1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Taking a Schein to the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers could defy low expectations
    ADAM SCHEIN
    Updated May 8, 2012 1:12 PM ET

1. NORV!

Norv Turner and I have a wonderful love/hate relationship. I give him a ton of credit. He doesn’t hear things secondhand. He listens to our SiriusXM NFL radio show en route to the office. Norv knows my takes, both positive and negative. And Turner’s been around the block. He knows he almost lost his gig at the end of last year, another season in which the Chargers didn’t live up to their preseason expectations. But when we talked with Norv on the show, it was clear he knows what needs to change from 2011 to 2012. And the response from Charger Nation after the interview was one that I hadn't heard from the San Diego fan base. Turner was so emotional, intelligent and energetic during the 20-minute conversation that Chargers fans called the show and chimed in on Twitter, pledging their allegiance to Norv and declaring, once again, that 2012 would be their year.

And it actually might happen.

This season, the Chargers won’t be puffed up in the press. They won’t be picked to win the division. The Broncos are now the media’s darlings after the trade for Peyton Manning. But don’t let the free-agency defection of Vincent Jackson fool you. The Chargers have put together an excellent offseason.

Turner said the biggest issue on defense last year that must be corrected was the inability to get to the quarterback and, consequently, the Chargers’ inability to get the opposition off the field on third down. Turner rightly believes San Diego has two instant impact rookies to aid the cause, Melvin Ingram and Kendall Reyes. Ingram was a true steal at No. 18. Nobody would’ve been surprised to see him go off the draft board in the top 10. Turner told us the Chargers had him rated as the top linebacker in the draft. Ingram corrects the biggest weakness. Reyes is a versatile and energetic defensive lineman whom San Diego gobbled up in Round 2.

San Diego also signed rock-steady linebacker Jarret Johnson, who upgrades the core in the locker room, practice field and on game day. I loved the Chargers' signing of Robert Meachem to replace Jackson. Turner loves Meachem's game-breaking ability and knack for going up and getting the ball. The Chargers are going to feature Meachem more than he was used in New Orleans, and I echo Turner’s sentiments that the wideout will be up for the challenge. Turner gushed about bringing in both Eddie Royal and Roscoe Parrish, filling a major void for Philip Rivers in the slot.

And then there’s Rivers. Turner believes two things led to Rivers’ interception happy ways last year. Norv stressed that there must be continuity and legit depth on the offensive line. The front office went out of its way to ensure that by re-signing Jared Gaither. Thirteen different linemen played for San Diego last year, and it killed them.

Instead of Rivers living up to my lofty status as a preseason MVP, Rivers was trying to do too much and force the issue, according to Turner. Perhaps it was a function of the offensive line, the defensive deficiencies or the rash of injuries. But Turner, a noted quarterback guru, has studied all the errors and swears it won’t happen again.

I still believe Rivers is a star and the best quarterback in the AFC West. That includes No. 18 in Denver. Look across the board. The Chargers should be better than the Broncos.

I’ve been here before. I’ve been “Norved,” let down by the Chargers. Remember Dante Rosario? Remember the Bengals in 2010? The Jets in 2011?

But maybe flying under the radar is the best-case scenario for Norv in a make-or-break year for him in San Diego.

I like the look and feel of the Chargers, yet again.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Fu.ck Denver :devilish:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Good take, I honestly think if we have continuity at OL and good depth, plus you add in the new CBA, which I love - signing these rookies immediately and these players being able to get workouts in and camps coming soon. I really think Rivers can be a 30+ touchdown and less than 15 turnover (INT&Fumbles) type guy this year and throw for over 5,000 yards this year.

You add in if Mathews can get going as well, sets up the play actions and bubble screen game, which I hope is implemented with Royal, Green, and Brown while Floyd, Gates, and Meachem stretch the field.

Now take it, I don't expect Floyd or Meachem to play 16 games this year. I think there might be a time were we don't have one or both this year. But thats fine, we have guys like Brown, Royal, and maybe even Parrish? You can even throw Green out there at WR as well.

I love the depth this year! Finally Norv and AJ woke up. Logan Harrell is gonna be another one of those UDFA's that will go unnoticed now and but will be noticed in a year or two from now.

4. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Got my popcorn ready. Some folks round here are not going to let a positive spin on Norv go unscathed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Tell sign that I picked up Turner talking about the big defensive impact Ingram and Reyes will have which is why those 2 were the primary goals to sign right away, The others Im sure will follow within the week especially Green seeing how the Tight Ends picked right @ him were signed today and Taylor needs to get in to start working. (Im curious to see how they go about signing Troutman)

Another one I picked up was him categorizing Parrish with Royal and Meachem with WR's that will help Rivers this year which tells me he has the upper hand over Goodman and Spurlock

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554

The more I think about that pick the more rediculous it seems. I know its tough to knock 5th round draft choices because so few work out, but you can't tell me this guy makes our team better than someone like Cyrus Gray, Shaun Prater, Brandon Washington, Billy Winn, or even a luxury pick like Criner, McNutt, or Streeter.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't see a positive spin on Norv, but rather a positive spin on the team.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I can't believe Norv is gonna change or get it done.... I just can't. I think we are gona see more of the same BS, poor game/clock mgmt, 4 man rush/prevent D (although I'm praying Pagano never resorts to this crap), Nate missing clutch kicks, us getting burned on 3rd down etc etc......

But, is that gona stop me pulling for my team?. No freakin way. Go Bolts!!.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Exactly, doesn't make our team better this year, I was sure Washington was going to us then and once I read we got Troutman I wasn't sure what to think. 3 years looking back this may have been the best pick of the draft but as of now especially knowing he'll miss his rookie season it has me thinking more negative thoughts about it then positive. I also thought we should have addressed a tackle over a guard anyways, and oddly enough not just because I want him to replace Clary, if Clary and or Gaither get hurt I'm a little hesitant to say Henderson out there makes me comfortable