1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Take a look at Callahan Bright? 6' 3" 343 lb NT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Apr 26, 2010.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/02/24/bright/index.html

Giving someone a really bad day here:

[​IMG]

Maybe AJ should at least try to bring him in for a look-see.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    although that would be nice, i dont see us addressing the defense any more than we alraedy have, albeit we havent addressed the line as much as we all would like i think we'll just have to make do.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think you are right, and that sucks. Especilly since AJ has said numerous times during interviews that defense wins championships, yet it doesn't seem like he is doing enough to improve the line

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Sure they would if they thought he was anygood. They are bringing in some WR from Lindenwood....where the hell is that? I dont see anybody signing Callahan Bright though and some idiots at .com wanted us to use a 4th round pick on him :icon_high:

5. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Bright IMO should be brought in, there are 3 other NT UDFA's we should look at also, Daryl Jackson, Mike Ward, and Aleric Mullins.

They are all small school guys with great size and measuarables but need to be coached up a bunch. IMO, they would be great canidates for the PS.

They could learn the system and be avaiable if we have any injuries this year. I would all for bringing all 4 into camp and sort them out there.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Or maybe they really like the guys already in place and think the addition of Cam Thomas is just what we need

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is a guy who still has the skills of a college freshman and his underdeveloped as a player. He should probably try the CFL.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How is that possible? They only have one NT on the roster. I don't care if it is this guy or someone else. Fact is, we only have one NT on the roster. We need to bring in at least one more, and preferably 2 to compete and push each other.

9. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Only one? Somebody had to play there when Jamal got hurt before the season started. They must like a couple of them they used there and then added Thomas. Sounds like Garay is one of them. Not sure if Scott or OG is the other but OG played there too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, you can play NT but it doesn't mean you are good at the position. No one on this team except Thomas and Martin have the size to play NT, and the team has said since the day Martin was drafted that he is a DE.

No one else on this team is big enough to play NT, and it showed las tyear when Garay, Boone, Scott, and OG all got blown up by a single blocker play after play. We need a guy who can occupy 2 blockers, not get dominated by one

11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Judging by te draft and FA'cy I'd say they like te candidates they have. It said Garay is over 320lbs so I guess he added weight and I don't know but if OG is to play there I'd guess be added some as well. We will just have to trust their plan.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Where does it say that because both Chargers.com and espn.com both say he is 303, same weight as OG and Bingham

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Hank Bauer said it while on an NFL program on TV and I believe Acee tweeted it as well. Both were talking about Garay. I haven't seen anything about that as far as OG. Just assuming if they planned to use him there, they would ask him to add some weight.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Those guys can say all they want that the Chargers are high on him, fact is he is still listed at 303, and got totally pushed around last year.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Actually, the fact is Hank Bauer knows a hell of lot more than you do (or any of us) about the players on the team, what they can and can't do and their status with the coaching staff.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is stating what the team believes. That has nothing to do with his knowledge of the team

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    .... :icon_wtf:

How does that have nothing to do with his knowledge of the team?

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Im sure it will be updated when they do the new depth charts. I dont take Bauers word for much but he does see those guys and if Garay told him he is 320+, then that i would believe.

You can believe what you want but the actions of the draft and offseason indicate to me that th4y are satisfied with what they have and the run defense was better toward the end of the year. OG went on IR with an injury and he will be better going into his 2nd season.
    Would i have liked to get another DL in the draft? Sure, and a OL too but it didnt happen and they said they think they are fine on the OL and only got Cam Thomas to fill a void at NT so what you see listed and what you think is needed dont matter much. I have to trust what they are doing.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    No, he was stating what he saw and or what he was told. He isnt saying he "believes" he is 320+.

Dont matter. Minicamps and TC are coming up and you will see for yourself. What is listed on the roster right now dont mean much. Jamal was listed at 305 for a few years then when we went to the 3-4, suddenly he was 349.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally agree, what I am questioning is whether they should be satisfied or not.

To expect any different actions from what we saw last year is a little unreasonable IMO.

A couple guys will get better with age, others will get worse with age, but as a group, the result will be very similar

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is because Jamal was 305 when he was drafted, and didn't start putting on significant weight for a few years

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    so you believe that playing together in the same system for a full year does not help? :tdown:

BTW I believe OG and Martin's progress will be way more noticable than the decline (if any) of the older guys, plus, Thomas might help some

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Will it help some, sure. But the talent level just isn't high enough to make a big difference IMO, mainly because we just don't have enough in the middle.

If we had a 2nd true NT, I would feel much better. But when our other NT's are a 30yo career backup(Garay), a guy who was pulled from a rental car agency (OG), and a guy who doesn't even fit the 3-4 (Scott), our Nose is being setup for failure.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    you are really closed-minded (where did Kurt Warner worked before the NFL? and he wasn't that young), OG played well, he can get better, NT are not neceseraly drafted as such, they can develop.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Kurt Warner also took several years to even get on the field, and spent several years in the Arena League before making any impact in the NFL. The Chargers are expecting this guy to be an impact player right away.

I never said OG won't be good. I said he isn't good right now, and to expect him to be good is unreasonable. He needs more than 9 games of NFL experience to be a quality player, even J-Wall took a few years to make any kind of impact

Not a very good example for you to use

26. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    No it's not unreasonable to think a second year player can be good after showing a lot of promise in his first year, granted NT take time to develope (which means that no matter who was drafted this year he wouldn't contribute much anyways) but he can contribute a lot

perfect example for me to use since you dismissed OG BECAUSE we has working on a rental car agency before comming in (not because he only played a short amount of time)

Bottom line, upgrades are always welcome, I (like most fans) would like pro-bowlers at every position but that's not going to happen, the Dline, while not spectacular by any means, did and will get the job done, we don't need a top 5 defense, just an average defense will do with this great offense

27. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    No what matters is how he plays on the field next year. Who cares what the Roster page on the team's website says, it has not been updated since last season. Come on.

28. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Just to clarify, OG worked at the Rent-A -Car place during the time he ws a UDFA signee and then part time while he was in camp till the Chargers signed him and put him on the roster.

UDFA don't get allot of money to come to camp, it is not unusual that they have regular jobs.

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Maybe Vaughn Martin will fatten up. He's listed at 6'4" 320. He adds 30 pounds and he'll be a Jamarcus Russell clone!!

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Comparing a guy who was playing football, just not in the NFL for 4 years prior to getting into the NFL, and a guy who wasn't playing football at all, is NOT a good comparison.

By the way, you are right, all young players take time. So why not bring in a veteran stop gap that can help them all, someone like John Henderson?