1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Super-Charger Alworth’s jersey finally on ice in San Diego

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 25, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    <blockquote>Source: Pro Football Weekly

By Jerry Magee

You likely are not going to understand this, being as young as you are, but, being older, I can testify to it. Nostalgia becomes more dear to you the older you become.

Just now, I am awash in it. The Chargers have gotten around to retiring Lance Alworth's number, and in my mind, I am going back to those years I remember so fondly, when there was something called the American Football League and Alworth was lending it style and class and everything the National Football League for a time said the AFL did not possess.

Lance Alworth! An unusual individual in many ways. He had the waist of a ballerina, an upper body that was as slender as a reed and heavily muscled legs that seemed out of line with the rest of him. How he could leap! No one could operate on a muddy field as he could (though Bears great Gale Sayers came close); he just seemed to skim across the goo.</blockquote>
    <a href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/San+Diego/Features/2005/magee2020.htm" target="_blank"><strong>
    Article Link</strong></a>