1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SuperBowl or Bust?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Jan 22, 2011.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Do you see it has a SuperBowl or Bust season next year or not? Please explain why.

2. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I think it has to be for Norv and AJ.

I dont think even a return to the playoffs is enough to exonerate them for last season as it will mean just getting the team back to the position they were before!

AJ needs to fall on his sword as he pinned his reputation to Norv after the Marty Schot fiasco and it has got the team nowhere. There needs to be a fresh approach in San Diego after next season if it does not end with a trip to the superbowl.

4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    1. Your question doesn't make sense.
    2. This thread is unnecessary.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    To me as a new and young fan, I would have to say since 2006, it has been SB or bust every year. Unfortunatly all bust as it turns out to this date.

I as a rational fan dont see this last year as anything close to a bust. Great O overall Great D overall. 2006 we were Sack leaders and avg at INTs in the next season the stats flipped and we had better pics than Sacks per game. Then 08 and 09 came around. Both were really just flat years. This year we got back to our sack stat dominance range. Not too bad on Ints either. Could have been better, but so could the turnover margin.

SB or SSDD.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Super Bowl is so hard to get to now days, the whole idea of "Super Bowl or Bust" seems like childish nonsense.

The Patriots were deadlock favorites to win it all...they go one and done.
    he Saints get knocked off by the Seahawks, yet we all know who the better team actually is.
    The Jets played like **** half the year barely scratching out wins against DEN, HOU, DET, and CLE. They were lucky not to go 6-10..yet they're still alive.
    The Bears had the worst O-line on earth half the year, Cutler is a brainless dunce, they have no legitimate WRs...yet they're in the NFCC game.
    The Packers put more players on IR than any team in the NFL....yet they're in the NFCC game.

Not to mention our Chargers, the embodiment of unerachievment. A complete cupcake schedule, top 3 in scoring, #1 in offense, #1 in defense, #1 in sacks most of the season.........miss the playoffs entirely.

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I dont think the statement "Superbowl or bust" means that all is lost! It just means that this regime or AJ, Norv and co may end. Does that mean the end of the Chargers? no.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We have an excellent GM. Leave him the hell alone.

We have a coach who lacks disciplined teams and can't manage the two minute clock but is an offensive genius.

If we miss the playoffs in 2011 the coach must go.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The last 3-4 years of drafts do not back up that statement

10. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I thought 2010 was the Superbowl or bust year?

Why the hell didn't you guys fire AJ and Norv? Slackers.:confused:

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    There is pretty much universal agreement that the talent level on the SD Chargers has been at the very top of the league. Even this year there were players here that were capable of producing the number 1 offense and defense in the league simultaneously while an inordinate number of them were injured. I don't think the argument would go we got those rankings by the coaching overachieving.

The drafts have been average lately but not busts. The whole body of AJ's work has been very impressive.

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Re: #1 I thought so to at first. But scratchnz gave it some context with AJ and Norv. It's a fair question with answers that have been recycled regularly over the past few years.

IMO... Five years is enough to evaluate a coach. If we make the AFC Championship, play well, and lose to a good team that has some bounces to go their way, fine, keep Norv. But if we limp into the playoffs after a slow start and get knocked out before the Superbowl by a lesser team, well... it's Norv or Enormo. One of us has got to go. (Personally, I would have been more than happy if Norv was let go last year.)

AJ has put the team in good position with some missteps along the way (including Norv). English and Buster Davis in particular. Both were head scratchers at the time, both still head scratchers now. (I disagree that Merriman, Cason, or Matthews were missteps or obvious missteps. Cromartie is questionable. He was a known risk, a swing for the bleachers so to speak. I'm ok with that gamble. Others may not be.) As far as undrafted FAs. We have ProBowlers and near ProBowlers who have come out of nowhere. No one is better than AJ in that regard. For every first round gaff there has been one or more great UFA. That said, AJ has got to stop reaching in the draft.

The only way I say that AJ is let go is if it is his decision to keep Norv after another year of failure. A few mistakes are acceptable when adjustments are made. Willful ignorance is not. But how do we know if it was AJ or Dean Spanos making the call on Norv?

So, SB or bust for AJ and Norv? Not quite, but close.

13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    AJ can't take all the credit or critizism for drafting anyway! There will be a team of scouters and evaluators under AJ that are all getting intel on the draft prospects. AJ just takes the credit or the Critizism because he makes the final call!

AJ isn't a "draft-god" ...beware of worshipping false idols (((Tongue-in-cheek))))

14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    link? source? if you want facts rather than word of mouth from this forum full of people who want to drink ajs piss then look up all his first round picks, how much they played, compared to other GMs. then come back and say hes excellent

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    lol...

I WANT A TRILATERAL INVESTIGATIVE TEAM MADE UP OF INDEPENDENT EXPERTS FROM THE U.N., THE C.D.C., THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., AND THE X. FILES TO EMPIRICALLY PROVE THAT AJ IS "EXCELLENT" AS DEFINED BY THE WAYS AN MEAN COMMITEES OF THREE COUNTIES INCLUDING SAN DIEGO COUNTY, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, AND HAZARD COUNTY TO BE JUDICIATED AND CHAIRED BY NEWT GINGRICH, BOSS HOG, JABBA THE HUT, AND ONE OTHER OBESE MAGISTRATE OF MY CHOSING BY DECEMBER 9, 2012 HERETOFORE TO BE SWARN IN ON THE U.S.S. ENTERPRISE BY NONE OTHER THAN STEPHEN HAWKING AND MARSHALLED OVER BY BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!

ANYTHING LESS WILL BE CONSIDERED HERESY IN THIS COURT OF SCIENCE AND FOOTBALL!

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The source is me. Clearly such a statement is my opinion.

Just look at our nearest neighbors in Denver and Oakland. Wow, those have been marvelous drafts for those guys haven't they? I think such a review would clearly show the Bolts have been average in draft picks sticking with the club over the last three years.

But your are linky expert so please show us your data.

17. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378

So as long as #17 healthy and ready to go. A super bowl is the only thing that to me will allow Norv and AJ to come back. AFC West Champs? Wild card? Forget about it. Get in by any means necessary and win out. So as long as 17 is healthy their will be no more excuses.

18. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    2004 and 2005 drafts would be the only time I would agree with you. Since then he's been mediocre to a average GM. He must keep he's word and if he doesn't needs to hit the road.

19. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    LOL!!!

20. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

I agree 100% good stuff u threw out

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Cuz a single player can win a superbowl.

22. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    No a single player can not win a superbowl. But if Rivers is out the expectations will be down a lot. Thus there will be a excuse of Norv and Co. With Rivers and few other all stars a superbowl is the only thing that will keep Norv in town.