1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SUPER BOWL - Thoughts, Predictions, Discussion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lance19, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Well, I must say, as much as Super Sunday is one of my favorite
    3 or 4 days of the year, I'm not quite feeling it as much this year.

Obviously, the fact that the Chargers were out of it so long ago is a major factor.

I also notice that the list of teams I dislike (and thus want to see lose) grows longer
    with age (Rex's mouth, etc.).

But I think the main reason for lesser enthusiasm this year is that I just don't see
    any team truly worthy of "World Champion" this year.

Giants? Yes they're fairly hot now, but the '9ers lost yesterday's game more than
    the Giants won it. And for God's sake, this is a team that was 7-7 in late December.
    Not exactly the '85 Bears, here, folks.

And the Pats? Over 411 yards of offense given up per game?
    Hell, the freakin' COLTS gave up 370! (Yeah, I know ypg isn't a perfect measurement,
    but even by ppg the Pats are still barely mediocre).
    I'm not saying that whoever wins on the 5th doesn't deserve it...
    it's just that I can't get excited about any of these options.

2011 seems to lack not only a great team...it doesn't seem to even have a very, very good one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Who Cares? I don't either team to win. :cool:

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    This time of year has only generated excitement in my skeleton once. I feel the same every year and pretty much just look forward to crunchy spicy salty snacks that don't exist that occupy my mind when I think of a super bowl party. Sure the food is always good, but never what I have a hungering for.

I often compare the teams in the big game to the chargers, man for man, stats for stats, where we would have an advantage blah blah blah, but the two teams that play in the super bowl did what it took to get there so all that nonsense is just mindless jabber.

I think the Giants can beat the Patriots, maybe cuz they did it in a sb before, but I was hoping the giants were the one to face off vs brady after the afcc game was over.

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    It's difficult to root for New England because of all their success, and not to mention their obnoxious transplant fans in SD. It's hard to root for Eli for the sake of comparison to Rivers and SB wins. (Along with him not wanting to come to SD, spoiled rich kid)

However, the last time they met up, I found myself rooting for the Giants, as I didn't want to see the Pats go 19-0. This time, I really don't care, just hope for a good game, I guess I'll find out once the game gets going if I favor either team. :poop:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
  6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I think you some words there

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Damn Lancealot, no team being "a worthy World Champion" ??? ................seriously !!!

Pack at 15/2, Saints at 13/4, 49er's at 14/4, Ravers at 13/5, Pats at 15/3, those records aren't worthy !.................I guess we have a different understanding of the word "worthy" then.

Maybe its just blind homerism or the unwillingness to accept the fact that our own boys can't compete with the likes of these teams, that unfairly clouds your ability to judge the situation objectively ?

No matter which it is though, there WILL be a team worthy of being called "World Champions" crowned in a few weeks time and I bet their fans couldn't give a rats arse whether others think they are worthy or not, the history books alone will prove them correct on that matter.

Just as a matter of interest ..................what would you say to an opposition fan who questioned a Charger SB win as unworthy ?

*** Rhetorical question by the way, I already know the answer to that one mate. ;)

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    No worries........ both the Slacker and the Fumbler made the Pro Bowl this year.

[​IMG]

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I still have my shirt that I wore to "The GAME" it says "ELI SUCKS", and I still believe in it. I could care less who wins this Super Bowl this year, because no matter which Quarterback hoists the Lombardi I am going to have a deep empty feeling in my stomach. I think I will enjoy the commercials more. I wonder what the odds in Vegas of both Quarterbacks going down in the game are?

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I didn't say "those records aren't worthy," I said the teams weren't.
    In a year with a lot of mediocre, flawed teams, some will still win 12 or 14 games.
    Yes, mid-way through the season I thought the Pack might be a great team.
    But they lost to the Chiefs, had a third-rate D, and went 1 and done in the playoffs.
    If that is the mark of a great team, to you, we just have very different definitions.

Also, I have no idea on what the "homerism" charge is supposed to be based. As much as I'd have
    liked the Chargers to get in at 8-8 and run the table, yes, I WOULD have always valued it less
    than if the team had had a much better season. Whether the winning team's fans consider it
    less than stellar I neither addressed nor care. I stated why I am less than enthusiastic this year.

Lastly, you claim that--no matter what--since the Giants or Pats WILL be labelled "World Champions"
    that that somehow proves that they're worthy of that lofty title. If my kid's 7-5 soccer team wins
    the AYSO title, it doesn't mean it's a great, or even real good team. It just means SOMEONE gets the trophy.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Amen. Never thought I'd pull for that weasel Eli, but the 19-0 b.s. became unbearable...

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Sadly, there is no way for both teams to lose. I will have a house full of my "usual suspects" watching the game on the big screen....I may stay in the back yard with the grill and try to pick off gophers with a pellet gun instead!
    Patriots vs Giants....Ugh!

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    But weren't those "teams" responsible for those "records" throughout the year ???

How can a teams record NOT be related directly to its worth ?

Packers have ONE bad performance in 16 and are beaten by the hottest team going in football during the PO's, so their 15/2 isn't a true reflection of their entire year ? :confused:
    Also that "third rate D" managed to do enough to amass that 15/2 record, but I guess that counts for nothing also.

You are correct on one issue though, we DO have very differing opinions of what defines a "a great team".

Now c'mon, if the Chargers ever win a Superbowl, the last thing you, me or the neighbours retarded goldfish are going to be concerned about, is how deserving we are because of a so-so regular season record..................if 1-15 gets a ring sometime in the future I'll be more than happy to sprout to the world how good we are to be crowned World Champions.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Look, I won't speak for you...you can decide for yourself how YOU would feel.
    I've been following this team for over 40 years, and I'm real clear on how I feel:
    Yes, watching Rivers hold up that Lombardi trophy under any conditions would be nice...
    but no, an 8-8 season is NOT the way I want it to happen. It's an asterisk of sorts.
    I'd still be waiting for a season in which they were clearly an elite team.

No, I can't remember a season in which not one team team impressed me as great. Until now.
    All the teams you mentioned had good seasons in a sea of mediocrity. None was great.
    The brilliance of Aaron Rodgers made the Pack look very powerful for a while. But
    that D was statistically among the worst ever, and it took merely one playoff game for
    the illusion to fade. All the teams you mentioned collected quite a few wins despite major
    deficiencies (like 49ers always settling for FGs). But I'm not impressed with any of them.
    Hell, the Ravens could be in there, and Norv's 8-8 underachievers destroyed them.
    And now we're left with 2 teams that played so-so yesterday.
    I'm with Cheapseats: I wish both teams could lose. And Hell, if the rules allowed it, they likely would!

• Like Like x 1
  15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Not "worthy" Blew ??? :)

How dare an Englishman have the audacity to question such a lofty honour for our boy's !!! :whistling:

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well Thanks for that and I'll be sure to give that some real thought if it should ever happen.

I'm a 32 year Charger-tragic myself, so both of us have been through the ringer on more than the odd occasion no doubt.

You honestly do sound like a man that is hardpressed to please though (please don't take that as a critisism, its just merely an observation).

Anyone who enjoys "football in general" and didn't enjoy those games yesterday that you've called "so-so", has some lofty standards that I'd personally find impossible to attain.
    I can't recall a game where 2 defences played so hard, for so long and refused to give an inch, as the Giants and Niners "D" did yesterday.

I'd be interested to hear as to what made them so.... "so-so" in your opinion Lance, as I found them both to be as good as two Championship games could possibly get. (sans the obvious female streakers ofcourse, which has been dormant for far to long and needs to be resurrected ASAP)

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    He's actually Welsh........ Born in Pembrokeshire, Wales. How can you go against the Corgis? ;)

[​IMG]

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378

I really do wonder who's side your on sometimes !!!

He's a nasty piece of work regardless of where he was laid, is that better ?

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You didn't care for his attempt to contact the Chinese dissident?.......... too showy? ;)

20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Say whaaaaa ???

He's a Commie too ???

Thats just not right, Batman can't be a Commie .................can he ?

21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Feb 5th sounds like a good day to go to Magic Mountain or Disneyland...

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You do know what the word dissident means, don't you? ;)

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Well, I couldn't take "hardpressed to please" as a criticism...since I have no idea what you mean by it.

Also, you're kind of bending my words again. I never said that yesterday's games weren't entertaining...
    they were. But a game between two 7-9 teams can also be quite entertaining. My point was that
    (in addition to the numerous cited shortcomings of each of the teams) neither the Giants nor
    the Pats truly outplayed their competition yesterday...both needed a fair amount of luck
    to advance...hardly the great level of play one hopes to see going into the biggest game of the year
    (Hell, Brady was APOLOGIZING for his sub-standard play...and Cundiff racked his brain to explain
    shanking a routine field goal..his terrible kick was good drama, but bad football).
    Bottom line: I'll still watch the game...'cause I'm an addict. But this year there will probably be more chat
    with the gal-pal about commercials, etc. than focusing on who will be named
    "World Champion" of this powerhouse-free season.

Your mileage may vary.

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well ofcourse, but I 'aint falling for that one, didn't you see Richard Gere in "Red Corner" ?

Those Chinese aren't to be trusted under any circumstances ! ;)

25. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I dont really give a hoot who wins. Didnt think we would be seeing Eli in another Superbowl to be honest. Im gonna sit on the fence with regards the game, but predict that Madonna has some sort of wardrobe malfunction.

26. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    See how much I care, I can't even be bothered to type all the words. :p

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There's a SB this year?

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont care, the two teams I care the least about are in it... Time to go do something with the family.

• Like Like x 1
  29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Chances are, I won't watch it.

30. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You guys are too funny...I'll come in here on game day, and you guys will all be whining about something. ;)