1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Talks sour with sixth-round pick

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee

Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    10:16 p.m. July 28, 2009

What was supposed to be simple and even seemed imminent is now stalled.

Kevin Ellison, the Chargers' sixth-round pick, is not in camp and may not be for a while.

According to sources, the sides differ on contract length and both appear firm in their position.

The Chargers have offered a four-year deal commensurate with the contracts signed by the picks directly preceding and following Ellison. Those pacts were for four years and $1.85 million with signing bonuses of $101,750 and $100,600.

Ellison, one of four sixth-rounders who remain unsigned, is asking for three years with a smaller signing bonus.

Two other fourth-rounders got three-year deals.

Sources also confirmed that Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith spoke Tuesday with Jerome Stanley, Ellison's agent.

Smith rarely speaks with agents, leaving negotiations to Vice President Ed McGuire. When Smith inserts himself in such situations, there is definitely an impasse. Smith doesn't deal in niceties, especially with agents.

Head coach Norv Turner has called Ellison's absence “disappointing” and even said he hopes the rookie doesn't fall so far behind as to jeopardize his making the roster.

While that scenario is not likely, Ellison has lost valuable lead-in reps in preparation for his battle for playing time with Clinton Hart and Steve Gregory at strong safety.

Provided Ellison is in camp by Friday, when veterans report, the high football intelligence he showed in coaching sessions should allow him to make that up.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Ellison impasse

By Kevin Acee

July 28, 2009, 7:33 p.m.

The Chargers have one of the NFL's final sixth-rounders to have not signed.

The reason Kevin Ellison is not practicing with the rest of the Chargers rookies this week is that he wants a three-year deal while the team is offering four.

If you're wondering what SOP for a sixth rounder is: just two other sixth-rounders got three-year deals this year. The other 25 who have signed got four-year pacts. That doesn't necessarily mean Ellison should accept four. I'm just telling you the facts.

Two of the three remaining unsigned sixth-rounders are on teams (or, technically, will be on teams) that haven't opened camp yet.

Ellison wants to have control of his career earlier. Even though he would still be a restricted free agent when a three-year deal ran out, he could make more if he stays healthy and plays well, perhaps with a new contract sooner than if he signed for four years now.

The Chargers want him locked up for four years, because that gives them control for longer.

Sources tell me this could go on for a while, as both sides appear rooted in their stances. That's just difficult to believe, but we'll see.

Regardless, this is hurting Ellison on the field. He is set to challenge Clinton Hart and Steve Gregory for playing time.

If Ellison gets in by Friday, however, he'll be fine. He demonstrated a strong football intelligence in offseason coaching sessions. ​

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Lame. Just sign the f'n contract scrub so we can get rid of that other scrub you're replacing already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    FAWK!!!! :icon_evil:

You're an unproven rookie. Get your *** into camp & stop acting like a USC diva.

5. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    well, since he's a sixth rounder I understand the frustration, but I'm not gonna rail against the kid yet.

I remember people *****ing about Merriman too, and he turned out ok. And yes, I know there's a difference between a first rounder and a 6th rounder.

I'm just not gonna get too pissy yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Kevin Ellison meet AJ "Rainman" Smith.

He does not waver.

"DefinitelyFour... yeah... fouryears... yeah... definitelyfour..."

Have fun watching from the bench for half the year as Steve F;ucking Gregory soaks up your reps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Why doesnt he just hold out for some top 10 money also.

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Using "sixth round pick" and "holdout" in the same sentence makes baby Jesus cry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :lol: QFT!

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    We have all ready dealt with Ryan Leaf, this guy should be easy. Also he had better be the shut down guy we have been looking for, or he is going to be laughed out of the league.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    How can talks sour with a 6th round pick? This dude's brother is smoking something.

He might be the first 6th round pick in league history to not report before the veterans. Clueless.

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    My first instinct in to agree with all the opinions posted so far.

This guy is a 6th rounder, just sign the paper.

However, if he did just sign a 4 year contract and after 3 stellar years chooses to hold out for more money, then I'd be saying 'You agreed to the contract, stop crying!' So I guess he should ask for what he wants and if he isn't willing to play the so be it.

That being said.... just sign the f-ing paper, chump.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I don't know contract specifics in the NFL as well as I do the NBA, but are there contracts with player options? In this case if he signed a 4 year deal with a player option, he'd have the option to opt out of his contract with San Diego and play out his last year of contract with another team if he wants. I don't think there is such thing in the NFL, correct me if I'm wrong.

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I called this in the other thread. It was pretty obvious he wanted 3 years while the team wanted 4. It's the only reason to hold out when you're a 6th rounder and already slotted.

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    This punk thinks he can hold the Chargers by the balls simply because we have safety issues. And yes, baby Jesus is def. crying.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I've been wondering if possibly ellison told his agent brother that Hart really does suuck and that the chargers really do need him to play saftey. And the chargers know it. Which gives him the leverage.

The chargers should just put in ellinsons contract that if he starts or has so much playing time that he makes that much more. That should be incentive enough to have to sign the 4 year deal. And the incentives go up every year he starts. Put the pressure of performance in ellisons hands. He has to accomplish so much and then he'll be rewarded.

18. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    he signed - finally - thank god.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    As the Clinton Hart watch goes to full throttle, time to lock it up yo.

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ugh... does this mean Trumpy will be sniffing around here fighting about how superawesomehisbffhartis?

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I wouldn't expect anything less.

:popcorn: