1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs & Duds; Chargers and Cheese

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 18, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Studs

Philip Rivers: Even at the end he set tons of records
    Keenan Allen: If not for the injury.......
    Antonio Gates: Just keeps playing so damn well
    Corey Liuget: Another good game
    Jason Verrett: He's clearly the scariest CB the Chargers have
    Jerry Attaochu: Two good games in a row

Duds

Frank Reich: His play calling failed again
    Melvin Gordon: This was as bad of a game he's ever had
    Melvin Ingram: What a horrible game
    Eric Weddle: At this rate he shouldn't even get a vet minimum contract
    Mike McCoy: One good call and the rest was a bad joke

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    FIRE FLOWERS!!!!

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will just say this.
    throwing 650 times a game is not necessarily a good thing. Scoring only 20 points doing so....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    No studs. Just duds because they lost.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What the hell happened to you?

Mr. Positivity... My hero, and oh how the mighty have fallen! LOL...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I know right? Maybe because I see nothing to be positive about when it comes to this team. Nothing to build on each week.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    All Game Ballers - YES better than Studs... For this game and this game only.
    THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS OFFENSIVE LINE!
    Hodge podge make shift and kept one of the best Ds off of PR17 for a majority of the game.

Studs -
    Antonio 'Ninja King' Gates. Kept drives alive
    Keenan 'Who needs a groin' Allen, monster game and getting better
    Denzel Perryman 8 tackles, 7 of them solo, 1 tackle for a loss to lead the D in stops.
    Jeremiah 'Sackmeister' Attaochu 2 sacks and provided a lot of pressure.
    Frank Reich, you take flak, often it is more than called for. Today yuo dialed up some really good plays. Now fix MG28.

Middle Ground -
    Corey Liuget tackle for a loss, a sack, and helped collapse the GB OL all game long.
    Philip Rivers, yes he had a monster game, tosses like 150 times etc. But he missed quite a few open receivers and had a lot of off target throws. Not his fault we had to trow all day long, he is a warrior. But he was looking receivers down all day. That is one reason he missed DW39 and a wide open running lane on the last drive.

Duds -
    Donald 'don't call me Sean' Butler. Slow, bad angles and an apparent lack of 'hunger'
    Dontrelle Inman, routes not crips, targeted 7 times for 3 receptions... Gotta do better than that against a juggernaut like the Pack.
    Melvin Gordon, son I am rooting for you, but putting the ball on the ground 2 times in a quarter of football... Cant happen, ride the pine!
    Brandon Flowers, wilted and a shadow of last seasons self. You didnt get the call on the Packs last TD because you got caught holding several times.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If you cant see anything after today.... you are wearing blinders my friend...

9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    What did you see? We cant stop the run. We struggle to score in the red zone. Coaching sucks. You can't win games airing it out almost 70 times. 2 yards out and we can't punch it in. That's typical Chargers nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok...
    What I saw is two weeks in a row, the D has played a solid game and had some breakdowns. Last week you were all up in arms about how the D sucked all game, when really they gave up 4 big plays. 3 on the last drive.

Today, the D gave up 2 long runs, then shut it down. I am not sure what you expect, but for pity sakes you are one play and a cloud of tears this season. Your choice but it seems to me that you have very little objectivity when reviewing the team. But hey, I get bent when we lose too. I hated last weeks loss because I thought we were the better team.

The D today went against one of the best O's in the league and hold them in the seconds half to a single TD and a FG in the second half. The only really bad quarter they had was the first. They locked it down after that.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its his alter ego, Ray-mpage.

We understand eachother.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867

Green Bay went away from the run too soon. Had they stuck to it, they would have ran at will. But I will give credit for a few good stands. O-line played well on pass plays. Rivers did what he did. Like I tweeted, don't expect to see this offense next week. It's a divisional game and will be tougher. Expect the Chargers to play down to the competition.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know. They ran it 17 times. They continued to try and run it into the 4th quarter. That to me indicates that they kinda stuck with it.

Expect what you want. If you feel better expecting the team to stink it up go ahead. I expected it today and was pleasantly surprised with how they played today.

Basically Chargers gave up between what, 87 yards on 2 of Starks rushes. Therefore on his other 8 carries he gained only 25 yards. Now tell me Ray, does that support your claim that the Chargers cannot stop the run. Starks 65 yard rush came off a broken play where he actually hit his lineman and bounced it outside. That was an excellent play by him. Credit where it is due. So am I to assume that you think the D is defined by not giving up a big or broken play?

Who do you think is the best D in the league right now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Best D is probably the Bengals. If the Chargers are able to someday string a few wins in a row then I'll feel like there's progress being made. Just don't think it can be done with this coaching staff.

15. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    tmp_7810-FB_IMG_1445217761987-138957855.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Conc,
    your insight in this is true. This is why it is so crappy to hear. So the D is Ok and should be labeled "competitive", we have a QB face of the team that is the best slinger we have ever had and never gives up. This team is not so different from some of the most productive units we have seen in the past. Which can only logically point to a classic Maloik, curse, bad mojo, Voodoo or just plain Charger luck. Boy it's hard to be a bolt fan.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agreed. Even if we don't play down to the Raiders next week (HAHAHA yeah right), from Sunday to Sunday you never know what Charger team is going to show up....and even when the good one shows up they are capable of losing in heart breaking fashion.

I thought the O-line showed up to pass block today, which is fine. But our lack of a running game is going to keep us from ever being a "good" team.

18. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    That's why it's tough to see the tiny positives of each loss. We needed a furious comeback to win in week 1. Competitive against a tough Bengals squad. Then we stink it up in Minnesota. Then we barely beat the Browns at home. Can't stop an second string old QB against the Steelers. Then play well enough to lose against GB. So what can we expect in the upcoming weeks? Some say it's the easy part of our schedule. But we all should know by now that this team never makes anything look easy. Regardless of how we played, it's a loss. Had we won, you can say we beat one of the elite teams at their home and you can build off that.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am NOT suggesting the Chargers are 'best' D.

But the Donkies, who everyone says is the best almost lost to the Browns. My point is that our D is playing well. Not great. I critique them for not being around the receiver all too often. Saw it twice this game. One I found out on one Perryman slipped and fell. The other I am amusing was a broken play.

That said, to argue that the D cant stop the run, when for most of the game today and last week they did just that, is just wrong. Our D needs the O, but I would say right now, the D is more consistent than the O. The O gets a lot of yards but too many drives ending in punts or FGs for my liking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    If your Dud list headliner doesn't start with Brandon Flowers, you should have been watching something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Sadly when it comes to next season's contract extension, the Chargers will re sign Melvin Ingram and give him a boatload of cash, although he never lived up to the hype.

22. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I agree with you Conc. That's why this offensive performance doesn't mean much. 20 points a a game doesn't cut it unless you have the 85 Bears defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Red zone has been an issue since week 1 of 2013 when we blew a lead against the Texans, and that was back in the day where we had a decent (maybe even good:eek:) running game.

It's going to get even bigger now that we can't run the ball and force our way in.

24. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Studs:

Philip Rivers - 43 of 65, for 503 yards, (all Chargers franchise records) 2 touchdowns and no picks. Became the 1st quarterback in NFL history to throw for 500+ yards with no interceptions, and still lose.

Mike McCoy – Only 6 days after a gut-punching loss, the team traveled to Lambeau Field to face one of the better teams in the NFL, but were not intimidated. I like that McCoy took some chances, and showed confidence in the offense to get the job done. The team was prepared and played well enough to not only keep from embarrassing themselves, they could and perhaps should have won. I believe the confidence gained in going blow for blow with one of the elite (and still unbeaten) NFL teams will only help this squad going forwards, especially as they get healthier.

Keenan Allen - 14 receptions for 157 yards, his 3rd 100+ yard receiving game of the 6 that we’ve played.

Denzel Perryman- Made his 1st NFL start memorable, with 7 solo tackles, 1 assist, and a forced fumble. He definitely needs to play more.

Antonio Gates - 9 catches for 95 yards, he continues to climb up the NFL all-time record books. I love the fact that he’s running down & surpassing horse-faced Shannon Sharpe, who has been slamming him for being suspended and trying to question his entire career. Although Gates has played nearly 2 fewer seasons, he only trails Shannon in career receptions by 9, (815 to 806) but he’s already passed Sharpe in receiving yards (10,201 - 10,060) leads him in career average yards per catch (12.7 to 12.3) and he far exceeds him in touchdowns, 101 for Antonio to Shannon’s 62.

Jerry Attaochu - 2 sacks & constant pressure, although he should’ve recovered the fumble that Perryman caused.

Branden Oliver - 7 carries for 23 yards, coupled with 4 receptions for 40 yards. Perfomed when pressed into service, just like last season. I hate to say it, but he needs to play alot more until Melvin Gordon “gets it”. He’s never fumbled in an NFL game, in 219 touches so far.

John Pagano - After surrendering two 1st Quarter touchdowns, our defense really stiffened, and kept us in the game. We held the potent Packers offense to a mere field goal in 2 of the 4 Quarters, and got some crucial stops that gave us a chance to tie or win.

LaDarius Green - Only 3 receptions for 35 yards & a touchdown, he is a legitimate threat who likely opens up opportunities for his teammates.

Danny Woodhead - 7 carries for only 8 yards, and 5 catches for 63 yards, but continues tpo show that he’s indispensible to this offense.

Malcom Floyd - The “old man” shines again, with 95 receiving yards on 5 catches, to include a 50 yard bomb.

Duds:

Melvin Gordon - Although he “led” the team with 29 rushing yards in 7 carries, 25 of them came on 1 play and with 2 fumbles in his return to his home state, his 3rd in 2 games with our team losing two of them. His presence was sorely missed in the shadow of the goal line on the final drive, but he had proven to be mistake prone, forcing us to rely on two undrafted running backs, the slower Branden Oliver & much smaller Danny Woodhead with the game on the line, instead of a guy we traded up in the 1st Round to get.

Brandon Flowers - Had a few good plays, but committed more mistakes & penalties - he definitely won't be back next season.

Jacoby Jones – Although I like that his presence means that Allen & Oliver can return to their traditional roles in our offense, this guy is showing us nothing so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Flowers has been getting his petals plucked regularly. I think it was Johnson on the corner blitz and whiffed badly, 40 yard gain instead of a loss. All day long should a, could a, would a, that's not going to win many games.

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

27. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I’ll give Mike McCoy credit for being more aggressive lately, like letting Josh Lambo attempt a 60 yard field goal just before halftime on Monday, and going for it on 4th & short twice in the 1st half today.

Scoring that touchdown on 4th down just before the half, making it a 1 score game was huge!

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    ^^^ All except for McTurtle. Flowers been getting his petals plucked regularly and Floyd has gone Gator at times or so it seems. 9 penalties didn't help out much either, they either killed a Bolt drive or extended a Packer dive.

29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Stud - Rivers

Dud - Scoreboard

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Is Weddle getting back at the Chargers for not giving him contract? Probably not...but his performance drop-off is beyond a conspiracy joke! lol