1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Suspicions persist that Rivers is playing hurt

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 26, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Suspicions persist that Rivers is playing hurt

Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2011, 10:54 AM EST
    During last night’s episode of NBC SportsTalk, Peter King predicted that, after the season ends, we’ll learn that Chargers quarterbackPhilip Rivers played for most if not all of the season with a previously concealed injury. Adam Schefter of ESPN echoed that sentiment this morning, pointing out that people around the league believe Rivers is playing hurt.
    But Rivers has denied it, and the team hasn’t supplied any injury information on its various reports.
    Of course, the hiding of injuries by NFL teams isn’t uncommon. Earlier this year, Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie claimed that the Chargers failed to disclose that he had a fractured hip in 2008.
    The league rarely nails a team for hiding injuries, absent glaring evidence that forces the NFL’s hand. For example, when then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre talked consistently about his undisclosed late-season arm injury during his only year with the Jets, the league office eventually had no choice but to hand out fines.
    So, basically, if Rivers and the Chargers are hiding an injury, it’s highly unlikely that anything will be done unless Rivers intentionally or accidentally confesses.
    Repeatedly.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't think he's injured, more like beat to hell from all the hits he's taken this year.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Wouldn't surprise me if he's got a cracked rib. He got nailed pretty hard in the Pats game, and hasn't looked the same throwing the ball since.

4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Something HAS to be bloody wrong with Rivers. He is NOT himself. He hasn't been himself almost all season.
    If he's not hurt, WTF is it? All those interceptions have to be caused by something. I don't buy "a lack of focus".

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I've worked with enough people in my nursing career to notice when someone lacks normal range of motion (ROM) in their joints, and I'd bet the rent that Philip's got some sort of nerve impingement in either his neck or right shoulder. I've been watching him closely the past few games, and he definitely has some limited ROM---he can't rear back all the way and let fly with the football like he used to. The problem is that denying such an issue exists only allows it to go on and damage the joint, and if he doesn't get things taken care of, it could end his career prematurely.

At this point, if I were Philip Rivers and the Chargers I would be asking myself honestly, how much worse can the season get if I sat out the rest of it and got myself healed up properly so I could come back strong next year?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^Hmmm, food for thought indeed... Then again, he could just be having a bad year and opposing defenses have figured out his throwing patterns...

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Not really....... he clearly looks different throwing the ball. His motion has changed. That's got nothing to do with opposing defenses.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers has always looked different throwing the ball. He is weird like that.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Different from his usual different...... #thatswhatimsaying ;)

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    meaning the end result is too often to the other team? ;)

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Yep, if only he was as inaccurate as Tebow...... then nobody would catch it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Agree with this. I think he got cracked in preseason and that hit in the Pats game made it worse.
    PR looks gun-shy. That **** doesn't just happen mentally to a competitor like PR.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If River's is inured in some way, and I don't think he is. He shouldn't be playing and Turner and the medical staff are to blame for allowing it to continue. I can agree with hurt up a bit but not injured, I haven't noticed any ratchet or hinge in his throwing motion. Maybe a lower back problem or deep bruise in the tib area where he can't get full motion of his hips into the throws. Truth is. I haven't got a fawking clue what, if anything is wrong with the boy!

14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Pure speculation. I've heard a story that says he's just adjusting to a set of contact lenses that brings up a "heads up display" on his corneas...prototype of a contact lens computer being worked on by Washington State University. So yeah, don't believe everything that you read. ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    It's not based on some article....... it's based on observation. Some of us around here have been commenting that Rivers doesn't look right.

16. AlphaB°lt

AlphaB°lt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok. Ya'll Didnt hear this from me.

Co-worker+Chargers Medical Staff Acquaintance=Philip Rivers has a torn rotator cuff (not clear whether it is a partial or full).

That is all. Take my word or not. Does not matter. Truth will be told after season during off-season.

17. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Don't most players play with injuries?

I think one of the problems for Rivers has been expectations. Some people were talking like it was just a question of when he would enter the Hall of Fame. People make QBs into some infallible super hero figure who they rest all their hopes on. I still think he can be a pretty good QB who can take this team where it needs but changes will have to be made around him. Obviously he was overpaid but I suppose all QBs are.

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Correct. But.... per NFL policy the team has to report injuries. We all know that this doesn't happen though.

19. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I know, but what I mean is QBs sometimes have to play with injuries like other players. Rivers has before such as at the end of the 06-7 season where he played well. Only really bad injuries (where he shouldn't actually be playing) should impact severely on performance.

I added to my previous post btw.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is playing with hurt feelings. He saw that Hexedbolt wants him traded.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Breese going to a new team worked pretty fair for him, just maybe it would be all that River's needs. See, there is more than one way to look at it!

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    An injured psyche is often more difficult to detect than a physical injury.
    If this is the case here, then we have little to worry about...Philip doesn't
    come across as someone that stays down very long. I still believe he will lead
    this team to the playoffs...and I'm not putting too much expectations on it (the playoffs).

23. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He is hurt in his brain. He needs a psychologist.

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's amazing the dude hasn't been hospitalized this year, never mind him still playing.

25. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    If he was hurt he should have stepped aside and healed up. I mean isn't that why the Chargers pay Volek? I don't think Rivers is hurt. I think it's a combination of Norv not being able to call any passing plays that don't require a slow qb with bad pocket presence to stay in the pocket for more than 4 seconds and bad decisions by Rivers.

26. SD Charger Fans in Austin

SD Charger Fans in Austin BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    He has looked off all season. I personally beleive that he has a mental distraction of some type. Not sure if its problems at home or what, but it doesnt appear physical to me. He has been making MENTAL errors. The Chargers season is pretty much over, so lets hope he gets it figured out before next season...

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe Rivers, along with others, has finally figured out that this FO doesn't really have the will to win a championship.

I know one thing - this sure isn't the guy that I watched at NC State or for the past few years here.

• Like Like x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I, like you Buck, can't help but believe there is more than what we're told going on internally. QB's like River's don't just turn to shyte overnight.

29. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    he is definitely playing injured. His throws are not as accurate and sometimes the ball sails. Also one thing this cat needs to work on is his mobility. Every time I see him try to get out of the pocket I cringe.

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    He also has zero throwing motion. It looks like he cant even step into a pass. It looks like Herman Munster playing QB.

• Like Like x 1