1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Suck for Luck... Not so fast NFL hes got a Daddy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    The Luck factor

Hate to rain on everyone's "Suck for Luck" parade, but there is an under-the-radar storyline regarding the heralded Stanford quarterback that will soon be out there.
    Think all your team has to do is finish 1-15 to get Andrew Luck? It might not be that easy. The presence of Luck's father, Oliver, is something league executives will be watching closely as we get closer to April. This well could be Eli Manning in 2004, or John Elway in 1983, if the Stanford quarterback's camp doesn't like the situation the highest picking team presents.

"Absolutely. I've heard that for the last two years," said one college scout, who's on the road and paid to ferret this stuff out. "There's no question that it could be a Manning thing all over again."
    The Manning comparison, of course, arises because Archie Manning drove the bus on youngest son Eli forcing a trade from San Diego to New York. And don't get this twisted -- this isn't a criticism of Luck or his father, who is also the athletics director at West Virginia. They have the leverage, the next 10-15 years of Luck's life could be in the balance, and so it makes sense to use that power to find the right spot.
    It's just that, based on the way Oliver and Andrew Luck have carefully orchestrated their decisions in the past, teams are expecting this circumstance to arise if the wrong team is sitting at No. 1.
    "We talked about this before (Luck's sophomore) season started," said the scout. "Some people know the dad well, and the hands-on approach he has. In Andrew's defense, he seems pretty in control of everything. So I could see it being a mutual decision. And if he can control it, why play behind a (crappy) offensive line, or in a bad situation? He's gonna have that control. If he doesn't like the team there, all he has to do is voice that, and there'll be teams looking to trade up.
    "The Luck camp has a ton of firepower here. More than anyone I can remember."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont like players that want to Shuck the system *albeit still not perfect almost there well see with the Rookie Salary Cap* and refuse to go to the team that NEEDS them..... WTF Glad ALuck wasnt one of my favorites.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Oh me oh my.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    How ironic would it be if Luck decides not to join a Manning in Indie??...

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well yea the Colts Oline hasnt been elite for years.... that would put them out of the favorites. But Indy wont be #1 in the sweepstakes.

5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Honestly, any prospect that voices an opinion directly about not wanting to join a certain team should be kept out of the draft. Try again next year young man. Anyone who thinks they are above the system should be treated like ****. It's high school bull ****. It's how football players get drafted from Florida State and USC and get a 7 on the Wonderlic. Entitled little assholes who get passed through school because god gave them physical gifts. I wonder what the NFL would look like if you had to get a 15 on the Wonderlic to play???

• Like Like x 3
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Just Florida St and USC? Really? I certainly hope you just listed those two as examples cause their are a **** load more teams that have that issue. And no offense but most of your top teams in the nation are gonna have that problem. Teams like Florida St who were once a prominent program and now they aren't are doing everything it takes to get back there and sometimes you just have to take a athlete or two. Every program has at one point in time taken someone they shouldn't have who makes poor choices while there.

7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Let's ask The U for example...

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I totally agree! It’s a punk move, no matter who does it. At least John Elway had a potential MLB career to fall back on, ShEli threatened to go to law school after we drafted him. In the end, I love how it all turned out, but in the very same week that former NFL player Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan because he was unselfish, that pouting punk stood on the stage in New York and showed the World exactly what selfish (and an unwillingness to stand up to ones daddy) looks like.

Bo Jackson was drafted #1 overall by Tampa Bay in 1986, but refused to sign with them. He played baseball and re-entered the NFL draft the following year, and the Raiders got him in the 7th round. In the grand scheme of things, he cost himself tens of millions of dollars that he could’ve received as the top pick in the NFL draft, vice being drafted in the 7th round but he easily made up that cash in MLB & endorsements.

If Andrew Luck & his father try this crap, I’d like to see Roger Goodell take a real tough stance, but he probably won’t. If a player who hasn’t proven squat at the professional level wants to choose their NFL team, they have the option of not entering the draft, and joining the team of their choice as an undrafted free agent. They wouldn’t make as much money with their 1st contract (due to the new CBA, they don’t now anyway) but if they’re good enough, they’ll get seriously paid when they sign subsequent contracts like John Randle, Antonio Gates, James Harrison, Tony Romo & many others did.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind being Mike Tolbert’s agent when it’s time to sign that 2nd NFL contract…

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    This is why I'm glad there's a rookie salary cap now :)

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep, just examples, most big named colleges (and many small colleges, and high schools, and some Texas middle schools) have this issue. Reward the kids physical ability, but short change him on an education. We end up with fantastically wealthy, huge physically gifted retards. Seriously, these are the guys that finish playing 6-10 years of football at 1-10 million a year and come out the other side broke and wanting sympathy. Players that want to choose their own team can play in the CFL or UFL, if you want in the draft you should have to pass a code of conduct, and part of that being that you do not publically diss any team. The draft is set up the way it is on purpose so the worst teams get the most help. It's a foundation of the league and these guys (Elway, Elisha, and possibly Luck if this becomes true which it may not) are ******** on it. There ought to be a Wonderlic minimum to get in. If you cant get a 15 or higher, you have to go back to school or tutoring until you can get the score. I seriously think we are living in the Age of Entitlement. Everyone thinks they're owed something from everyone. No one feels the need to earn it anymore. And these "Athletes" may be the worst of them. Have respect for the millions of other boy who played football since they were 6 and wanted nothing more than to get into the league.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But isnt it these same guys who are broke later on in life once football is over.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    THIS

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Sooo great. I think Jim Harbaugh has a secret plan to get luck. P willis trade for 1st pick or luck renters college...

14. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Well, he IS a junior...

15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    A redshirt junior...

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If any of us were the top guy in any industry, we would hold out for the best company to hire us also. I think the system is not perfect, but I can't say I would blame a guy for wanting to go the the 'right situation' that they could have the most success at. Then again, that isn't how the system works, so screw him ;)

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The moment anybody pulls that sh_t, they are telling every other player in that draft, and every player ever drafted that they think they are better than them. I didn't like it when Elway did it, I really didn't like it when ECry and his daddy did it, so I hope Luck won't pull that b_tch as_ move.

18. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    dude i love the sig!