1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl in London?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    WTF!??! :tdown:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3065254

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    What is this, a damned joke? I hope they're kidding.
    But I know they aren't.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Fuggin' tea and crumpets tailgate?

Worst food I ever had was in London. Good thing the beer is basically a meal replacement.

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think is just a stupid idea! I know that Goodell wants to expand to more international markets but this would be the wrong way of doing it.

Granted it only took 90 minutes to sell 40k seats for the game at Wembley. Get back to me after several years of doing it and see if there is as much interest.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This IS a joke!!!
    "NFL" is about as big over there as soccer is here!!!
    Why do you think the stadiums for "NFL Europe" are empty?!!!

I wore a Chargers t-shirt in London and people were pointing at me and saying "that's not football!!!"

Though I guess they'll pack it full of celebrities and it might get some media attention.
    Bottom line... NFL is NOT soccer!!!!

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This would kick ***! We should also hold the World Series at a neutral site in Mexico!!

7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This is really no good Superbowl idea. It belongs to the States.

some normal games abroad could be a good idea, but not

the highlight of the season.

8. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Why don't we just have the Tour de France in Nebraska next year? Goddam stupidest idea I ever heard of. Goodell needs to put down his marketing textbook and get some fresh air.:tdown:

9. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I really don't understand why the NFL has such a hard on for going out of the country. It's just to get more money, I have to assume. You can't really have teams flying to Europe to play a game. Although, the jackasses in charge now seem to be leaning that way. Nice, we pay for season tickets and then they play in Japan. WTF?

Do they ever ask the fans what the hell WE think? No.... they see F-ing dollar signs.

This infuriates me. Keep the teams playing in their home stadiums where people have forked over huge amounts in tax dollars and season ticket fees in order to watch their teams. If they want to export any of our sports, try taking that NASCAR joke of a sport out of the country. YEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Excellent post....... I concur fully.

The odd regular season game maybe, Superbowl, pull the other one. :lol: