1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion for Chargers (if black outs occur)...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    "Chargers chief operating officer Jim Steeg, who said earlier this month that "blackouts are likely," said his organization will "think outside the box and pull out all the stops" to sell tickets, according to the report."

In the past to avoid black outs, they would offer free tickets to fire departments, police stations, military, etc. That's good and could still do that.

Here's another idea... free tickets for community service. They can start a day project to cleaning beaches and/or parks. Volunteers will get a free ticket at the end of the day.
    Imagine the media coverage that would get!!! The media will make the Spanos family out to be community heros and that would really get politicians moving on plans for a stadium!!!

Another idea would be free tickets to foster homes. Have something like "if you make a certain grade at the end of a semester, you're going to a game." That would possibly get nation wide attention... or at least get on ESPN.

That way, not only would that take care of blackouts but the volunteers and children will buy sodas, beers, food, souvenirs... as well as pay for parking or trolley.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Those tickets given to the military, police and fireman are most often purchesed by a local business for that purpose.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    They should pony up tixs for the Chula Vista Park View Little League and a few thousand friends & family. Honor the little tykes at halftime

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yes, I know those tickets are paid for.
    This would be an experiment. Another thing you could do is ask a radio station to come there, play music, and cover it on their station. That's free. I know because I've done this before.

As for money for the tickets... Talk to business about some commercial deals. Like during the radio coverage, they'll say something like "we'd like to thank Seau's, Big Tire, ect. for their community support and making this possible." And at that game they could make an announcement of that on audio at the end of each quarter.

The Baltimore Stallions did this when they had very little to work with and it was very affective.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    There is a reason why the economy is headed south, and that pinch is being felt eveywhere.

Blackouts are going to become the norm around here for awhile now. I have a ticket to the game. And unless things change, this might be my last season. Financially its getting really hard to come up with the money. I have a family of 5 to support. You wanna know what the food bill alone is every month?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Just got off the phone with Jen in the Media Dept.

She sees the PR value in sponsoring community service based tickets. Unfortunately, the team already sponsors their quota of donated tickets which she lead me to believe was a signifigant number. The Police, Firemen, Foster Care Programs and Military are direct donations by the team and the players.

The concessions and parking proceeds belong to the city, with a small percentage going to the Chargers.

7. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    About $1,200 a month if yours eat like mine. :icon_eek:

And the beer bill to deal with the depression that sets in after you go shopping is another $30.00 a week. :icon_toast:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yes... I'm in survival mode and I know many have it worse. Especially those with kids.

Though I'm thinking of ways that the Chargers can make things happen in rough times and excel in better times.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What I think a lot of people are forgetting is you are not just asking the Chargers to give away money. They do that, quite a bit. But the other team gets a share of the 'gate'. They would have to agree to it as well.

It is not just a simple thing of the Chargers eating profits...

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Right there with you... :tdown:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yes. My suggestion is not the end all solution... but a starting point. Like Jim Steeg said his organization will "think outside the box."
    That's what I'm doing. Yes... I know that I don't work for the Chargers and that my ideas don't matter but this is just forum discussion.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Hopefully after a Raider beatdown tickets will start selling. I'd imagine we're probably 5,000 or fewer from selling out each game.

5k x $100 = $500,000 x 8 = $4 Million.

Maybe we should ask Rivers to cover it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :lol:

In all seriousness tho... if I could afford it I would buy tickets to every game until the end of time, I'm just tapped out. I make less than I deserve but it's a job so for now I'm staying put, Nothing left in savings, I've been working so hard for 2 years now to pay down my credit debt so I just can't justify racking up more... the extra 200-300 bucks a month for tickets/parking/gas just doesn't exist right now :(

One thing that would really help me, would be mini-ticket packages or 1/2 season tickets - like they have done in the past - maybe offer payment plans where you don't have to pay one lump sum.... I dunno... the Chargers need the money too, I mean if we expect a competitive team on the field we need to do our part too. They already do sooo much for the community in the way of free tickets and charity work, it's not like the Bolts are trying to screw people out of their cash.

The NFL needs to seriously reconsider the black-out rules, at least in the short-term. People are losing their homes, their 401k's, why punish them for not wasting their money on football tickets?? Don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

14. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I would love to go to a game live. But it would cost me about 5% of my ANNUAL GROSS Salary for one game. I don't make much right now, but I am getting by just fine. I just do not have much for extras.

15. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I have hade season tix for 5 years but this will probably be my last due to the economy. unlike everyone else who thinks the bolts have done such a great job of helping the community, I think they have abondoned the fans who actually pay to see them, yes business' cannot afford to buy tix, but the true fans who pay from their own pocket got the shaft. 3 payments instead of one, big deal, $25 parking NOT A BREAK FROM LAST YEARS PRICES, $8 beers, I CANNOT AFFORD IT NO LONGER, I will support it from home next year. I now wish I learned earlier that the bolts were not going to give us a break on atlest concession, The Comissioner said expect blackouts and he thinks its because preseason games or not counted, get a clue noone has money.:tdown:

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    How so? The prices are the same this year as the were last. The y have been raising the price tag every single year for the past 5, so IMO not raising them again is pretty sweet.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    But see, we are discussing it. That's the point. Good on ya for starting this thread.:tup:

As for me, I made my last payment one week before my wife was laid off.

Had I known what the fate of her job was, I probably would have given up my seats.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I had season tickets for five years before I moved to Washington, and I had trouble justifying the price even though I was single! I pity you guys who have to try and budget season tickets amongst all the family stuff.

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I had season tickets for a number of years even though I haven't lived in San Diego since 1981. Last year I was on the fence but ended up getting them. The Chargers season ticket office pissed me off, and some friends who I normally tailgate with didn't get theirs, so this year I decided not to get them.

At first it kind of killed me, but now I am at peace with it. It will save me a lot of money, 5+ hours of driving round trip to each game, and a lot of time. Now, on game days I'll roll into my local sports bar, hang out with my friends, and probably spend less on food and drinks than I would just on parking. And I won't have to put up with all of the dickheads that make going to a game live less fun.

I'm sure I will miss going to some degree, but I still plan to get to 2 or 3 games anyway, and maybe use the money I am saving to go on more road trips.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I believe the little league team will be honored at the first home game.

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I've got third-row 50 yard line seats for the Toreros... I'm good.

22. BOLT POWER

Ratings:
    +13
    hey, ride the lightning. That is my point, your glad because they didn't raise prices (dah, if they did they would lose another 20% of ticket holders, For sure 2 of mine would be out there) Why do you think there's going to be blackouts? You obviosly must have enough money or job security not to worry but just look and ask around when bills must be paid entertainment must go first, even the Padres figured that out with their Deals, the Bolts might wnat to do the same :icon_evil:

23. BOLT POWER

Ratings:
    +13
    Since I'm from OC I was looking at UCLA season tickets for next year they Start At $100. With that I can even take the entire family:abq1:

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah but then you would have to deal with the Rose Bowl distance and traffic. You should consider the USD Toreros. Gorgeous campus and stadium, cheap seats, and the team is pretty darn good to. About an hour drive from Irvine.