1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Surprise 2009 Big Impact Performers Predictions...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, May 10, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Anyone want to call his shot on who will step up to have a big impact OTHER THAN LT or Merriman.

IMO an all but forgotten man on this team who may be poised for a deadly season is Chris Chambers. I think Chris is another guy on this team who is flying REALLY low under the radar. He was another one of our many vets last year who was plagued by injuries. Consider that he got injured in week 5 and really wasn't himself the rest of the season. Up to that point, he had already accumulated 5 TDs.

I'm not saying that Chambers is going to rip up the league...or even lead the Chargers in receiving yards, or TDs....but I think a lot of people around the league are looking at him as a complete non-factor. He's got a few things going for him going into this year that indicate that he could be a huge matchup problem in this offense.

1. He is now in his 3rd year and second TC with the Chargers. He has developed a solid rapport with PR and the two are completely on the same page with route running and tendencies.

2. Vincent Jackson emerged as the number 1 WR for the Chargers last year and will draw much more attention than he has previously. While teams will likely put their #1CB on VJ, Chambers will be left to be covered by the #2...and sometimes nickel corner depending upon how teams cover Gates.

3. He is in a contract year. That extra motivation certainly doesn't hurt.

4. He has been a pro-bowl superstar WR on an offense before with no legitimate QB, where he had to carry an offense. He certainly isn't lacking in confidence.

5. Great 3rd down and red zone threat for us. Basically McCardell (at the time we acquired him) on steroids in terms of talent at his current age.

I don't think Chris is washed up. I think, like LT, Gates and Merriman, injuries derailed him temporarily and significantly cut down his stats. What might make Chris especially dangerous is that teams are looking to see what LT and Merriman will do carefully.....No one is even talking about or considering Chambers.

Side note....Does this offense have a TON of weapons or what? Good gawd. We led the AFC in scoring last year....Imagine what this group can do when healthy.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree Chambers is flat out dangerous and nobody will really be really focusing on him. He was hurt last year and I know he is a flat out baller when healthy. Just replay that circus catch 2 years ago in Jacksonville not to mention 2 seasons before that when he was on Miami and he torched US for a couple of TDs. I really like CC and also feel he is going to have a comeback season.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Nate Kaeding and Mike Scifres both of them will elevate our kicking game to the highest level.

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    you mean the 2005 season? Here is a nice highlight package from that year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Agreed. Next up, Eric Weddle.
    Weddle lead the team in tackles mostly because the front seven were not getting to the running backs and short-field receivers. With Merriman needing more attention the linebackers, mainly Cooper and Philips (possibly Burnett/Wilhelm/Dobbins/whoever) will start to get those tackles and Weddle will be playing further off. I believe we will then see why A.J. Smith drafted him as he makes sure interceptions and prevents balls from reaching the wide outs. Look for Weddle to step up and cause problems for quarterbacks all year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Vaughn Martin. He starts by week 8 and wrecks havoc upon our opponents O-line.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    This one is pretty unlikely given how raw martin is.....but IF your prediction comes to fruition, our defense will be seriously scary.

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Got one on offense and one on defense for ya:
    D - Larry English
    O - Legadu Naanee

Teams will double Merriman and by mid-season English should be finding his way to the opposing QB's. Naanee has the tools and with teams trying to cover VJ and Gates, it may open him up underneath.

Is it September yet?

Go Chargers!!!!
    :flag:

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Darren Sproles

This year, Norv will be looking for-- and creating-- opportunities for Sproles, game in and game out.

That didn't happen until later in the season in 2008, but WILL be going on from Day One this year.

10. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I want to say Luis Castillo, but I have the feeling that he may be asked to simply plug the hole and stop the run then do anything amazing. Don't get me wrong, that is very valuable, but it won't make many headlines. If him and Jamal can stop up the middle and side, then our OLB core can go to town.

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That's a good call. Chambers is only 30 years old, he's got plenty left in the tank.

Having a healthy Antonio Gates is another plus; that will have a positive impact on all of our WR's.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Has anyone heard of how LT is doing in his rehab of his torn tendon in his groin?

He did not have surgery and I was wondering if anyone has heard how the rehab is going.

Here is someone that has to step up from last year.

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I agree about Chambers. He'll make a huge impact this season.

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm going to go with Castillo. He will stay healthy this year and record 10+ sacks.

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Seems like LT is completely healthy. Here's an article from the North County Times:

CHARGERS NOTES: Tomlinson passes his post-injury test

By JAY PARIS - Staff Writer | Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:07 PM PDT ∞

SAN DIEGO ---- The pass was tight and on target.

Another offering from Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers? Nope, it was No. 21 sending the football into the air.

"He threw a good ball,'' coach Norv Turner said of LaDainian Tomlinson's heave.

Tomlinson didn't quite connect with receiver Chris Chambers, as the spiral was broken up by safety Clinton Hart. But the sight of Tomlinson on the field was cause for celebration at Chargers Park.

Some thought that Tomlinson's days in Chargers blue were coming to an end when the parties haggled over a reconstructed contract this offseason. But Tomlinson and the Chargers found common ground, which left the incomparable Tomlinson on the Chargers' grounds Sunday.

Tomlinson looked like his old self. He was running, cutting, spinning and making defenders miss as the team completed its three-day minicamp.

Tomlinson was unable to play in the Chargers' final playoff game last season with a groin injury. But he showed no signs of being anything but fit.

"No, I wasn't restricted and I did everything,'' said Tomlinson, who was also slowed by a toe injury in 2008. "Of course you are always concerned because it is the first time back on the field and especially after being injured. But I wasn't restricted at all; it was great.''

Tomlinson's sprinting on the field was no surprise to Turner.

"L.T. looks great,'' Turner said. "He has been out here running for a month, so he didn't show me anything different.''

It's always a show when Tomlinson is scampering about. He couldn't hide his glee that he was working pain-free.

"It's just good to get out and run around again,'' Tomlinson said.� "And be healthy.''

And about that pass? Tomlinson is due to get back to winging it after not having an attempt last season. Tomlinson, who is the 14th on the NFL's all-time rushing list, also has the second-most scoring passes by a non-quarterback in NFL history.

But he hasn't had one since the first week of the 2007 season. And Tomlinson longs for at least one more touchdown completion to give him eight, which would tie him with one of his idols, Chicago's Walter Payton.

"We're working on it,'' Tomlinson said of persuading Turner to call it.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, that was awesome. CC is just a flat out BALLER. I love his work ethic and professionalism. I know Miami fans said he made too many drops, but who could focus when that team was SO bad? Dude made a serious impact when he first came here and I predict he will redeem himself this season. :yes: