-drafted 3-4 NT's take a minimum of one year to make the transition to being able to be that anchor, such was the case with Raji, Wilfork, Hampton, you name it. Sure, Torrell Troup has been in Buffalo's starting lineup but that's because they have no depth at the position whatsoever - it's why they reached on Troup a good half-plus round early. And have you seen Buffalo's run-defense? It's near the bottom of the league. Granted, most of the highly-touted 3-4 NT prospects do see the field a fair amount as rookies, but that's playing the 5-Technique as they "grow into" the NT position and playing in a 3-man front and the role that's expected of them in such. And the reason those guys tend to be drafted higher is because they have the tools to succeed as a suitable 5-Tech on the strongside until such time as they're able to transition to the nose (again, Hampton, Wilfork, Raji all did this as rookies).

Being that Thomas wasn't one of those highly touted prospects but rather one of the middle-of-the-road ones, it seems a tad naive to expect him to step in Day One or even year one against guys that are by and large proportionately larger, stronger, and better than the vast majority of the interior linemen he faced in college and just "get it done". NT as much as anything in a 3-4 is a learning process (probably equal to if only slightly lesser of a total learning process than the transition from collegiate DE to 3-4 Rush LB).

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Where do you get this information ?

When I read fans using technical football jargon, I like to make sure the proverbial wool is not being pulled over the fans eyes.

Line play is the EASIEST position to learn and has the flatest learning curve of any position with the exception of kickers and punters. Line play is MONGO football.

Linemen learn 9 techniques (0-9) and can either handle one or two gaps. That is all.

Why would a 3-4 nose tackle be relegated to a "5" technique which effectively lines him up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle while growing into playing, when he should be playing a 0 or 1 technique which lines him over the center or guard ? The parallel of a 43 LB playing a 34 DE spot are worlds apart in learning curves to a 34 NT.

15. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

First, no, 3-4 DT has one task: tie up, and clog up. Not a huge technique job, far more about athleticism and strength. And Cam Thomas fell, he was highly regarded for awhile. Besides, 3-4 DE's aren't much different, they're responsibilities are similar and we can't get much out of him there either.

Regardless, this is a Charger trend - unproductive roookie classes. Either we're drafting raw, we're snakebit as to injuries, or we're not coaching them up quickly. Or the HC has a thing against rooks.

I dunno. I just know I see rooks making an impact all over the NFL map annually, but not here.