1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Take 2: Chargers vs. Raiders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 8, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +853
    I can't believe that they have the Faiders winning. :no:

From ESPN Insider

This game will mark the debut of San Diego QB Philip Rivers. It is hard to know how much of the offense he will have at his disposal because the Chargers obviously did not show everything in the preseason. A coach on their staff mentioned that Rivers has an excellent grasp of the system. The overall offense may be a little more conservative on game day, but offensive coordinator Cam Cameron won't feel there is anything in the playbook he can't call.

• Rookie SS Michael Huff will give the Raiders a lot of versatility. He is a solid athlete who can match up in coverage, which is a huge in the tight end-heavy AFC West. The Chargers' No. 1 target is TE Antonio Gates. The Raiders play almost exclusively man coverage. That means Huff will get matched up with Gates often. Huff will have a bit of an edge athletically, but Gates has more experience and is more physical. This will be a huge matchup Monday night and many more times down the road in this rivalry.

• Oakland center Jake Grove (shoulder) will likely be listed as questionable this week. It came as a surprise to many that Art Shell opted to go with Corey Hulsey instead of veteran Adam Treu when Grove was injured. Hulsey is one of the most powerful linemen on the Raiders' roster and Shell wants to establish a power run game. Even though the Raiders want to pound the ball a little more inside this season, they might try to stretch the field a little more by getting LaMont Jordan out on the edges.

• There is a lot of mystery regarding the Raiders' No. 2 WR spot. Jerry Porter is healthy, but he and the team are at odds. The Raiders could go to speedster Alvis Whitted, but he has shaky hands and has always been inconsistent. Ronald Curry has been extremely productive in the past, but his injured Achilles has been an issue. We are hearing that Whitted will be in line for more playing time this week, but don't count Porter out in terms of working his way back onto the field. Al Davis is about winning, and Porter gives them the best opportunity to do that.

• The Chargers have some serious issues at left tackle. Projected starter Roman Oben will start the season on the PUP list. Marcus McNeill broke his left hand and had surgery that slowed his development. The team thought about going with Leander Jordan, but he too has had some injury issues. For now the team will entrust the job of protecting Rivers' blind side to McNeill. Look for Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to throw multiple blitzers and stunts at the rookie.

• It is hard not to be impressed with the Raiders' LB group. Kirk Morrison looks like he has made a nice adjustment to playing in the middle. Rookie Thomas Howard can flat out fly. Sam Williams is coming off a knee injury in 2005 but had a solid camp. The one area of concern is discipline, and you can bet linebackers coach Don Martindale will be preaching about it this week. Look for the Chargers to use play-action and a lot of movement and motion to try to make Oakland's young linehacking corps to think instead of react.

• The loss of OLB Steve Foley will hurt San Diego's No. 1-ranked run defense. Shaun Phillips, who will replace Foley, has struggled to adjust to the 3-4 scheme as a stand-up outside linebacker. At times, the game seems to move too fast for him. He is primarily going to be a rush player, which suits his strengths. The run game is where he has some issues because he struggles to react quickly and gets behind the football. Phillips will give the Chargers a bigger body at the point of attack, but there is some concern that mental mistakes will hinder his ability to be a consistent run-down player.

• The Chargers' new-look secondary will definitely be put to the test this week. Offseason acquisition Marlon McCree is safety with coverage skills. First-round pick Antonio Cromartie did not win the starting cornerback job from Drayton Florence, but he will play in the nickel package. Cromartie is an excellent athlete, but he has never seen a receiver like Randy Moss. If the Raiders get some man coverage, which they will, look for them to work to get Moss matched up on Cromartie. He will get some help from the safety, but there is no receiver in the NFL who can split double coverage like Moss can.

Special Teams
    The injury to special teams standout Daren Sproles has affected both the return game and the cover units for the Chargers. Rookie Cletis Gordon might also miss the game. The Chargers could use Eric Parker as the punt return man, but the team is leery of his size and the potential of him wearing down.

Matchups
    • San Diego DC Quentin Jammer vs. Oakland WR Randy Moss
    • Oakland SS Michael Huff vs. San Diego TE Antonio Gates
    • Oakland ROT Langston Walker vs. San Diego LOLB Shawne Merriman
    • San Diego ILB Donnie Edwards vs. Oakland RB Lamont Jordan
    • San Diego LOT Leander Jordan vs. Oakland RDE Derrick Burgess

Scouts' Edge
    You don't want to put too much emphasis on one game, especially in Week 1, but we think this is a huge game for both teams. The Chargers return to the field after a rocky 2005 season that saw them miss the playoffs despite having as much talent as any team in the NFL. The Raiders are coming off an excellent preseason. It will be interesting to see how that carries over to the regular season.

For the Raiders it is all about stopping the run this week. Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson is the best in the NFL and it is very difficult to stop him. This is also an important home game for the Raiders because in terms of travel miles this team is No. 1 in the NFL. There could be a wear-down factor with their brutal schedule.

Raiders quarterback Aaron Brooks got better as the preseason went on. This is Rivers' first start, on the road and in an extremely hostile environment. For that reason, we like the Raiders in a mild upset.

Prediction: Raiders 24, Chargers 20

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It makes it that much sweeter when we ram it up the black hole.

~~ PAIN ~~​

3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

I am glad he posted it ..... :bolt:

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Oh I thought you meant cheap bastards like me got it for FREE again which pizzed you off. :icon_banana:

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Meh.

Charger/Raider games have nothing to do with records or how the teams look on paper. This is a grudge match, and history has told us that anything can happen when these two teams take it outside. It is curious that when discussing the Chargers linebackers, he only focused on Phillips. IMO, he is not much of a factor either way.

Chargers 24, Raiders 13

7. Teutonic13

Teutonic13 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    This article clearly had a Raider Bias-

The one intangible that they failed to mention in the article is our overall defensive intimidation. A few smack downs, a fumble or INT- will change the fabric of the game. Merriman should be HUGE in this game.

Way too much emphasis on Moss of 2006 (not to be confused with the Moss of 5 years ago). He may make a few spectacular plays- but once he gets frustrated- depend on him to decompensate.

The Sproles issue sucks a bit- because I expected much improvement this year- but it was an expectation- not a reflection of how he impacted our team last year. He had good and some very BAD moments- I expect that Parker will have more good than bad- and ya never know- they may throw somebody else in there to handle or assist with returns.

Shaun Phillips will do a better job in my opinion- than the lame assessment made in this article. He is faster- and hungry....

His backup however- maybe a weaker tandem than Foley/Phillips would have been.

I expect a low scoring game-

Chargers 17- Raiders 10

• Like Like x 1
  8. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I think they are forgetting that Aaron Brooks sucks...plain and simple.

He will be running around like a chicken with his head cut off, with merriman ready to squish him.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475
    They act like they Chargers wont becoming after ther Raiders either!

EVERY team in the NFL is pumped and confident in their first game of the season,EVERY team says they are gonna win because of their "new attitude." But "talent" has to figure in there somewhere too. And there is no question we have more talent than the Raiders.:icon_evil:

If determination got u everything in life then Clinton Hart would be the best saftey in the NFL.
    And we have just as much to prove as they do, actually more.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888
    you guys gotta get on the smack talk forum this is getting ridiculous

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475
    No dude, there is no question in my mind that article was a 100% bias, did they talk about how we've had the best run stoping team in the NFL for the last 2 years? Or talk about our top 5 pass rush?Or talk about LT's domination against Oak?

Nope they talked about Oakland's new Defensive speed, forgeting completly about ours. Without them being able to run the ball or get more than a 3 step drop without pressure it will hurt Randy Moss's production too.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No he meant we have a RAIDERS TROLL in the Smack Forum here:

http://forums.bolttalk.net/showthread.php?t=3448

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LIAR !!!!!!

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888

i know your used to smacking around trumpie, but try something new. Join trumpie and myself in smacking raider fans :icon_tease:

15. Teutonic13

Teutonic13 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I did- and look at me now.....:icon_party:

A mere shadow of my former self- Banned from the Raiders forum for a year:unsure:

The only bummer is- I can't even ghet back there to get Banned For Life!!!:icon_tease: