1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs and Duds.... Chargers ground and pound the Jest

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 5, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Sorry for the delay, had Indian food for dinner and had to take a wicked Geno Smith in the bathroom.

Studs
    The Chargers: You shut out a team and beat them bloody, yeah that'll do.

Middle Ground
    No one

Duds
    The Jets: Oh dear God was that pathetic. Brandon Oliver and John Pagano give ZERO fucks about your team.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Studs:
    Branden Oliver is the MVP of the game. No one expected much from him and he kept the Jets D off balance for quite some time.
    Philip Rivers, anyone need to know why? This guy is on track to beat Brady's unanimous MVP season numbers.
    The D. They strangled the Jets.

Duds.
    A defensive pass interference call that did not happen. I get it, cant have a shut out but it still didnt work.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    OK OK OK I'll try and fix it

Studs
    Philip Rivers: Yeah all he does is win and win big
    Brandon Oliver: Maybe it was Donald Brown after all?
    John Pagano: It didn't matter who was out there, he ran a damn near perfect game
    Antonio Gates: Next DC who covers him with one person deserves their *** kicked.
    Ricardo Matthews: I'm starting to realize that he might be a hell of a find
    Brandon Flowers: Yeah you might want to sign him to an extension.....now.
    Jarrett Johnson: Every bit as dominant as he's ever been.
    Frank Reich: Nearly perfect gameplan

Middle Ground:
    Doug Legursky: He actually played MUCH better than he did last week, and now he's out for the year (likely).

Duds
    Geno Smith/Michael Vick: yeah the Chargers defense gives exactly zero fucks who is out there
    Chargers OGs: All of them played atrociously and of them only Watt gets a potential mulligan
    Donald Brown: I hate kicking a guy when he's down but I really wonder if the bad running game is partially his fault
    The Injury Bug: goddamnit ENOUGH ALREADY!

• Like Like x 1
  4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Studs
    Rivers-I've never seen someone be so accurate while a 300 pound man is latched ahold of you.

Branden Oliver -I swear lt had someone clone him sproles and butts and made Oliver, he's such and animal.

The whole secondary- they blanketed everyone

Ricardo Matthews- he got a lot of pressure today.

Middle ground-
    Donald butler- over pursued alil but definitely didn't seem like himself.

Keenan Allen- didn't see the fire like I did last week.

Duds- Donald brown- had only 1 run worth talking about.

The whole o line-played like girlsgirls

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Studs - Everyone not named Troutman.

Dude - Everyone named Troutman.

6. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Here's hoping the Jets are flying "Air Calcutta" back to Newark.

Studs
    Rivers
    O-Line
    Defense
    Oliver
    Gates (props to Green for a great catch that was wiped out by a penalty - like to see more of that)

Duds
    No one - we kicked the sh*t out of Rexy and F*ckin' Jets~

7. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Studs:
    Branden Oliver. His pass blocking was even more impressive then his huge gains. Really great game for him.
    Contain on QB's who can run was consistent
    Interior penetration on the Dline was very solid all game.

Duds:
    Watt 2 penalties and a big whiff on a block that caused a TFL.
    Official on the far side of the field throwing like 5 total flags he had no way of seeing good enough to make the call.

Obv the whole team did good but these stood out to me didn't feel the need to list the usual suspects.

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Studs

HC Mike McCoy – I’m liking the preparation & the “killer instinct” I’m seeing from this team, and especially the resilience in the face of mounting injuries.

DC John Pagano – Dominating shutout performance, shut down the Jets ground attack and made Geno Smith & Mike Vick both look like befuddled rookies.

OC Frank Reich – How many 90+ yard scoring drives did we have today? We keep losing people to injury, but our offense isn’t skipping a beat.

Branden Oliver – Breakout game for the undrafted rookie, 182 total yards & 2 scores, he may have just supplanted Donald Brown as our top running back until Ryan Mathews returns.

Philip Rivers – 25th consecutive game with a TD pass, continues to play at an NFL MVP level.

Brandon Flowers – The savvy vet gets his 2nd pick in as many weeks, a great mentor for our top draft pick.

Antonio Gates – Another impressive game, what else is new? 4 receptions for 60 yards & 2 touchdowns, it’s a shame he’ll have to even wait for 5 years after his final season to be enshrined into Canton.

Malcom Floyd – Another 49 yard reception, his ability to stretch the field & his chemistry with Rivers makes our offense pretty tough to defend against.

Ricardo Mathews – Forced a much needed fumble and got us the ball back in the red zone on the first play after Philip’s interception.

Middle Ground

Chris Watt – Almost got a “Dud” for his penalty that wiped out a Ladarius Green touchdown reception before Gates saved him by getting into the end zone anyway, and he added another penalty to boot but he did finish the game at center without incident after Doug Legursky went out.

Duds - None

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Best game I've ever attended

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    For the Jets...it was obvious that Geno Smith was the problem. I think Vick doubled the offensive production in the second half. :laugh:

G Smith: 4/12 27 yrds 0/1
    Vick 8/19 47 yards 0/0..most of the yards came during garbage time!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    glad you enjoyed Leo!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the only dud I have is the injury bug. That sucker keeps hitting our oline!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I agree with everyone whose already been mentioned, but I also feel like Ajirotutu deserves some credit. I think he had one reception that was for a first down, but his tackles on special teams were awesome!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Dud- the Local Bar and Eatery

Long time favorite bar of mine, they've done away with the pool table and any semblance of entertainment, then today they wouldn't even serve me because they sensed I was "too drunk" (I hadn't had more than a few beers from the tailgate but had the hiccups). Then they wouldn't even let me stay and watch the game because I wasn't a paying customer. Yeah I wanted to be a paying customer but that was your choice assholes. I'm never going there again.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Studs: San Diego SUPER CHARGERS!

Duds: New York's Gang Green Problem

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    I think its safe to say Oliver earned the RB job today. I dont care if Brown is cleared and ready to go next week, if Oliver aint the starter im gonna be pissed :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If Oliver isn't getting the bulk of the carries it's purely for political reasons (IE: we PAID Brown).

I could see Brown getting a lot of play if he's clearly the better pass blocker, but Oliver is by far the more effective runner. He looks hungry!

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    You should have gone to La Bella's...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Yeah I should have. The Local had always been reliable but I guess they suck now.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Studs

Oliver - looks like he can be the 1st and 2nd down back, Brown might be relegated to play the Woodhead role. It was only 1 game but count me as one who touted Grice over BO. What I was most impressed by was not only his obvious running/catching ability but his nous when it came to finding the blitzer and stopping them. Simply incredible performance.

Kick coverage - special mention to Tutu who even had a catch, he's already better than Osgood.

Rivers - no words necessary.

Dunlap - quietly having an amazing year at LT, looks like he's v much a keeper who will cost us some $.

Coaching - Pagano is winning me over. It's certainly helping that he has the likes of Flowers, Freeney and Verrett out there now.

Duds

Interior O line on right side. Both Trout and Watt stunk it up. Looks like it will need to be Watt at center now too. I'm far from giving up on him though, I reckon he'll do just fine long term. Trout on the other hand, jeeeeez. If Ohrnberger returns get Watt at RG.

Officials (again) - the roughing the passer call was a disgrace, there was also that v questionable PI call.

The CBS coverage and announcers, if I never hear Bumbel and Green again it will be too soon.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    OMG I completely forgot about those two jackasses. Must've been the worst broadcast with the biggest *** kissers I've ever listened to. Even though I was absolutely THRILLED it was on in my area (a rare treat in the Mid-Atlantic) that made the game very difficult to watch.

Honestly I don't even know if it's the fault of Smith so much as it's the fault of the GM. I don't think I've seen an offense with so little talent since maybe the 1998 Chargers (or the 2002 Bengals). They have mediocre RBs and a laughable WR/TE corps. EJ Manuel you could at least make a better case it's his fault since he actually has talent surrounding him. But who the heck does either QB throw to?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
  23. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    THOSE B__TARDS!!!!!

24. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    The o-line helped us to run all over the supposed best run defense in the league, come on man give them a little credit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I wish the Live broadcast wasn't delayed, I used to love turning down the TV and watching TV while listening to the radio announcers call the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Studs: Team toughness. This is the toughest Charger squad I've seen since the Bobby Ross days, and our current boys are tougher. From individuals, to units, to the next man up philosophy, these guys are nails.
    Duds: Bryant GumYerBalls for dedicating 80% of the air and camera time to the farking, imploding, swirling around the bottom of the toilet Jets. I hated it and my wife even hated it. I had to turn off the volume at times it was so bad. And please, threadhounds, spare me any well-intended lectures. We do NOT need to win a super bowl to receive equal billing. That broadcast performance was a flat out slap in the face to the City of San Diego and to the Chargers. No excuses!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    I have to agree with McCoy in his presser......that attempted "curtain call" for Rivers was pretty weak.....I expected the Q to explode....it was more like a golf clap....wtf??? C'MON MAN!!!!:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree Ant, it just to funny that the Jet Fans the past week or two have been chanting for Vick and he really wasn't any better than Geno. The Jets are in a bad spot and it may take awhile for them to compete again. There may be a coaching change brewing this off season for the Jets...probably need to replace the GM too. There secondary is just BAD!

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Just watched the Short Cut of the game and every play Donald Brown was in.

I'm sorry to say I think this may be Derek Cox all over again. His one redeeming quality is he is a very good pass blocker, but as a ball carrier and receiver he doesn't do anything one of a million day 3 draft picks can't do. It's like he's running with his eyes closed, he doesn't adjust to backfield penetration like Oliver does, he doesn't break tackles, it's very frustrating to watch him get wrangled so easily. I really wonder if DJ Adams might have a little more gusto.

Also watching his "concussion" play again, he sure didn't show any signs of it, he got right up and walked off the field. I assume he plays this week.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  30. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Alien

Ratings:
    +4
    The Chargers are doing very well at 4 - 1 . As a 3 - 2 Packer fan, I salute San Diego's fine record. I wish our defence were as good as your's is, but we'll keep working to get better. Best of luck against Oakland. (Will Oakland ever build a modern Stadium ?) LOL