1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs and Duds - Chargers kick the Kitties

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Studs

Keenan Allen: Open the season by breaking a 30yr old + record
    Stevie Johnson: Chargers now have 3 #1 receivers
    Kyle Emanuel: Already the steal of the draft
    DJ Fluker: Showed improvement throughout the game, hope he's ok
    Jason Verrett/Brandon Flowers/Patrick Robinson: Basically shut down one of the most dynamic passing games in the NFL
    John Pagano: Called a beautiful gameplan
    Danny Woodhead: Boy did we miss you
    Philip Rivers: Mistakes were made but he rallied like a champ
    Chris Hairston: Jumped in without missing a beat

Middle

Ladarius Green: Stepped up big time but at the same time he needs to learn to block
    Melvin Ingram: Not quite the supaMelvin but some nice plays
    Eric Weddle: Probably his worst game in a long time
    Melvin Gordon: We are seeing some nice glimpses but not a finished product
    Josh Lambo: That missed XP man, but a fantastic game for a first year

Duds

The Draw: I now hate this play more than ever
    Joe Barksdale: Played worse than Fluker has in two years
    Special Teams: Probably the worst I've seen in 5 years
    Misusing Gordon: No offense but constant draws aren't the best way to do this

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Studs:
    Keenan Allen
    Kyle Emanuel
    Jason Verrett: Tate is a guy who had 100 catches for 1300 yards last year, and Verrett kicked his ***.
    Brandon Flowers: Hell of a job on CJ.
    Stevie Johnson

Mid:
    Philip Rivers: Two bad INTs put a scratch on a great day.
    Ladarius Green: F grade in blocking. A grade in receiving.
    Eric Weddle: Saved a TD at the end.

Duds:
    Frank Reich: Leaning on the draw play.
    Chris Watt
    Special Teams coverage
    Manti Te'o: Dude had a rough day covering RBs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Studs
    Keenan Allen
    Kyle Emanuel
    Charger Defensive Backfield
    Phillip Rivers - bad picks, but money when it counted

Mid
    Josh Lambo - missed XP could have been big, but how many kickoffs were in the endzone?

Duds
    Chris Watt, Te'o - need a lot more from both of them
    Frank Reich - 1) I thought we got rid of the "Norv Draw", 2) You have to put Melvin Gordon in space - give him a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Keenan is a straight up freak!!!

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Studs:
    3rd and 4th quarter Chargers

Middle ground:
    2nd Quarter Chargers

Duds:
    1st Quarter Chargers

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Stud: K. Reyes with his enthralling solo tackle and extraordinary 1 assist...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Studs:

Philip Rivers
    - 35 of 42 for 404 passing yards and 2 touchdowns. His 254 passing touchdowns tie Hall of Famer Dan Fouts’ franchise record, but Philip did it in 27 fewer games and with a much better interception percentage.

Keenan Allen
    – 15 receptions for 166 yards. He was the security blanket for Philip that Antonio Gates usually is.

Kyle Emanuel – A sack & an interception for the rookie who was selected in the 5th round, if he keeps this up then Jerry Attaochu will be lucky to get his starting gig back.

Danny Woodhead – 12 rushes for 42 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns, along with 4 receptions for 20 yards. He continues to be a matchup problem for defenses.

Stevie Johnson – 6 catches for 82 yards and a touchdown. Like Allen, he’s a dangerous slot receiver who will make us forget the loss of Eddie Royal in short order.

Brandon Flowers & Jason Verrett – Limited the dangerous receiving duo of Calvin “Megatron” Johnson & Golden Tate to 6 receptions for 63 yards and no scores.

Ladarius Green - From midweek concussion concerns and doubts as to whether or not he would even play, to 5 receptions for 74 yards and a touchdown. Now is his best chance to confirm himself as Gates’ successor.

Melvin Gordon – 14 rushes for 51 yards, along with 3 receptions for 16 yards. Fumble notwithstanding, he looks like the guy we traded up to get.

Patrick Robinson – His interception quickly after Gordon’s fumble ensured that it would not cost us any points, and instead we scored our own touchdown shortly afterwards.

Josh Lambo – Made both field goal attempts, and showed good composure after the missed extra point. The deep kickoffs though, are the main reason he beat out Nick Novak and it was good to see him hit 3 touchbacks in his 1st NFL game.

Melvin Ingram – His hit on Stafford while passing resulted in Emanuel’s interception.

Dud:

Chris Watt – Several high snaps & a holding penalty, one of those bad snaps almost became a safety.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    holy **** can we stop running that gatdamn draw play????

Studs: Chargers

Duds: LOLions, stadium DJ as usual

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Studs

The passing game esp Keenan, Ladarius (he is always open) and Stevie (in fact the 3 of them are pretty much open all the time). Dunno about 3 number ones, but Keenan and Stevie are special.

The corners. Verrett, Flowers and Robinson, outstanding. Verrett might be the best corner the Chargers have ever had and I remember back as far as Gill Byrd.

Danny Woodhead. Great to have him back, what he brings to the Offense is unreal. Mad to think we were able to pick him up that cheap from the Pats. You'd be crazy to let such a player go. Compare that with the recruiting of Brown.

Lambo. One word, touchbacks. How refreshing.

Kyle Emanuel. Gets it. Steal.

Duds

The feckin draw play. I was retching in the 4th quarter each time I saw it. Would love to see Melvin get thrown a toss/sweep play.

Special teams coverage and returninability. Jacoby Jones is a waste of a roster spot. Did he get hurt yesterday?, he is not getting any younger and will offer nothing in the passing game when he is receiver no. 6. Spencer needs to get his *** in gear and figure out how to get this group to cover kicks and tackle. Weddle was not in on any ST unit or was he?

Te'o. No athleticism. Supposedly his smarts/instincts are to cover up for this. Forget it, can't tackle for sh1t. I say give Perryman a go and have someone like Stuckey come in on passing downs.

The injury to Fluker. Hope it is not as bad as it was first feared.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Offensive Game Ball: Keenan Allen--15 receptions for 166 yards, including the key first down reception on the late 3rd and 18-19 play.

Defensive Game Ball: Brandon Flowers and Jason Verrett--Megawho? Golden what?

Studs: Philip Rivers--35 of 42 for 404 yards and 2 TDs; Kyle Emanuel--a sack and an INT in his first NFL game; Lambo--touchbacks.

Duds: The special teams coverage--every opponent kick return looked like it had a chance to turn into something big.

Crud of the Week: Chris Watt--Horrible snap over Rivers' head deep in our own end, nearly critical holding penalty on the key late drive, false start penalty, poor run blocking and poor pass blocking.

12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    *Alien.... Thought I would fix that 4 you.

13. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I loved that game...that's my first chargers game at the Q and I couldn't be happier than to watch such a comeback.

I missed a few plays since I was in the nosebleeds and the jumbotron is not so jumbo.

I'm going to have to search online to catch a few of the replays. I loved seeing 81 completely shut down. I honestly wasn't too panicked about the 21-3 due to the huge amount of time left.

I saw some flashes of Melvin Gordon that got me excited, I was completely meh about him when we got him. Even though he was down by his arm...I saw some great balance, and think he's going to progress very well this season.

I think the next 5 weeks will be tough, if we come out with 4-2 would be amazing, only losing to packers and cin

Everything will be winnable, but excited for the season. I agree with everyone else. Looks like the chiefs will be our contenders this season...BUT Broncos always bring it against us no matter what

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Mini dud: Charger's girls "white hot Sunday" outfits need to be collected and buried at the Miramar landfill. duds.JPG

15. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. BoltsUK88

BoltsUK88 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Cue the chargers store stocking #51's

17. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Studs:
    Fluker... He played very well and for those who thought he might struggle pulling because of his feet. He did a very good job.
    Rivers... The man that makes it all go. I have no idea what happened to that pass right b4 the half. 100 out of 100 times he never throws it that bad with no pressure or anything. I think he just rushed it because of the time and it slipped out his hand.
    Receiving corps... They really did their thing. Primarily KA and Stevie. Pee Wee also had some nice RAC yards on his catches.

Secondary... The secondary stepped up minus Weddle in the first half. It was like payback for not paying the man. Then someone gave him a snickers bar during halftime. Verrett is a beast. He blanketed Tate and tackled well, but also chased down Abdullah on that broken 3rd down play that almost went to the house.

From the front 7
    Luiget showed up as expected along the line. Emanuel is clearly a steal. If he doesnt become our starter, I have no problem knowing that our depth is there and that healthy rotation can keep our OLB fresh. Ingram did his thing. But he chased a few plays and brought some pressure. His hit that forced the pick really inspired the D. Not much love for Butler, but he also played well.

Also gotta give Pags some love on the D he called. With the exception of the last drive. Which I know we are up 2 scores so dont let the first score be too fast on a busted coverage... we let them march it up a tad bit too easy. First half may not look like it, but we played relatively good D. Just gave up a couple big plays especially on third down. (Also please dont ever split your DT and DE wider than the interior front. Especially since our ILB dont shed blocks well. That was gap was just begging to be penetrated... ;)

Duds:

Reich and that damn Inside draw play. And if you going to keep calling it, set it up first and tell your exterior blockers, whether thats the T, TEs, or WRs tight to push the rushers wide! Everytime we call that play the Interior does their job, that the rush gets around the edges and cuts the back down before he can really get going.

Gets some love:
    MG3... Ran hard and should great balance and flashes. Also showed some patience, but decisiveness. Wish he could have kept his arm up on that TD run that got called back. He broke a lot of tackles there. I see really good things from him this season and in the future. With more work he would have had some better numbers, but the rotation was nice Sunday. Completely different that last season's opener when we used a different RB every play to every other play. No way to get a rhythm like that. Oliver got the very limited 2-3 touches he needs. (Now lets cut Donald Brown already... The 11th highest paid back should not be 4th on your depth chart and a healthy scratch.)
    MG3 remember to hold on to the ball young man. Possessions mean everything in the league.

Lambo for the touchbacks. The missed XP was mehhhh.... but the kicks b4 and after were good. He showed his composure. We'll be just fine with him. Look at it this way. Abdullah took alot of those kicks out the endzone like 7-8 yards back. Imagine having to deal with him from around the 5 on like 7 kickoffs... no bueno.

Sorry for the long Chaincrusher like post...

18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Finally the true # 51 Messiah! The BHC had been looking for him all in the wrong places for the last 8 years!!!

19. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I have less gut hanging over than the one in the front and I'm a 52 YO fart!

20. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Had we lost we'd all be cursing Josh Lambo's name, I hope that was the last PAT miss we see

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    you mean the 38 yarder that came after the delay of game penalty where we couldn't even run a 2 point conversion?! Shoot him now *rolling my eyes*

Last season Novak was 88.9% on FGs from the 30-39 yard range. So lets not hang Lambo out just yet!

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage-30-to-39

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Stud:
    Melvin Gordon and his mad tripod skill.

Good to kno he can 3-leg with the best of them. Imo I saw a forarm down, but not the elbow.

And dud to the dumass who insists on a new rule to the game EVERY damn year. Ah extra pt shakeup prob a good change.

23. BoltsUK88

BoltsUK88 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I think we can cut them some slack, 2 pt conversion is uncharted territory for our offense, 4 years since the last attempt.. keep that run going I guess.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I say it was a fairly well played game with all the new parts that have been installed. Yes there were a few breakdowns and hiccups along the way but they made it all the way to the end and pulled out the win.

They just need to build on yesterdays performance with some fine tuning to produce a smoother ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Forearm counts as down