1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs and Duds, Bills get Corraled

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 21, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Studs

Corey Liuget - game we were waiting for, very good!
    Brandon Flowers - I can't remember when the team had a real #1 CB last
    Dwight Freeney - even if it's one a game he's making an impact
    Philip Rivers - The Captain does whatever a Captain can
    Malcolm Floyd - # Catches matter less than the impact of them
    Nick Novak - Man alive is he good.
    Danny Woodhead - Love for him, hope for a speedy recovery.
    Eric Weddle - you better fear the beard
    The team - they needed to show not only consistency but to finally beat a team they should have.

Middle Ground

Donald Brown - It's not like he was playing against a cupcake team but just did whatever he could. Which wasn't much.
    Fluker/Dunlap - Again did pretty well against good pass rushers but little to no push in the run game.

Duds

Johnnie Troutman - for the love of all that is holy get him the hell out of the line up!
    Mike Scifres - Doesn't happen much but a year's worth of touchbacks in one game
    Shareece Wright - the negatives are really outweighing the positive
    Kendall Reyes - the defensive equivalent of Johnnie Troutman
    The entire ILB Corps - since the Arizona game they've been atrocious

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Reyes had two huge third down plays. A tackle for loss on third and short that forced 4th down, and a sack on 3rd down to force a punt. Both plays were huge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Studs
    Liuget
    Verrett - Steady and consistent as any player we have on the whole roster.
    Flowers
    Weddle
    Reyes - Had a 2 or 3 huge plays, probably his first real positive plays of the season.
    Rivers
    Fluker - Did a job vs Mario Williams
    Royal

Middle Ground
    Keenan Allen - I'm not sure if he's not getting open or if he's just getting doubled, I'll have to watch again.
    Wright - Had good plays, had bad ones.

Duds
    None really. If I had one complaint is was play calling at the end of the game, or "prevent offense", you can't give better teams 4 and 5 offensive possessions in the 4th quarter or you will lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 5m
    Brandon Flowers says the secondary feels like they have three No. 1 CBs in Shareece Wright, Jason Verrett and Flowers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Lol, Shareece Wright is nothing even close to a #1. On most teams he barely cracks a #2. And to be honest it looks more, and more like each week that is slipping away here in San Diego.

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Wright had a poor game after I lauded his ability to provide support against the run and tackle receivers out of the backfield. Spiller and Jackson burned him off the edge...I think Verrett deserves the starting CB spot over Wright at this point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Wright had a poor game and now you want Verrett to start instead of Flowers????:devilish:

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Obvious Typo...on a 30-hour no-sleep-a-thon >_<. Flowers, in his first game starting as an outside CB in over a season, was sensational.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm not sold on Wright either, I wouldn't mind if he got lost on the way to the stadium next week. Having said that I don't want to see Williams or Marshall on the field any more than Wright.

I think Verrett shows signs of potential greatness. I know we always hope our rookies who are playing well are going to be great, but everything I saw in him do in college he's doing now in the NFL. It just looks easy for him.

Flowers, when used properly, is a legit #1 CB. JMO. I've always respected the guy, he was my guy back in the 2008 draft when we drafted Cason instead. And I was pissed to see him becoming an excellent player in KC.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Duds - All Bolt fan head coaches who talk out their backside after a very good win.

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Studs - Chargers All of them, they got the win.

Duds - Billz Corraled? More like:

CircledWagons.gif

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Some players will take flack no matter how they play. Bills WRs had a grand total of 7 catches for 49 yards. That's the same number of yards that Malcolm Floyd had on the Chargers first pass of the game. The primary job of a CB is to cover wide receivers. Hard to see how Wright could have played so atrociously if the Bills WRs couldn't top 50 yards combined.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Phew... for a minute I thought you hadn't noticed. Donald Butler is not trying for me, going thru the motions. Joe Barry needs to light a firecracker to his ***.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Studs - Donald Brown... no room to run but boy did he man up. Thought Stangel had it so right on Twitter when near the end of Q3 he tweeted "Donald Brown has just gone over 100 rushing attempts for the day", it felt like that. Brown earnt his 3 year deal in 1 game.

LaDarius Green, throw it his way and he catches it. Great to see him involved. I can only assume Gates was hobbled somewhat as he was v quiet. M80, was great to see him get the bombs.

The secondary - Weddle was everywhere and I loved what I saw from Flowers. I'm not gona bash on Wright today. The 3 corners are the best 3 we've had, maybe ever.

Liuget, a man among his boy teammate D linemen.

Novak - how was this guy bumping from team to team those years?, talk about a guy who has worked on his craft and become really really good at it.

I thought Dunlap and Fluker did OK.

Duds - the interior of the O line (see Donald Brown above)

Donald Butler (no point in referencing Te'o as one could almost include him here weekly). These 2 need to be told shape up or get the F out. Conner is probably better than both of them the way they are not playing.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Both of these guys are very soft up the middle making for a weak underbelly on the defense. Early on I saw the kid Attaochu making a hit in the Bills backfield then never seen him again. Liuget showed up to play and Reyes put some finishing touches on. Costly win for the Bolts though but as they say, "Next man up".

16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    there mis casting attachou, with ingram out id slide him into ingrams spot and turn him loose, the kid can play and has a huge chance at giving the bolts a dominant pass rusher we havent had since merriman. Now with that said hes not just gonna do it over night, but i do think they need to start him and let freeney be situational. Freeneys body needs the rest, hes a valuable piece, and we'll need him in the playoffs.
    Also i dont get this play calling , ka13 was only targeted twice today, i want to see alil more play calling for ka13

17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Don't really have much to add to the above, you guys are spot on.
    Studs and duds is my fav post-game read.
    (fear the beard? prevent offense? hilarious!)

18. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Studs

OC Frank Reich – Called a good offensive game, it was good to see Ladarius Green involved more, and our offense stay balanced even after an early & devastating injury.

Philip Rivers – Very efficient game, 2 touchdowns & no picks, and more timely running.

“The Beard” – If Monday Night Football still ran that feature “Jacked Up!”, his vicious hit would’ve definitely been included in tonite’s montage.

Nick “The Kick” Novak – He’s only 2 FGs without a miss away from becoming, dare I say, “the most accurate kicker in Chargers history”. Considering some of the kickers we’ve had through the years (Benirschke, Carney & Kaeding) that would be quite an accomplishment but even if he shanks one between now & then, it appears as if this well traveled veteran has finally found a permanent home.

Corey Liuget - He lived in Buffalo’s backfield, garnering a sack & forced fumble.

Malcom Floyd – Welcome back, M80! You’re now the consistent deep threat we haven’t had since VJ left.

Brandon Flowers – Looking like a prime free agent pickup for us!

O-Line – 2nd game in a row with only 1 sack of Philip.

Dwight Freeney – played linebacker in place of the injured Melvin Ingram, shared a sack with Manti Te’o.

Middle Ground

DC John Pagano – Our defense shut down Buffalo, holding them to 42% in 3rd down efficiency, stopping both 4th down attempts and scoring a safety. Lack of turnovers is a concern, and could hurt us against the better teams coming up. We’re 1 of 5 NFL teams yet to snag an interception through 3 games (KC, Miami, New Orleans & Pittsburgh are the others)

Mike Scifres – 3 touchbacks this year and 5 on the season after only 1 all last year, although 1 of those punts nearly rolled out of bounds at the 1 yard line yesterday and there was that 72 yard punt, that was 1 touchback that I really didn’t mind as much.

Duds – None

Get well soon Danny, we’ll see you next year! :(

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    attachou was limited by a bad hammy. he barely played.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Studs:
    Blue Bolt for making all the awesome gameday images that get us ready for the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Now we’re 1 of 6 – the Jets have also yet to intercept a pass through 3 regular season games.

22. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i know, but im saying while ingram is out lets start him

23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    @ant

I was sitting very close to where a couple of those touchbacks occurred. The wind gusts were extremely tricky and despite this they were pretty darn close. Naming Scifres as a Dud shows how fine the measures can be on this board.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Well you have a good point, one that has been touched on before. Even though we can see the flags whipping it was not until I started watching the replay and saw the clothes almost ripped from the two referees behind the goal post that the wind element was translated to me as an at home watcher. The fan at the live event will always have information or know of conditions the fan at home do not.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I get what you were saying, but it's hard to say they are miscasting Attachou when he barely played.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Scifres said it was the worst wind he's ever punted in.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I can believe it, the refs clothes were flapping like they were sky diving.

28. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    teo is the 9th best rated inside linebacker through 3 games by pff

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I re-watched Sunday's game last night, and Manti was killing it. He was all over the field. He even looked effective blitzing. On the play where Freeney got his sack, Manti blitzed up the middle, blew up the RB trying to block him and force Manuel out of the pocket which lead to Freeney's sack.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I thought so too.