1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs & Duds... Chargers at Cinci

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blitzy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Since our regulars have been MIA (Blue Bolt and Conc) I am going to fill in just for this once:

Studs:

- Melvin Gordon
    - Danny Woodhead
    - Robinson

Average:

- Rivers
    - Liuget
    - Ta'o ... I was going to put him up there though
    - Weddle
    - Butler
    - Ingram
    - S. Johnson and Floyd who had a TD each.

Duds:

- Coaches: McCoy leading
    - OL: Watt & Harriston in particular
    - DL
    - Flowers
    - Lamnooo
    - Keenan Allen

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Hard to argue with that.

Won't get too down on the kicker. Their lad missed a similar kick.

The coaches and both lines were v bad.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Studs - Gordon

Duds - Everyone else that dressed from Rivers down to Dzbnut.

4. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Oh come on! Woodhead worked his arse off!

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Fair enough. I'm not sure Woodhead has ever had a "bad game" as a Charger, dude doesn't make mistakes.

Gordon and Woodhead get a nod of approval, the rest can go slag themselves, including the coaches. And Donald Brown twice.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    We don't have that homerun, stretch the field deep threat WR. Love M80, but he is more complimentary now.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It wouldn't be such a big deal either if we had a good O-line; guys that could plow the road for our talented RBs, open up the opportunity for play action, and give the receivers time for the routes to develop.

In short, what they do in New England.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Studs: Bengals
    Duds: Chargers

honorable mention: Stupid people on our sidelines (I'm STARING at you Frank Reich and Mike McCoy).

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    It maybe time to dump Flowers......he's starting to look like Jammer did in his final hours.

10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Imagine that! After he got what, was it 5 Mil signing bonus and an extension?! They had kept Megatron in check last week so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Bengals are a VERY, VERY GOOD regular season home team.

Making no excuses for the level of the Chargers play, but we got arse whooped in the trenches and then it all spread out from there!

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    That last drive was 50/50 for me as a fan to see if Rivers can win the game. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, (maybe another qb or two) albeit a couple of those more likely during their primes, there would be no question. He is 2nd tier in that respect. There I said it! :whistling:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    True losers always make excuses or blame others, that's what you're best at!!!!!. Keep up the good work you are doing a wonderful job.

• Old Old x 1
  13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Lol, you are right I am a natural born loser, but I was talking about Rivers. Although to your point, admittingly it sucks to be me. :( However, I have seen this many times over with Rivers, gets interception happy in the crunch, a couple years back couldnt run 2 min offense "at times," guess we could blame Norv, not Rivers, to your point of blaming others.

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah, I guess you're right Rivers isn't playing against 11 other angry men. Hell he should of had 15 TD passes today no question about it. It must suck to be you, glad it ain't me!!!!!.

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I concede, you are right, Rivers (who I am big fan) is infallible, or beyond question. Maybe you are the 12th angry man for Bengals. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    With Gordon's play today Rivers should have had a better showing but he threw some terrible balls. It's still a team game win or lose and losing is never fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I agree, I was just talking about 2 min drive for the win, Rivers is like "Tale of two cities" on 2 min drives, the best of times, the worst of times. I am not here to fight with fellow Charger fans, just expressing my point of view, maybe losing today didn't help, but I was being honest on my amatuer assessment.

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It was a terribly played game on both sides of the ball and the ST's did play well which was a turn around from the first game. It's more disappointing because they still had a chance and didn't convert and that always hurts when one is a fan of this team. Fifty years on and still hoping.

19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This isn't a Super Bowl team. We can't roll with the big dogs and I hope we look for future QB in '16 draft Rivers is showing signs of his own decline in play. Mike McCoy is OC and not HC material and I hope TT can see that part ways with any conservative coach.

Gordon looked good and that's with a banged up offensive line. This team to me looks lost a lot of the times and that's a coaching problem.

20. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Gordon looked really comfortable...and when we were pinned back...we didn't use him at all.

I'm in no way ready to call it, but we definitely have flaws...we have yet to play a semi-clean game. If we we're 50% clean...that would of been an easy win thanks to Bengals giving us numerous chances.

The last drive...I love Woodhead's extra fight for the 1st down AND the out of bounds. Not sure why Rivers felt he had to force that. I thought he grew out of that...

Bengals defense countered us really well in my opinion as far as covering the short passes...since that's how we shredded Detroit. We should of thrown a few bombs to spread them out. I would of liked putting the ball in Gordon's hands at least 10 more times... let him just pound the defense. On that third down that was fumbled, I would of preferred Gordon running it on the edge.

I hated the conservative 2 TO's not being used to end the first half. It was like a complete lack of urgency... Why not try to go down the field and maybe get another kick in?

I've really liked Flowers and this was the first time I think we've seen him play bad...I'm not jumping ship yet.

Last but not least...Our offensive line... how many holding penalties was that? Also sometimes it seemed like they had free runs at Rivers.

Give us back that Pick 6 and we won. So I'm not completely bummed...but it sucks seeing a game slip away. Today showed us its going to be a bit of a long season. I guess I foolishly hoped a little that we'd just run up scores, and I could tune out sometimes.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    The Chargers sucked today and still it came down to a mistake on the last drive. It could have been the winning drive so it goes to show that Cinci isn't all that good either. I bet their fans were probably thinking, "wtf, I can't believe this, we're going to lose, Rivers is going to pull this out of his *** again, fucque!".
    But it didn't happen though it very easily could have.

So...

Studs:
    Gordon
    Woodhead

Duds:
    Everyone else

Next week we could be in first place in the division. It's still that early.
    Carry on.

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have been saying it for years now, until this team starts investing some high draft choices to bring in some talented beef for both sides of the line of scrimmage, we are going to continue to complain about the play of the line.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I'd add Woody with Gordon, but he doesn't know how NOT to compete, so nothing out of the ordinary for the little man with a huge heart.

Completely agree with the last line and let's never forget our coaches, their contribution to the hot, steaming pile should never be overlooked.

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ummm yeah, right !

That contract alone means "never gonna happen"........................... dude can walk around and not give a toss and he'll still get a game.

Big contract = cue in rack ........(AKA The Marcus Marshmellow McNeill retirement plan)

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    FIFY there H8ter ......

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    STUDS

#1 Melvin Gordon was great! Why didn't they give him the ball more in the second half?! He gets better every game.
    #2 Danny Woodhead was a rock again. I think he benefits from the Chargers bad O-line with Rivers having dump short passes off to him.
    #3 Manti Teo was very good tonight. Only 5 tackles but he patrolled the running lanes well and had a great hit on Dalton!
    #4 Charger's run defence was pretty good tonight even thou Bernard got over 100 yards

DUDS

#1 The Chargers O-line is terrible!!! Especially the right side! We don't have good enough depth along the line and it is going to kill us further in to the season.
    #2 Where was the charger's pass rush??? Man, if the Chargers could get more pressure then we would have the best secondary in the league!

ON THE BUBBLE

#1 Rivers had a bad night although it was tough for him with no real protection. He has some great throws mixed with terrible throws.
    #2 Green didn't find the endzone but he was always finding space when Rivers needed him. He's getting involved more which is encouraging.

27. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I agree. The Chargers need a deep threat to open up the rest of the field. Allen, Johnsen and co would be so much better if they didn't have to fight to get open on all those short to intermediate routes!

28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I thought our defense was "almost there" in terms of going toe to toe for 60 minutes with a playoff caliber offense.
    Our offense, not so much.
    Special teams? Lambo's kick off touchbacks and corner kicks was a huge boost. Probably kept us from being on the wrong end of a blowout.

29. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Rivers is my favorite football player and I realize that he only had 1:09 with no timeouts, but I wish he would handle must score final drives a bit differently in one respect.

Specifically, knowing that he needs to make something happen, he tends to force throws unnecessarily in these situations, having done this now in several games.

Yes, he still had 69 yards to go for a TD, but the INT happened on first down and there was still almost a minute left. If the pass isn't there, and that pass to Floyd was never there, then either take the short pass to Johnson if Johnson can get out of bounds or throw it away. There is no need to risk deciding the game on that play.

Obviously, even if Rivers had not thrown the INT, the odds do not favor getting a TD in less than 1:09 from one's own 20 yard line, so that drive was always going to be a major uphill battle, but I would like to see us do what we can in those types of situations to maximize our chances and I don't think Rivers did that yesterday on that final drive.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am very happy Rivers is our QB. But unlike others I know he is not perfect. He is a competitor, and that serves us well most of the time. Other times it does not. He was tied for the most Ints last season with Cutler (18). He now has 3 ints on the season, putting him in second place.

I did not see the whole game yesterday, it sounded like the Bengals D had a very good game. That said, when I saw the interception yesterday, it looked to me as if Rivers had a pocket, and threw the ball low, into an area that had 3 to 4 defenders. Sure MF80 was behind the defender, but the ball was low, no chance for it to get to MF80 unless it went through the defender like a bullet...

Rivers has to cut that crap out. I know some like Hexbolt wont like this post, but it is what it is, to hijack an AJism... The Chargers are not good enough this season to overcome, consistently, a lot of INTs and fumbles.

Rivers will still win a lot of games, but I am wondering if; he has another season where he leads in INTs; a four year extension was a good idea.