1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Takeo Spikes joins Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That brings some nastiness and veteran experience/leadership to the defense. Nice signings all around. Yes, even Clary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Good to hear that Randy is back too...... need quality depth behind Gates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's a hard-nosed veteran and a team leader who credits manusky with helping resurrect his career
    He basically replaces Cooper and I'm good with that

• Like Like x 1
  5. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Nice Signing i have no problem with Takeo on the team he can bring some veteran Toughness to that Linebacking core

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    San Diego adds key leadership in Spikes
    July, 26, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

Credit the San Diego Chargers for striking first in the AFC West when it comes to adding a big name from outside their organization.

They also get a very big neck.

San Diego agreed to terms with former San Francisco inside linebacker Takeo Spikes on Tuesday. He reunites with former San Francisco defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, who is now San Diego’s defensive coordinator.

Spikes highlights a busy first day for the Chargers, who clearly are bent on returning to the playoffs after they saw their four-year AFC West championship run end in 2010. In addition to agreeing to terms with Spikes, San Diego agreed to bring back right tackle Jeromey Clary and tight end Randy McMichael. They agreed to terms with free-agent safety Bob Sanders prior to the lookout.

Spikes and Sanders bring terrific leadership to a defense that was No. 1 in the NFL last season. San Diego usually stays away from big-name free agents but they jumped at the chance to add Spikes on Tuesday.

“I think defensively you want to be as strong as you can be down the middle and with Spikes and then Sanders, you’ve got two strong personalities that bring a real aggressive presence to the defense,” San Diego coach Norv Turner said in a statement released by the team.

The Chargers said the team called Spikes at 7 a.m. PT Tuesday. It was the first minute teams could reach out to players.

“He is an outstanding player. Takeo will bring his physical, aggressive style to our defense,” general manager A.J. Smith said. “I love his competitiveness and instincts. I believe he will be an immediate contributor. To me, this is another Randall Godfrey type move for the Chargers.”

Spikes, 34, gives San Diego some clarity at inside linebacker. Stephen Cooper, Brandon Siler and Kevin Burnett are free agents. The team wants Burnett back. There was talk the Chargers would be interested in Green Bay’s Nick Barnett, who is expected to be set free soon. But the Spikes’ signing shows where the team’s priority was.

“It’s going to be great playing for Coach Manusky again,” Spikes said in a statement. “One of the intangibles that I bring is my leadership. Even though everybody is from different places across America, to me I feel like the great ones bring everybody together and believe in the same common goal, and that’s to win a championship. That’s why I’m in San Diego.”

The 14-year veteran had 109 tackles for the 49ers last season. Spikes, known for his strikingly large neck, will give San Diego a needed nasty demeanor. The Chargers were pushed around some on defense the past couple of season. Spikes and healthy Sanders should change that.

I could see the Chargers having some interest in another San Francisco defender, Manny Lawson, if the price is right. He is a solid outside linebacker.

Now, the Chargers need to lock up safety Eric Weddle and the free agency will be a strong one. Weddle will get interest elsewhere, though. Still, the Chargers view him as a priority.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I dont wanna wake up tommorow and find out that JAX or anyone for that matter has 'natched the Weddle family.

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I'm all for adding nastiness and leadership to our LB core

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ did what?? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :roflmao:

Smooth.

I'm very happy with this signing. We needed some bad attitude on D. More please.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Adios Coop. All of a sudden we have a v different looking middle in the LB core. Burnett to come back. He, Spikes, Butler (really looking forward to seeing him) and maybe Siler, lookin good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If we can't re-sign Burnett- we could always try and sign Nick Barnett

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    ILB is a soft spot in the defense spikes is long in tooth but experience with Ski's scheme helps out big time. Just plug the damn hole is all I ask and do it with pain.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Great signing AJ!!!! 1 or 2 more good signings like that, and you make up for the terrible signing of Clary

15. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    This pick up REALLY excites me. Good job AJ. Now go get Weddle back!

• Like Like x 2
  16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    But for the price don't you think Clary has some worth? Plus I really think he is going to be a much better player this year. (at least I hope so :p)

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I like what the Bolts are doing. For those complaining about Clary, he has done a decent job and been by far one of the more reliable linesmen we have. Could he be improved upon, yes, but through the draft.

Spikes, I like his motor and agression, his mouth at times not so much...
    Sanders, Well the IR team needs a captain too...

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Werd with sugar on top!

• Like Like x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    At backup money, I would have been OK with him coming back. But at $4mil per year, that is just ridiculous.

Had they brought him back at half of what he is making, and in a true competition for the RT job, I would be OK. But to hand him the job on a silver platter, that is just stupid

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Reliable in terms of health, not in production.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Both. Show me where his lack of production was. There were not a lot of sacks that could be laid at his feet. I saw him pulling and supporting the line in far more that a static stand up and block style. So to be honest I dont see why there is all the Clary angst.

Is there any youtube videos or anything like that will highlight you opinio and let me see what you are seeing?

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't have any youtube videos, but like you, I have watched every game multiple times, and every game, I saw him get blown up on multiple occasions. They may not have all resulted in sacks, but they definitely lead to pressure that should have been avoided.

On top of that, I don't think I have seen a good run on the right side of the line in quite a while, at least not very many.

So I don't put all the blame on Clarys feet, he is just as much to blame as that bum Vasquez.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok, I think I see the issue. So let me ask you a few questions;
    1) How many linesmen on the Oline did NOT get blown up from time to time?
    b) How many sacks did Clary give up?
    b*) Remember, a line man can go back so long as they maitian a pressence between themselves and the QB.
    3) Did any pressure come from the left side?
    d) How much impact did a young Vasquez have on the play at Clary's position?
    5) How did the rotations on the line impact Clary's play?

I would put forward the suggestion that the running woes of the Chargers can not, and should not be laid at the feet of the lines. Our RBs have been oft injured, but bruisers like Tolbert had success even though they are not speedsters. Mathews who has shown flashes of what he can be was hesitant behind the lines and often did not cut back or hit the holes quickly. When he did he made good yardage. All this I hope will improve this year as Mathews is healthy and the OL set without influx of new players having to not only learn the system but what the player next to them does.

Of course that is just my opinion...

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They'd best not waste time on Barnett, there are other teams out there that would take him. If we get him, then Burnett will have less leverage with us. I don't know that Burnett will get what he thinks he's worth and we might then be able to get him a tad less expensively.

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    What are the chances we get Manny Lawson and/or Nick Barnett?

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Barnett or Burnett?

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sorry, got pulled away to a meeting.

To answer your questions, at least as much as I can:
    1) They all have, but only Vasquez has been blown up more than Clary
    b) No idea
    b*) I know
    3) of course it did, but not as much as what came from the right
    d) Vasquez had a negative impact, but Clary sucked when Goff was next to him also. Maybe it isn't 100% the guard who is making him look bad
    5) No idea

What I do know, is that Clary is the 2nd worst linemen on the team (Among starters). we should have looked at upgrading that position instead of just maintaining the statusquo

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We better not plan to use Mouton and Butler as starters. We need another veteran next to Spikes. Maybe we get Kirk Morrison

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I hope he can be as successful as Godfrey was.

30. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345