1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Suck on this, NFL team owners

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, May 25, 2011.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Coaches file brief, side with players
    Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- NFL coaches are teaming up with the players in their legal fight to end the owner-imposed lockout.

The NFL Coaches Association filed a brief with the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday expressing support for the players and saying that the lockout is putting their jobs in jeopardy.

"Owners and fans increasingly demand immediate success, and coaches whose teams cannot fulfill such severe expectations face likely dismissal, which means the uprooting of families, economic dislocation, and a significantly less promising career path," lawyers for the NFLCA wrote.

Read the brief here. PDF

No individual coaches were identified in the brief, which said that the eight new coaches hired this year face particularly daunting odds of success if the lockout is not lifted soon. The NFL grants new coaches two extra summer minicamps to get players familiar with the new staff, and the elimination of those camps puts them at a competitive disadvantage heading into the season.

"To meet management's expectations, coaches need adequate time in the offseason to prepare their players for the season ahead," the filing said. "The lockout has already interfered with the coaches' offseason plans for their players, and each day lost in preparing for the season further diminishes coaches' opportunities to prove themselves and advance their career."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was not surprised by the filing.

"The Coaches Association offices with the Players Association in Washington," Aiello wrote in an email to The Associated Press. "So this comes as no surprise."

The 8th Circuit has set a June 3 hearing to hear arguments on whether the lockout is legal. A federal judge in St. Paul, Minn., initially ruled that the lockout was illegal, but the 8th Circuit put a stay on that ruling pending the appeal.

Some coaches across the league are facing a reduction in wages and benefits during the lockout, including those employed by the Buffalo Bills, who have suspended pension payments and cut wages for all employees while the lockout is in effect.

"These income reductions are occurring amid the burdens of mortgage payments, tuition, and other life costs that do not wait for the NFL to end its lockout," the filing said.

Coaches have already lost several minicamps and the ability to institute their valued offseason workout programs, both of which get many players together starting in mid-May to prepare themselves physcially and mentally for the upcoming season. Coaches rely on those programs to get on the same page with their players, institute new playbooks or tweaks to their existing schemes and make sure that players are ready for the rigors of training camp that await in August.

All of that has been put on hold during the labor dispute over how to divvy up $9 billion in revenue. Mediation has been unsuccessful while each side waits to be handed some kind of leverage through the courts, meaning no minicamps, organized team activities or group workouts in front of coaches.

"Preparation is a coach's currency, and coaches rely heavily on the offseason to prepare their players for the season," the NFLCA said. "If the NFL's lockout denies coaches the necessary time with players, coaches will be significantly more limited in their ability to prepare their teams and to prove their value as coaches."

The NFLCA said no amount of financial damages could compensate for the time lost this offseason, so they asked the 8th Circuit to uphold Judge Susan Richard Nelson's injunction of the lockout to allow the players and coaches to get back to work.

"Failure at an early stage of one's career, however, can falter career aspirations for many subsequent years," the filing said. "A lockout will significantly impinge on coaches' opportunities to prove themselves and will increase the likelihood that they will suffer failure they can neither avoid nor overcome."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    So one union/trade association has sided with another union/trade association? ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING!

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And why shouldn't they?........ they are being adversely impacted by the lockout as well.

Your knee jerk response hardly does justice to their argument...... #imjustsaying.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    or in other words, they are not getting a full paycheck. WWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Are they having to sell season tickets? lol!

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    FU Owners!!!!!! You caused this mess, I hope you all get screwed over

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Neither am I - haven't for over 2 yrs. Now I have contractors buying equipment instead of paying me for work completed. Got a few tears for me?

8. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I didn't say they shouldn't support each other. I showed my lack of being shocked by such a predictable development.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The millionaires had nothing to do with it, right? It's all the fault of the multi-millionaires.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    What about the billionaires?......... don't they share any blame? ;)

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I was being modest. "multi-millionaires" was referring to the billionaires.

The point is, the players' hands are hardly clean in this.

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If the players don’t like it, let them go join another league. The owners are the ones who to pay for everything. It’s the players who want first class accommodations everywhere they go. I wonder what it costs to take a team to the east coast for a game. I mean who pays for the Airplane, hotel, meals, and buses. It’s the players who make millions and want a retirement package. It’s the players who want everything handed to them.

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    its both sides, and we the fans are getting the short end of it.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    LOL....... "the owners pay for everything"....... if only that were true.

If that was the case, then the Spanos family would just go ahead and build that stadium downtown and be done about it. Fact is, they don't pay for everything..... not even close. Without cities giving them land and helping build their stadiums (and TV networks giving them billions to broadcast games), they wouldn't be enjoying their big profits.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    How were you being "modest"?....... it's not your money. You were downplaying the difference.

To be precise, 16 of the 32 owners are billionaires...... that's exactly half. Alex Spanos is one of them. ;)

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and it was thier money who bought the teams.

If you bought a business, would you not want to see some sort of profit on it?

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did the players opt out of the CBA? No. Did the players refuse to negotiate prior to the owners opting out? No. Did the players impose a lockout? No

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There are no real leagues, which the NFL knows about and is why they have an anti-trust exemption. Without that, they wouldn't be allowed to have a monopoly like they have now

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If I bought a business, I would have competition and would need to compensate my employees enough that they didn't jump ship to the competition. The NFL has ZERO competition. So to even compare the 2 is utterly ridiculous

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    To equate their original businesses to the "business" of owning an NFL team is a gargantuan stretch. In the "real world", the owners faced true business competition, not the sheltered country club environment of the NFL. The players were right to call it a cartel, because that in essence if what it is.

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Let the players go find another league if they want. It is a free country. No one says they have to play Football to make money.

You do not hear any E-1's in Basic Training complaining about how much money they make.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    they cant go up to Canada?

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Nope, but they also don't face a pay cut half way into their enlistment. That is what the players are going through. Plus, with the league having an anti-trust exemption, they have ZERO competition

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And that is competition? They have to leave the country to find competition? You have got to be kidding

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You really don't get it, do you? The players are the workers, and the product...... they are one and the same.

They aren't nameless factory workers turning out widgets for a corporation. The NFL is nothing without the players...... they are the product.

26. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    But if the shoe were on the other foot, and the players felt like they got the short end of the last negotiations, you think there's ANY chance they wouldn't have exercised their option to opt out? Let's not paint them as the poor mistreated victims here.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You keep saying that, but someone could start a new league tomorrow, and all current NFL players would have the option of going there to play. The NFL has no competition right now because they are the biggest and the best. They have the fans, the teams, the rivalries, the history. NO upstart league can compete with all of that, and that's why they all fail. Let's not act like the anti-trust exemption is a more important factor than all of those other things.

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, the NFL needs players, but it doesn't have to be the current set of players. If all of the current players disappeared, the NFL would continue with some new players. Eventually, new stars would emerge, Steelers vs Browns would still be Steelers vs Browns, the NFL would go on just like they did when every other past player called it a career.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Your scenario is rather farfetched though. If the NFL replaced all the players, they would have a very substandard product, and their loss of revenue would be very considerable. The health of the league would be severely compromised. Such an event would not occur, of that, you can be certain.

30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I hope you all don’t think that I am taking the owners side on this, because I am not. I am thoroughly disgusted in this whole ordeal. I blame both parties equally in this. I have been down this road before as a season ticket holder, and it was no fun then as much as it is now. I went through the strike where they put the scabs out on the field, and that was no fun. I told myself then that I was not going to do it again. I want the 2011 season as much as anyone else. I will pay off my season tickets tonight if they told me all of this was over. I would pay the prepaid parking plan also! I want to get into that parking lot and drink a cold one waiting for the game. I miss the comrade in the parking lot. I miss the smell of three dozen barbeques all going at the same time. I miss the cat calls at the opposing team, and I miss the anticipation of kickoff. I am ready for some football and there is nothing on the horizon.