1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Stuckey, Epps sign contracts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 38 minutes ago
    6-24-2010

Safety, tight end become second and third draft picks to sign contracts.

SAN DIEGO – It’s been two months since Darrell Stuckey[​IMG] became a Charger.
    He’s practiced with the team for weeks, worked out at Chargers Park every day and lived in a hotel with the rookies. He has his own number: 36.
    But he never quite felt like San Diego was his team until he signed a four-year contract Thursday.
    “To get that out of the way, it’s breathtaking,” said Stuckey, the team’s fourth-round draft selection. “I feel like I’m part of the organization and now I get to work without mentally, in the back of my (mind), worrying about if I’m a part of the organization yet or not.
    “It’s a blessing to be a part of an organization as great as this one.”
    Tight end Dedrick Epps[​IMG] also signed a four-year contract Thursday. Epps was not available for comment.
    The strong safety and tight end become the second and third of six San Diego draft choices to sign a contract.
    Lauded for his athleticism, draft analysts saw Stuckey as an impact player provided he grasps the defensive scheme and understands how to channel his physical tools.
    He and Steve Gregory[​IMG] are the only players on the roster listed at that position. That means he’ll get plenty of reps during training camp. He looks forward to forging deeper bonds with his teammates during that time.
    “That’s where you find out the strengths and weaknesses of the team and you exploit those weaknesses and make them advantages,” Stuckey said. “Iron sharpens iron. You go against the best every day and it makes you a better player.”
    Stuckey made a combined 190 tackles his final two seasons at Kansas along with six interceptions and one sack.
    Epps, a seventh-round pick, caught 19 passes for 247 yards and three touchdowns as a senior at Miami.

[​IMG]

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Epps? Signed to a four year contract? I'm surprised, but maybe that means he's been impressing lately and will be useful come September (or perhaps just august for the next four years).

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    That 4 yr. contract doesn't mean much.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Glad were getting both epps and especially stuckey with us early. So they can get some extra time and reps. Stuckey down the road in the season this year will probably get more playing time and eventually be our other saftey. Epps is insurance with gates's foot and contract negotians.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yeah I don't get it. Contracts in the NFL are not worth a damn. All that matters is the upfront moolah. In soccer the contract is gold. We regularly see guys rotting on the bench/in the stands for yrs getting paid 50K dollars a week.

One team in the UK was still paying a guy 3 years after he had left them to play for another club.

6. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I think I know who you are talking about. Thanks for reminding me

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    stuckey is a beast at coverage, but can anybody find him laying a big hit,or coming in for run support beside the chase daniel play

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Ha ha was wondering would u notice!!!.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Texas Rangers still owe A-Rod like $20mil from the contract he signed with them nearly 10 years ago.

Although I do wish contracts were based on performance, that just sin't happening. But what I do think is that there is a double standard with the current NFL contract setup. Players look like crap when they want more than their contract is worth, but the teams don't have to do anything. But if the player plays under their dalary, the teams can just dump them when ever they want and void the remainder of the contract. IMO, bth sides need to be held to the contract that they sign. If a player is signed to a 5 year deal, both the player and team should be required to uphold their end of the 5 year deal. The player holding out for a bigger contract, and the teams releasing a player early shouldn't be allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Tight end Dedrick Epps also signed a four-year contract Thursday. Epps was not available for comment.
    The strong safety and tight end become the second and third of six San Diego draft choices to sign a contract. :abq2::abq1:
    [​IMG]

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I take it then that the baseball contracts are tighter than the football contracts i.e. baseball contracts need to be honoured. I didn't know that I assumed they were as much of a joke.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, many baseball contracts are a joke. But at least their rookies have to earn their way into the bigs and have to earn their big contracts, unlike football where there punk kids come out of college millionaires without stepping foot on the field.

Obviously, both sports have their problems. It is a shame they can't find a way to be paid strictly by performance like Golf, but then again, Golf isn't a team sport. So I don't know what the answer is.