1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Styx to Perform National Anthem and a Friendly Bet

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rexy2006, Jan 8, 2009.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Styx To Perform National Anthem, ‘Renegade’ At Steelers-Chargers Game

Thursday, January 8, 2009 – updated: 11:42 am EST January 8, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- The rock band Styx will be performing the National Anthem at Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field. Kickoff time is 4:45 p.m.

In addition to their Anthem performance on Sunday, Styx will also be performing a special A cappella rendition of their hit song, "Renegade," which has become a battle cry for Steelers fans cheering on the team's defense. The band will be entertaining a capacity crowd of over 65,000 fans just prior to kickoff.

Joining the band on the field for the Anthem will be 20 western Pennsylvania soldiers departing for deployment next week.

"We love the way the Steelers use our song 'Renegade,' said Tommy Shaw of Styx. "We especially love their video montage of 'Greatest Hits' using 'Renegade' as the music bed as they hammer opposing team members carrying the ball. That's one video I don't mind not appearing in."

Copyright 2009 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Rep. Doyle Bets Primanti Bros., Iron City Beer On Steelers-Chargers Game

Thursday, January 8, 2009 – updated: 9:44 am EST January 8, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Rep. Mike Doyle made a friendly wager with Rep. Brian Bilbray on the outcome of the upcoming Steelers-Chargers AFC divisional playoff game. Doyle and Bilbray agreed that the congressman whose team loses will buy lunch for their staffs.

If the Chargers win, Doyle will buy Primanti Brothers sandwiches and Iron City beer for Bilbray’s staff. If the Steelers win, Doyle’s staff gets Rubio’s Mexican food and Stone Brewery beer from Bilbray.

"With Big Ben and Willie Parker on the field, and the strongest defense in the league led by NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison, the Steelers will run over the Chargers on their way to the AFC championship game," Doyle said.

"I know the weather was great last week in San Diego, but it's January and we're in Pittsburgh -- the Chargers don't stand a chance," he said.

"Of all the teams left in the playoffs, the Pittsburgh Steelers have scored the fewest points and committed the most turnovers," Bilbray responded. "Our QB is the highest rated passer in the NFL while Big Ben is recovering from a concussion.”

“Their running game was ranked 23rd in the NFL, while Darren Sproles accounted for 328 all-purpose yards last week,” he said. “The ‘Steel Curtain’ defense of Pittsburgh is going to get carved up by Rivers and Co."

"Since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger, there has been no place harder for a road team to play at than in Pittsburgh," Doyle said. "Let's just see how effective little Darren Sproles will be on the Heinz Field grass with temperatures in the teens."

The Steelers finished the season with a 12-4 record, winning 7 of the final 8 games of the season behind the NFL's best defense.

The AFC West Champion Chargers closed the season on a 4-game winning streak and are coming off of an impressive victory last week over the heavily-favored Indianapolis Colts.
    Copyright 2009 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Iron City is really crap beer :tdown:

• Like Like x 2
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Damn, I really like Styx.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    LETS GET FIRED UP GUYS! :lol:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I guess Styx likes the Steelers version and not ours, the Chargers do the same thing for our home games.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I hope no one gets sick drinking that crap.

Then again if its for lunch at work, can you get workmans comp if you have to stay home a couple of days?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I didn't think our version was to a Styx song tho??? I can't remember what song we use but I thought it was a bit angrier than Styx hehe

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is one of the GREATEST songs known to the universe.

...... "Hangman is coming down form the gallows and I don't have very long" ....... The jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me. The Renegade .........

This halftime show is going to be biitchin'. One of my favorite all time rock groups. :icon_toast: :icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Styx is not the "Real" Styx without Dennis DeYoung.

Now I have completely lost all respect for Styx.:no:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Iron City vs. Stone Brewing? What a bunch of crap. Iron City sucks. :tdown:

BTW - Styx is one of the gayest bands ever. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    To al the STYX haters.

Keep listening to the Village People. They always have openings for cast wannabe's :lol: Fags.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Styx phucking sux. Renegade is the only song of theirs even worth mentioning.

Don't EVEN presume to talk music with me, Mr. Arrogant. I was playing R&R while you were still ******** green. :lol:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Although... I always thought that the bearded lady sitting in front would have a place in the Village People! :icon_rofl:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    While I enjoy STYX from time to time... I certainly wouldn't put their music to a video about how hard my team hits ppls :lol:

this song is much better :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If you think about it, the Chargers are nothing but a bunch of Renegades.

This is an 8-8 team that no one believed would be here (except me after the Atlanta loss) and who has been disrespected since the Bucs game.

I have seen enough of Steven Tyler's mouth. I forget the name of the group they sing "Sweet Emotion" ....****... brain fart ..... :lol: Oh Aerosmith

17. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

With all due respect to Trumpy, Styx is one of the faggier bands out there.

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eh - he probably likes Journey, too. :icon_eek:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pffftt....Wannabe muscians.... :lol:

BLUE COLLAR MAN

...... AND LISTEN TO THE RIFFS for you aspiring guitarists

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Wet panty time

~COME SAIL AWAY~

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Styx and Reo Speedwagon "Roll with the Changes"

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Gawd almighty please make it stop!!!

[​IMG]

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think we copied them. I don't remember seeing it until after I saw it there this year. Maybe one of our dudes was on the sideline there and thought "hmm, that would be cool."

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :lol:

I never liked them either. For some reason, I've always found their lyrics to be disturbing.

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Though they aren't my favorite band ever, I like Styx. I like Journey too. And I like Anthrax and Chuck Mangione. It just depends on what I am in the mood for.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew people would talk **** about them, Styx is a popular band for people to bash. My friend talks **** about them all the time, calls them gay, and he like Prince. What the f*ck is gayer than Prince?

[​IMG]

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I seen Billy Squier, Styx and Bad Co. about 3 years ago. Great show but Bad Co. stole the night, they broke out with a Beatles Medly in the middle of their show and brought the house down. Billy was better than Styx IMHO, but they were great live anyway.:bolt:

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

................................................[​IMG]

Can't really think of anything... right now. :lol:

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    On my web site long ago, we had a poll over gayest album cover. The one above with naked Prince sitting on a flower, or.....

[​IMG]

I think "They are equally gay" ended up winning.

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I saw STYX, Squier and Journey at Junefest about 5 yrs. ago.
    Not the same bands I grew up with. :no:

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    You can call Prince anything you want except Gay! The man is a Genius. :yes: