1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Take It For What It's Worth-Anschutz To Buy Part Of Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Nov 30, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    good point. but what the hell, politics is like ping pong.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    You get no argument from me on this one.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    In fairness to the City Of san Diego, Spanos wanted the land for free.

He never offered anything for the land. As a taxpayer, I have a problem with giving anything FREE to a billionare.

It is not so one sided as a messed up mayor or city attorney etc etc.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    interesting how its all working out. Looks like money wins over everything else yet again. Whats new.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Yeah but he was paying for a Stadium that included Condos and retail stores. It would have brought in property taxes and sales taxes to the city plus a Super Bowl every few years. It's just too bad that out politicians couldn't see the "big picture".

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is a money maker but not an excuse to give away tax payer land for free. The politicians have a responsibility to the tax payers first and the COUNTY of San Diego should have acted. They are well capitalized and well in the "black"

The City of San Diego takes too much of the fall in my mind. This deal would have never happened unless we had the County actively involved. They formed a joint powers authority back in the day to get the Murph done and anything short of that which involved the County as an active participant, this deal was headed for failure. This is why I was so frusrated because this deal needed the collective clout of the ENTIRE county to pull this off and that meant the formation of a joint powers authority and it never happened so F-it.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    You can add San Diego State, the Holiday Bowl, the Pointsetta Bowl, CIF Championships, and those World Cup Soccer Games. Also you can add the AMA Motocross, and Monster trucks.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    you need to make up your mind, your crying about land use for a stadium, and then you turn right around and cry about the team moving to LA because they dont have a stadium. You cry about blackouts, yet you wont buy a ticket. You quit going to games when we needed to show support.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think Tony lit up a little to much of the Buddha.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    What needs to be made up ? I do not complain about black outs so stop pulling crap out of yur azz. I deal with them by either attending for the last 48 years or stay home for the last two. How about you ?

The land use is a f'n no brainer. Why the fuc would you give tax payer land to a billionare for free ? What kind of business man are you ? Yeah I will complain about that until the cows come home. F-Spanos. Let him pay for taxpayer land. I do not think the taxpayers should help pad the owner of a football team with our money. They make enough from TV and ticket sales.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think it is sinking in Hater is paying full boat on a team he has admitted is not going to be loyal to him.

More power to him.

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    they have not moved now have they?
    I have not even heard if the offer has been accepted.

You said it has to be finished by the 31st of this month. that is not going to happen.

Right now we have the Raiders coming to town, and that is what I am getting ready for.

All we have heard is that one group wants to buy the Chargers, has there even been an official offer? How do you know that this is the only offer on the table? How do you know the Spanos Family will not reject the offer and take an offer from a group here in San Diego? The team has not left. You have them up in LA right now, and right now all you are doing is jumping to a conclusion based on rumors, is that good business? I would wait until all the facts are in.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If it does not happen by Dec. 31st then either Spanos is lying he is selling the team or there is a problem getting league approval.

The whole reason to get the team sold was because of the estate tax and the Dec 31 deadline.

IF that is the REAL reason and IF the deal is not done by Dec. 31st, then the Spanos's Estate eats a big tax bill upon death so why sell the team ? The whole process was to AVOID estate taxes. IF that is the case, this needs to get done by the end of the month or not at all.

This is why I say it will get fast tracked. Goldman Sachs has their list of buyers ready.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Because the NFL wants a team in LA now.

Why would a new owner buy the team to stay San Diego under the present conditions ?

Does that even make any business sense whatsoever given what the Chargers have done the last 8 years in committee after committee after committee searching for a stadium ?

Is there a billionare in San Diego County willing to take a risk on this team in getting a new stadium here and that the league would approve ? I do not think so.

Once Spanos said the team was being SOLD, if that did not smack you right between the eyes and wallet, then the end of this month will.

Get ready for the Raiders is right. This may be the LAST RAIDER HOME GAME you attend in San Diego so remember that fact going in and coming out.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654