1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tale of the Tape: ATL @ SD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Series leader: Atl (7-1)
    Coach vs. Opp. Smith 1-0, Turner 0-3
    It could be argued that stats in the second week of the NFL are about as useful as udders on a bull, and I would be one to agree. However it is what it is (Thanks AJ…) The Chargers have not really faced a test like the falcons this early in the season, and I think the Falcons could prove to be their finest test. Here is why;

The Chargers have always seemed to struggle in covering the Tight End position, and Falcons fly in with one of the best in the game. Good ole Tony Gonzales, formerly of the Kansas City Chief, oh so long ago. Tony is an ageless wonder who each season finds a way to refine his game. I respect the heck out of this guy because he is the ultimate competitor. He can get down field and use his big body to block the defender as he makes the catch. He is much like Antonio Gates in that respect. Through two games Tony is the third leading Tight End in the league with 12 receptions for 123 yards and 2 touch downs. That will be one of the main challenges for the Chargers, stopping Tony Gonzales. Oh yeah, Tony also is tied for the lead in the league among all pass catchers in YAC (yards after the catch).

Easy huh? Well maybe not… factor in that Atlanta also has a few good receivers and it looks like a test for our secondary is neigh. Roddy White in particular will challenge our secondary. He is ranked 5th among the league’s wide outs with 14 receptions for 189 yards and 1 touch down. He is a good route runner and has some soft hands.

But let’s not throw in the towel yet, after all that is what the end of the first quarter is for, right? (sarcasm). The Chargers last played the Falcons in 2008. During that game Matt Ryan, Quarterback of the Falcons amassed a passer rating of 130.2. That said, that was then and this is now. The Chargers pass rush has been looking much improved over last year’s offering. We have young linebackers who are able to rush the passer, and young defensive linemen who can push the pocket. This is refreshing to many Chargers fans, and could get better. Antonio Garay has yet to play a game and is listed as questionable for the Atlanta game.

The Chargers pass rush has been doing some nice things, including last Sunday, rushing the Tennessee passer into throwing an interception to Eric Weddle, the arguable leader of the defensive backfield. The Chargers will have to get a big game from their pass rush this Sunday. Falcon’s QB Matt Ryan is red hot right now, and statistically the best QB playing right now.

Atlanta is a middle of the pack defense statistically. But they showed some real team speed last week in their early man handling of Denver’s Peyton Manning (will that ever feel right to say… ‘Denver’s Peyton Manning?’ Ewe…). They were able to disguise their coverage’s and force some turnovers. This could be a problem because frankly I have not been overly impressed with the Chargers Offensive Line thus far. I take my hat off to Chargers QB Philip Rivers for moving around in the pocket to avoid some sacks, but he has been forced into multiple fumbles due to defensive pressure (which the Chargers recovered).

The Chargers will have to employ a short passing game with a mixture of the ‘keep ‘em honest’ run in order to set up the pass. They will also have to continue to work the middle of the field with the Tight Ends and slant passes, something we have seen them do so far through the first two games.

So Atlanta is an excellent litmus test for the Chargers. If they come out, punch the Falcons in mouth and win the game, the league will take notice.

That said, I predict that the Falcons will extend their series record against the Chargers this Sunday to 8-1. Chargers 17, Atlanta 24

Rankings:
    Total O: Total D:
    ATL – 21 SD - 3
    SD – 19 ATL - 17

Passing O Passing D:
    ATL – 12 SD - 12
    SD – 14 ATL - 15

Rushing O: Rushing D:
    ATL – 26 SD - 1
    SD – 22 ATL - 25

Scoring O: Scoring D:
    ATL – 2 SD - 2
    SD – 5 ATL - 15

Misc:
    That San Diego Chargers appear set to follow up White Hot Sunday with Pitch Black Sunday. The Chargers are facing a blackout due to lack of ticket sales.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Tale of the Tap?

3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I see us running the ball a lot against what some say is an undersized D. I see our d continuing their run stuffing and will contain the passing game enough for us to win. Flip your score chargers 24 falcons 17.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yea! what you never tap anything... Wait... You are like a brazillian years old, of course you dont tap anything! ;)

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    People age differently in Brazil?:unsure:

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Tapped a few kegs recently....... does that count? ;)

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Indeed it does! I sit corrected.... :D

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I love my Bolts, but imo this game is too close to predict. And with that I will take the Falcons for +3.

Tho considering our recent history in Arrowhead, I would love to go into week 4 3-0 if we do I think KC steals another one from us.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    :rolleyes:

:chiefssuck:

:abq2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Depends on whether they get their D back in shape. If they're fielding all their #1s, then they'll be tough. But they're a cakewalk right now.

And Cassell sucks.

11. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I seem to be the only person who honestly believes the Bolts are going to show up big time and make a statement that the rest of the league is going to have to listen to. Our passing game is more than capable hanging with whatever the Falcons might have, if not surpassing it, and our run game will definitely be more present. Weddle and Bigby over the top should help contain any big plays, and dink and dunks to Gonzalex don't really frighten me, as our I believe our issues with TE to be over with the coming of Ming the Merciless and Donald Butler (who needs an awesome nickname ASAP.)

If the Bolts are contenders this year, which I definitely believe they are, they will make a statement here.

Chargers 38 - Falcons 16

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think we'll win, mainly because we're at home, but 38-16? Wow.

Offense: We should be able to score, they don't have any pass rushers that we need to fear, and I think getting Mathews back is a bigger boost than anyone realizes. There were multiple games last year where RM was our only offense as both a runner and receiver, he's the real deal when he's on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if we broke 30pts.

Defense: I love our front 7 + Eric Weddle, but both CBs and SS are a concern, and a bad concern considering the strength of ATL is their WRs and TE. The game will be decided by the play of our CBs, and how long they can cover White and Jones.

Prediction: Chargers 31 Falcons 28.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    865 - 82, chargers win. Duh ;)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Hmm, didn't expect a defensive game

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Syd Predictions.jpg

You're funny when you're drunk, Syd. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont see it as a belief issue. It is a head vs. heart issue. My heart says Chargers all the way 'wooot!' however, my head realizes the Falcons game plays directly against our weaknesses. Can you tell me that histroically the Chargers have not had major difficulties covering the Tight End position? The Falcons game plan features a lot of tight end.

Our Offensive Line is a work in progress, can anyone refute that? The Falcons are tied for 6th in the league for team sacks. The Chargers... tied for 21. Again, attacking our team weakness.

The Falcons as a whole are far more healthy (sans the secondary). It will be a shoot out. I dont see our OL playing well enough to keep Rivers up if we have to go full shoot out.

Our victories both come over winless teams. I am not saying that the Falcons victories over the Chiefs and Broncos give them a lot more field cred, but slowing down the Peyton lovefest that was going on isnt a bad way to build credit.

I hope for nothing more than everyone to rub my face in picking against the victorious Chargers. My heart is there, my head says "Though the Chargers are good and will win the west, they will lose this game because the Falcons are designed to win this type game, much like the Chargers were designed to win against Peyton's Colts."

If the Chargers do win, it will go a long way to making the rest of the league reconsider the strength of the core team, especially as it will be going 3-0 with key injuries.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm gonna wait to see what Em Diggy says, then go with the opposite. :tup:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh thats cold! :eek:

Hella funny... But Cold... :laugh:

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No worries .... he loves me. :abq1:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Carnally? :cautious:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't kiss & tell. You should know that. :inlove:

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Ah you are not in on the super accurate Sydalish predictions are you? I don't need to be drunk to make them ;) but since I won't be able to make the podcast chatroom (again *sob*) I figured I'd post my prediction, it's been forev~

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Same team that has beaten us twice in 2 years. And yes Cassell does suck and I hope they dont figure that out for another 3 years.

Also they beat us last year wout Moe and Berry. They dont have to field their #1s.

Arrowhead is just a hard place for us to come out of. If we do win that game, Im gonna bet its by less than 7.

Also I wont be at this years game, so maybe we will finaly win one.

24. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I say we beat the falcons and KC but not by much. I worry more about Arrowhwad than I do the Falcons

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Are you forgetting Rivers stupid kneel down mistake?....... what are the odds of that happening again. The Chargers should've swept the Chiefs last year.

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If I'm playing the injury card for the Chiefs, it's only fair to do it for the Chargers too--the OL was shambles in KC.
    Also, our D really sucked last year. That looks to have been fixed. Chargers 2011 are not the same team at all as Chargers 2012. Way more pressure from the D this year. Our #1s against them in their current state: it's not a contest. If they get their #1s back on D, they might do alright. Cassell still sucks though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

in München steht ein Hofbräuhaus,
    eins, zwei, g'suffa!

28. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I'll say Chargers 27 Falcons 24 with Tweety providing the game winner at the end. :bolt:

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Granted, I was just talkin to my Chef fan friend tonight about KC, and we ended up talkin about how KC, as he puts it: *we suck again* and we started on the topic of Cassel and recent stat hounds revealing how MUCH he sucks. Ill give you the short and if you got the time just check out one of the CHef forums for the full onslaugt of pandemonium.

Anyway turns out that Cassel has only won 6 games in his KC career against playoff teams, 2 of those us in 2010 and 11. And we all know how that 2010 game went. Turns out KC fans have come out against Cassel to say that thoat win against SD in 2010 game was purely LUCK. Also before this we were talkin about the *We Suck Again* mentality and how KC and Pioli are purpusfully keeping SUCKY players and only in it for a profit. Even at the expense of putting/paying for players that WILL play and perform on the field. Its not hard to see that honestly by the sole action of giving Cassel another chance/another year that they have that they dont really care about winning or appealing to the fans. KC fans are talkin about being fed up with the BS. It sucks that it is what it is. :tup: BUTT imo watch they take all of this fan talk and turning it into buletin material (that and the probable crushing loss to the resurging Saints) just in time for a BIG home game stand to take back their destiny and reignite the fanbase back onto the wagon for another flogging of the wallet.

Im just saying watch out for KC, especially if we beat ATL *which I have been convinced by some here that we do stand a good chance of turning the eye of the NFL with a big win* They arent clicking in thier 3-4 in the trenches, but they have playmakers or potential *Houston* all over the middle and the Secondary. We gave them 2010 in spite of both teams injuries, but this game will have the same chance to go KCs way for the fact taht maybe this time Moeaki and/or Berry dont get injured or maybe Dbowe starts gettin more consistent with his catching *especialy the gimmies , I hear*

35-27 Bolts win, dont ask me about KC game.... if we do tho.

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ok seems to me you all keep talkin about the 2011 game and not thinkin about the 2010 opener. With Moeaki and Berry and Charles we got decimated. On every aspect of the game. Remember the birth of the worst ST in SD history??

Jus sayin NO Charger fan should be overlooking the Chefs next week.

Also more of my opinon on the topic of KCs players and the idea that they are paying millions to sucky players (cassel) I gotta say they have at least 12 Superstar calibur players, some moreso because of Offense/Defensive scheme most just out and out Ballers. That deffinatly isnt enuff superstars to put butts in seats.