1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Studs & Duds; Jaguar throw rugs for all!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 28, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Studs

Philip Rivers - Put a team on his back? Throw 3 TDs and complete 70%? No problem.
    M-80 - He is the mad bomber
    Eddie Royal - two more TDs and one of them a beautiful bomb
    Keenan Allen - he's been this open before, but now he was showing it.
    Brandon Flowers - I'm going to send the Chiefs a fruit basket for him
    Cordero Law - Welcome to the NFL
    Nick Novak - the energizer bunny, keeps going and going
    Fourth Down Defense - two awesome stops

Middle Ground

Eric Weddle - awesome INT but one 'boink' play and one horrible coverage
    Run Stopping - another team under 100 yds but started showing some real issues w Bortles and Robinson

Duds

Chad Rinehart - bad game but had played real well previous three.
    Johnnie Troutman - this should be his last game
    Steve Williams - Bortles' start came at the expense of the second year corner
    Run Game - part of it is the OL, part of it is play calling, part of it are the decisions of the RB, but it has to be fixed and NOW.
    Injuries - more injured than inactive spots, hope today helped because they can't last like this

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Studs

Rivers - Looks like Manning in his prime right now.
    Flowers - Imagine if we had not taken a chance on this guy....
    Royal - Dayuum
    Allen - 10 catches, all big.
    Novak - 29 for last 29
    D-line - Solid job.

Duds

Brown - He's part of the problem
    O-line - They're part of the problem.
    S. Williams
    Butler - He looks slow

Honerable mention...
    Reich...brilliant job after that snafu of an opening drive in the 1st quarter.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Wow! When you say "Duds" you really, really mean it!

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Law came through big time today and overshadowed anything Butler did, it's unfortunate they can't pull that contract he signed.

Rivers, what can anyone say. Simply one of the best to ever play in Bolts.

The Bolts took a win they tried real hard to give away early, some of these boys need to be knocked about the side of their head or fired.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    after the first quarter I thought this was going to be our trap game.
    Wide receivers- the studs
    Once we cure our turnstile Center position till then - dud

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We might have to rebuild our entire interior O-line this offseason. I'm not sure why Watt isn't playing over Troutman, but it's not a good sign that he can't win the job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Studs

Rivers, Allen and Royal

Duds

Weddle and Reinhart

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Studs :
    Rivers
    Allen
    Royal
    Novak

Duds :
    Running game : last seen on a milk carton with the caption "HAVE YOU SEEN ME?"

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

:roflmao:

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411

Sixto Rodriguez may have some ideas.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I think they were last spotted in the injury ward.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Fix the O-line and the running game will magically reappear in front of your very eyes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    I was just really happy with the ball really getting downfield this game. Allen has been open most of the season and finally got the ball thrown at him consistently and it paid off.

Royal has turned it around from his terrible game 1 and has really impressed me. He needs to just run forward on punt returns I'll take 5-10 yards every time over the small chance you break one due to going backwards or something like that.

I'm most concerned with the interior oline.. no push at all but at least when I watched Watt the times I knew he was in there he looked fine so that's a plus. I would assume hes the starter going forward.

On the defensive side of the ball we just had too many blown assignments that would have cost us way more vs a better team. Gotta use this stretch in the schedule to really improve on that.

Once we get Verrett back him and Flowers will give us our best CB pair in a long time and hopefully our pass rush can get healthy it was really weak today.

Butler looks like a shell of his former self hopefully he turns it around I don't want our leading tackler to have all of his tackles 5+ yards downfield I've already lived through that era before.

All in all good win this felt like a semi trap game due to Bortles first start and our historic tendency to play to the level of competition.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I didn't get to see the game today but I'm pretty sure Watt got the start over Troutman, but was pulled after that crucial false start in the first half. TBH I think it would be best for all if the moved Troutman back to LG and tried Rinehart at RG

16. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Butler had too much pot roast in the off season lol

17. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    I believe the whole line moved but the C who didn't follow the snap count on that play. Also had another false start when Rivers used hard count to draw em offsides. Downfall of being on your 3rd center I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    They rotated at RG I think every other series. Troutman played far poorer than Watt did

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Studs:
    A So/Cal team that sits atop the AFC West
    Duds:
    A huge injured-player list that keeps growing

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Seriously debating moving Troutman to LG and starting Watt at RG. Rinehart has been turrible.

21. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    So far with his time on the field, does it look like we have made a better acquisition than Brandon Flowers in recent memory?

Studs:

Philip Rivers- The level his is playing at right now is just unbelievable. 114.5 QB rating this year. Enough said.

Brandon Flowers- Love Kansas City for him. Is shutting everyone down.

Keenan Allen- Love watching this kid play. Dangerous in space. Got open early and often.

Duds:

Johnny Troutman- Wish I knew the reason why Watt isn't getting on the field.

The running game- How long can Rivers keep this up with such a lack of production on the ground.

22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    RE: Running game.
    How about we let loose the offense for the next few games (Jets, Raiders, Chiefs), so that we're in the habit of putting up 40+ points per game? If our running game's MIA until the O-line gets healthy and we get RM back, we'll need all the points we can to come out of Denver with a W...and practice makes perfect.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It's easier to put up 40 points when you at least have the threat of running. What you're seeing right now is QB who is playing PERFECT football, or as close to it as you can get, but we are completely one dimensional and sooner or later a good defense (perhaps led by Rex Ryan?) is going to expose us.

If I were a DC I'd tell my guys to come out in nickel and dime on every snap and just blitz, dare us to run, or dare us to drop back and pass. I was surprised yesterday when Jacksonville did not blitz our interior O-line like Arizona did, but tried to take the same strategy as Seattle...and got picked apart just like Seattle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    The OL is the team's most serious Achilles heel as it continues to drift deeper into mediocrity due to injury. While I thought Legursky played OK for a guy who was on the street three weeks ago, the lack of reps and talent across the remaining healthy players has placed the team on a knife edge. I'm not sure why Watt isn't playing more, or starting. However, the coaches, like all coaches, are seemingly predisposed for experience over potential. Maybe they feel that the injuries have caused so much turmoil on the integrity of the OL, that they need to go with the more game-experienced players. In any case, the OL trouble, when added to RB production which has fallen off the chart, has already significantly impacted the Chargers offensive strategy. The resulting one dimensional strategy worked against one of the worst teams in the league. Not sure it will against the Jets, who do have a pretty good DL and I'm absolutely sure it will not work against the good teams left on the schedule. I'm sure the Jets and Rex Ryan will be dialing up every pressure in the book to try and get to Rivers. Eventually we are probably toast with no running game and Rivers' risk of injury goes up (he came up hobbling a bit after one hit in the Jaguars game). Based on what we saw yesterday, I would be in favor of suiting up Draughn next week, and sitting Oliver. I hate his jitterbugging east/west instead of committing to north/south.

25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The guard play has been bad this year. I see no reason not to speed up Watt's development. Let the boy play... he can't be worse than what we've seen so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Bolts & Dolts: Rivers, Flowers are perfect in win over Jaguars
    By John Gennaro @john_gennaro on Sep 29 2014, 8:00a

[​IMG]
    Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

Bolts
    Philip Rivers - 29/39, 377 pass yds, 3 pass TDs
    And now we can say that Philip Rivers has been "fixed". As great as he was last season, I still wanted to see what would happen if he got put in a bad situation, behind a bad offensive line without much of a running game. Turns out, he still doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't even fumble when he gets sacked anymore! El Capitan has played a flawless month of football, when the team has needed him to carry them. This is far and away the best month of his career.

Sunday was no different. An offensive line made up of broken toys, a running game that doesn't exist....the Jaguars should have had their way with this Chargersoffense. Instead, they could not stop Rivers no matter what they threw at him.

Keenan Allen - 10 catches (11 targets), 135 rec yds
    I told you. I told you not to worry about Keenan. I told you that, once he got away from the shutdown CBs, Keenan would go back to putting up ridiculous numbers. Now, I guess the Buffalo Bills defense is a bit better than I had thought, but the rest of it held true.

Keenan was able to get open 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and catch everything thrown at him. It got to the point that, on 3rd & long, Rivers wouldn't look at any other receiver. He would just stare at KA until Keenan made his cut, then he'd throw it with full confidence that the receiver would be open and catch the ball. It looked like two high school kids playing against a Pop Warner team.

Eddie Royal - 5 catches (7 targets), 105 rec yds, 2 rec TDs
    I'm going to say something that will shock you. Get ready.

Eddie Royal is not a very good WR.

Are you still there? Are you angry? It's okay. Let me talk you down.

Eddie Royal does not run good routes, he doesn't have particularly good hands, he doesn't time his jumps well, he can't out-muscle anybody and he generally should never be considered a WR in the NFL. But, somewhat like when Mickey told Rocky that left-handed boxers should be barred from the sport, Eddie isn't hearing any of that.

What Eddie Royal is great at is running and getting away from people that want to tackle him. He's like a greased pig on cocaine that way. Get him the ball in space, and he's going to pick up a bunch of yards. Mike McCoy and Frank Reich (and Ken Whisenhunt) have figured this out, and they draw up plays that get Eddie open with minimal effort so that he can get the ball with space to run. It hasn't just been a genius plan, it's been a brilliant red zone game-plan that nobody has seen coming despite the fact that they've been doing it for over a year.

In a nutshell, we may not need to worry so much about the loss of Danny Woodhead, because Eddie Royal can do a lot of those same things incredibly well.

Brandon Flowers - 6 tackles (6 solo), 1 tackle for loss, 1 defended pass, 1 interception
    Isn't this the guy with a groin so hurt that he couldn't play two weeks ago?

Brandon Flowers played a perfect game against the Jaguars. Not good, not great, but perfect. Against the run, he was perfect. Against the pass, he was perfect.

According to PFF, Flowers was thrown at four times all game long. He gave up 2 catches for 3 yards, and had a beautiful interception when Blake Bortles stared down his receiver.

Nick Novak - 4/4 FGs, 3/3 XPs
    On the two-year anniversary of his being signed by the Chargers, and turning his career around, Novak nailed FGs from 33, 34, 23, and 37.

Let's do a quick look back at Novak's career:

Pre-Chargers: 19/30 FGs (63%)
    With Chargers: 85/97 (87%)

He is one of the best kickers in the league, if not the best, and going 4/4 on Sunday was business as usual for Nick "Nails" Novak.

Honorable Mention: Dwight Freeney, Andrew Gachkar, Cordarro Law
    So much for Kavell Conner getting the start. He got 20 snaps, compared to 52 for Gachkar.

Dolts
    Offensive Line
    The offensive line was giving up pressure on Philip Rivers all game long and the running game once again was held to a paltry 2.1 yards per carry. This unit is not good right now. They need to figure it out quick if this team is going to do anything this year.

Defensive Line
    Good lord, just switch to the 4-2-5 already.

Here's how bad it was: Kendall Reyes was arguably the best defensive lineman for the Chargers yesterday.

Sean Lissemore could be replaced by a bag of sand. Corey Liuget is frustratingly inconsistent. Tenny Palepoi should not be on an NFL field. Ryan Carrethers got a few snaps and looked like a slightly heavier bag of sand than Lissemore.

I'm openly rooting to see this as the base defense when Jason Verrett returns:

D-Line: Freeney, Liuget, Reyes, Johnson
    LBs: Butler, Conner/Gachkar
    DBs: Flowers, Wright, Verrett, Weddle, Gilchrist

Steve Williams - 2 tackles (2 solo)
    Someone hit Steve Williams with the fire extinguisher. The Jags lit him on fire. He was barely on the field long enough to embarrass himself, but somehow he managed to beat the odds.

Williams was on the field for five snaps and Bortles immediately targeted him. He was thrown at twice and gave up 2 catches for 22 yards before very quickly being replaced by Richard Marshall. He was replaced by Richard Marshall and that was viewed as an upgrade. Ouch.

27. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    ^^^ somewhat harsh but QFT as it hurts when truth is spoken ^^^

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    A little too harsh on the D-line I think. They were not great but not bad either.

29. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I am surprised that it wasn't harsh enough on Donald Butler! This guy has all but MIA'd ever since he signed that big fat contract! He is a former shadow of himself and being a leading tackler while tackling 5 yards down the field is not a bragging honor! If Donnie Edwards was being knocked for the same thing, at least he was great in coverage!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What is his current role? Does Pags have him playing 5 yards deep for containment?

The Chargers have 19 tackles for a loss on the season. Only 5 yesterday. So this fantasy about good LBs (or any player) are supposed to always tackle for a loss is just that; a fantasy. Butler had 7 solos tackles yesterday, 3 assists to lead the team. Only Wright and T'eo have more tackles for a loss (2 to Butler's 1), oh yeah, they are bad players to right? Freeny has 3 tackles on the year, and 3 sacks. Some might argue his production isnt good. But NFL defense is a team thing, you have to play your role. Is Butler's role Blitzing the line every down? If so then you might have a point.

I know the talking heads of the forums think that something as silly as an LB making tackles is unimportant but it is what the D asks the LB to do. Tackles get players millions and pro bowl votes by other players. There is a reason for that.

Oh and Butler leads the team with 2 recovered fumbles... Just sayin...